GDT for Monday Night Afternoon 

Week # 13 GDT

Who: 11-0 Steelers vs. Football Team 4-7

When: Monday, December 7, 2020 @ 5:00 pm

Where: Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA

steelers.jpg

All Time Series: Steelers lead 42-33-3 including 6 in a row

29708067412_98b727442d.jpg

Last Meeting: 9/12/2016 The Steelers offense started slow, but exploded in 38-16 win. Big Ben threw for 300 yards 3 TD's and 1 INT. AB put up 126 yards receiving on 8 receptions and 2 TD's, and De'Angelo Williams ran for 143 yards on 26 carries and added 2 TD's. The Steelers had an explosive offensive day with a 300 yard passer, a 100 yard rusher, and a 100 yard receiver. 

hqdefault.jpg

I am still quite ticked off at the play of the Steelers despite earning a W against the Ravens. Onto the next game, but the Steelers have got to start playing more consistently!

bozqmaz1mvmvxe6ft1mq.jpg

Joe Haden intercepts an RG III pass and scores on a pick six! The defense put up as many TD's as the offense against Baltimore. That has to improve for the Steelers offense. 

Washington Football Team Key Offensive Players: QB Alex Smith, RB Antonio Gibson, WR Terry McLauren, TE Logan Thomas, OL Brandon Scherff

xckwz88xnzb00b1uoypd.jpg

Steelers defense will need to keep the Washington Football Team off balance on offense by stopping the run. Antonio Gibson has been running wild of late.

iu6wulm6n2yyzxtvohkk.jpg

Former Ohio State WR Terry McLauren is having an excellent season with 69 catches, 967 yards, and 3 TD's. The defense has to stop having the occasional mental lapse as Alex Smith, McLauren and company can definitely burn them. 

ghaeblim5rwr4cmuzxf8.jpg

TE Logan Thomas has really come into his own and is a dual threat on gadget plays or catching passes. Washington has some strong offensive weapons at RB, WR, and TE.

5fb456acf698fff782de1967823865359fd530cc

Can Alex Highsmith flex his muscles in Bud Dupree's place? I am sure the rookie will be tested early and often. Washington is a pretty balanced offense. Hopefully the Steelers defense can make them one dimensional. Don't look at the record, but Washington is playing solid football. Despite their improvement, this is a football team that the Steelers should beat, but also one that is more than capable of upsetting the undefeated Steelers as well. 

1185915778.jpg.0.jpg

The Steelers defense will have its work cut out for them Monday afternoon. Hopefully the offense will help them do some celebrating of their own.

usa_today_10342648.0.jpg

Steelers defense will have to rely more upon the leadership and play of Cam Heyward and TJ Watt with the losses of Bud Dupree and Devon Bush for the year. Spillane and Highsmith can't replace them, but have made strong contributions to the defense.

ee125c1937ff4633bcb940b0a4c9bd2c.jpg?w=1

Washington Football Team Key Defensive Players: DE's Chase Young and Montez Sweat, DT's Daron payne and Jonathan Allen, CB's Kendall Fuller & Ronald Darby, S Kamren Curl

qrltcbysuetrz0bko9ii.jpg

Chase Young has made an impact as a rookie on the Washington DL. It is a DL that is loaded with top tier players.

liywuvgieaaaxslujpbf.jpg

The Steelers can throw and be successful, but the young WR's must be more consistent and catch the catchable ball. This plagued and disrupted the offense against the Ravens. Dionte Johnson as been very Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at times with his play. He's very talented, elusive and has what it takes to be successful. He has to start being more consistent with his good play.

Lions_Redskins_Football_47393-1880x1254.

Montez makes a lot of OL's and QB's Sweat. He is a very talented pass rusher and teamed with their DL' makes up one of the premier young DL's in the NFL. The Steelers would be well served to save Big Ben some drop backs and try to establish the run against this DL. The problem is that the interior of the line is very stout with DT Daron Payne.

umk5xrrgf8aht3atzgvm.jpg

It is time to move past the bad games and mistakes and let this offense start to play more consistently. They have had slow starts in 7 or 8 of the 11 games played. This TEAM can do some great things when they play complimentary football. That just has not happened enough in 2020 despite its success and wins. The Steelers offense can and must get better and more consistent in its execution.

qkkqezwukhlmvvffmjpz.jpg

You get some hot and cold from young players.  Bennie Snell got in the doghouse a little earlier in the season, but was one of the reasons the Steelers avoided an embarrassing loss to the Ravens.  He ran hard and was the offenses most consistent skill player besides Big Ben (who didn't have one of his top games due to drops and missed open receivers).  Snell might be the hot hand at RB right now to jumpstart the running game. If he doesn't start, he played like he he has earned some more carries.

cvkrjxjy0dwstryuioda.jpg

FB's are a dying breed in the NFL. The Steelers actually have one of the better one in Derrick Watt. Use him more than on just special teams coverage. He was in on a third down redzone attempt that he was wide open and Big Ben missed. I have been saying that this team has a lot of weapons. Use them all. Watt getting an occasional touch via run or pass can help move the chains or even put up six instead of three.

zxnnkqvgdsfzbhe9nf0n.jpg

This is the teams most reliable and consistent weapon at WR. He has taken a fair share of criticism and has been called a #2, but he is the best  and most reliable that the Steelers have. He's not the fastest, or most elusive or explosive. He just makes plays though. He is more than  capable of running more than three and four yard patterns. 

529599AP18344046941019.jpgdepleted

After a close win in an embarrassing performance. HC Mike Tomlin was none too happy with his team's play. Will the rest of the team catch their coaches fire and passion moving forward? The standard is the standard! 

My Final Comments: The Steelers are arguably the ugliest 11-0 team in the history of the NFL according to some experts and haters in the media and on social media. They are barely viewed as a top ten let alone #1 team in the NFL. Everyone seems to think that it is being done with smoke and mirrors. You don't win games in the NFL with smoke and mirrors. There are weaknesses in the Steelers game, but there is also a lot of untapped strength. We are getting to the nitty-gritty part of the season and schedule. This team has yet to play its best football or a complete football game. They played a pretty darn good 29 minutes and 44 seconds in Tennessee. They need to start doing that for 60 minutes. 

One good thing about this is that the Steelers do not have any "you're undefeated and need to lose a game" comments, because most people are still underestimating the results. The Steelers are not steamrolling teams like the 2007 Patriots or 1985 Bears. In the end it doesn't matter if you win by one or 31.  However, this Steelers football team needs to start playing more consistently in all phases of their game. The defense starts strong, then the offense putters along. The special teams play is up and down. Missed EP's, poor coverage, etc are things that must be cleaned up.  Coaching and preparation have to improve because the team is inconsistent. There is a big difference between good and great. I do believe the 2007 Patriots were a great team, but no one will remember them compared to the 2001 team that lost five games, beat the Rams in the SB. I don't want to see this team that way like the 2001, 2004, 2016, and 2017 teams that were very good and championship caliber, but didn't put it all together. 

Predictions: "The only thing perfect about the 2020 Steelers is our win/loss record.  I predict that will continue. The offense plays better and coach Tomlin and company light a fire under this team. Embarrassment can be a heck of a motivator. This last win felt like a loss and that may actually keep them rooted. The Steelers continue to win and their quest towards Lombardi #7. The Pittsburgh Steelers over the Washington Football Team 30 - 20.

P.S. In all of my anger at the Steelers performance last week, I forgot to add some humor.

AP_191690023842-e1461275298932.jpg

The WFT (Washington Football Team) was to be called the Football Team Formerly Known as an Offensive Term!

But I was afraid that if they won, they would hit me back with: 

GameBlouses.jpg

Edited by Steeler Hitman
Completed GDT

13 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

hqdefault.jpg

529599AP18344046941019.jpg

After the close home win against a depleted Baltimore Ravens team, Coach Mike Tomlin was none too happy. Will the players follow their coaches lead and play with fire and passion? 

Prediction: The Steelers are arguably the ugliest undefeated team in NFL history if you listen to social media, the general media and many NFL fans around the league. They sit at 11-0 and yet  are viewed as barely a top ten team let alone being at the top of the 

for good reason, the public don't regard this 11-0 team like others from the past. Look at last night for a reason , the Ravens were missing many key players, and we need a good spot and a pick 6 to win at home.

how does Tomlin being mad translate to  "catch the football just like you have your entire life"? And don't forget "to not fumble" 

How do these WR's drop so many passes is something I can't understand. There was no issue with weather and many of the passes had a nice touch.

No excuses, and if they don't catch, find someone that will. JW hands are usually good, throw more to him and Claypool and JJSS.  

DJ could be inactive for a game, he can think it over 

old_dog_house_by_kagoyme-d69nczr.jpg&f=1

Edited by 3rivers
  • Like 1

Prior to the Ravens game I thought this was going to be our first loss. Washington is really starting to look better. Alex Smith has looked solid, easily their best QB on that roster. Laughable that they even tried going with Allen after **** canning Haskins. 

However I think it bodes well for us that Tomlin is absolutely fired up after that mess last night. If this team comes out with a renewed focus Monday they should win handedly. Steelers are absolutely the better team top to bottom, for what ever that’s worth.

Also I’d really love it if Ben doesn’t get killed. FedEx Field is where QB’s legs go to die and we don’t need that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

for good reason, the public don't regard this 11-0 team like others from the past. Look at last night for a reason , the Ravens were missing many key players, and we need a good spot and a pick 6 to win at home.

I try not to say too many things when I get emotional or mad.  I myself am ironically in the doghouse of sorts after snapping at my significant other. She thought I was taking things a bit too seriously regarding the Steelers play and That I should give the team a break inlight of all of the Covid-19 stuff, delays, distractions, etc. (Yes baby!) 🙄

My love life aside, I try to honestly and objectively look and evaluate things. This team did not play well. PERIOD! They have played in 11 games and have not had a complete game in all four phases yet. We are 11 games deep at this point of the season.  The biggest consistency has been the inconsistency.

If you are limited or at full strength and do your best and fail, I have mad respect and I love for you. Example: 2019  Steelers and coaches over-achieved in my humble opinion without Big Ben. They played their hearts out every week and then the defense got worn down in many games because the offense just couldn't consistently drive and score points. I am probably prouder of that 8-8 squad than the 2016 and 2017 teams that had great records, high hopes, championship expectations, but still (IMHO) didn't always play their best football especially in the play-offs.

To me, this win feels like a loss. And maybe that is not a bad thing. Hopefully this team starts playing together as a complete team and not spurts of great defense, inefficient offense, bad special teams and/or combinations of each mixed. There was a great line in the movie the Color of Money. Vince tells Julian, "Hey Julian, I just want your best game..."

The_Color_of_Money-899404208-large.jpg

Hey 2020 Pittsburgh Steelers, I just want your best games. I don't honestly believe that any of us have seen that yet. I would rather it be in January and February than October - December, but you have to win to get there. Who says playing consistently well week in and week out is a bad thing?  This team is close to making history and creating its own identity and legacy from all the other championship teams. With all that is wrong in the world, the chaos, confusion, etc,. That is not a bad thing to be able to hang your hat on. Greatness during adverse times. That's pretty special to me.

P.S. Eventually I will get back out the doghouse myself. I mean, she loves me and I love her. Perhaps I will get out even soon enough to be able to get a little honey on the stinger. 😂😂😂

We%27ve+Got+Jokes.jpg

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

how does Tomlin being mad translate to  "catch the football just like you have your entire life"? And don't forget "to not fumble" 

We have much bigger problems if Coach T and Big Ben are the only two people not angry, disappointed or not satisfied with the effort from that game. As he said in his presser, "No need to reinvent the wheel."  There was a lack of concentration and focus from the receivers as a group. However, James Washington was certainly clutch when it counted. 

How do these WR's drop so many passes is something I can't understand. There was no issue with weather and many of the passes had a nice touch.

As I said above, concentration and focus. Distractions can come in a variety of different things. Sometimes it is even in the form of over-confidence. 

No excuses, and if they don't catch, find someone that will. JW hands are usually good, throw more to him and Claypool and JJSS.  

DJ could be inactive for a game, he can think it over 

I seriously think that DJ is that far in the doghouse. He certainly dropped his fair share of catchable passes. However, so did Ebron, Claypool and the rest of the entire company. It is a team game. You win together and lose together. I think they will rebound together. 

44 minutes ago, Neumatic said:

Prior to the Ravens game I thought this was going to be our first loss. Washington is really starting to look better. Alex Smith has looked solid, easily their best QB on that roster. Laughable that they even tried going with Allen after **** canning Haskins. 

However I think it bodes well for us that Tomlin is absolutely fired up after that mess last night. If this team comes out with a renewed focus Monday they should win handedly. Steelers are absolutely the better team top to bottom, for what ever that’s worth.

Also I’d really love it if Ben doesn’t get killed. FedEx Field is where QB’s legs go to die and we don’t need that.

Game is at Heinz Field in Da Burgh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Steelers can lose this game and still have the #1 seed.

Raiders really did us a solid there. Too bad they couldn’t pull off the second one too. 

53 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Washington's defensive line is about the only line in the NFL I'd trade with ours. Montez Sweat, Chase Young, those horses from Bama, Ryan Kerrigan. Our line is going to have their hands full trying to corral these guys. 

Definitely their strongest point. Luckily the strong point of our passing offense is the ability to get the ball out quick. I’d be terrified if Ben was still doing his Houdini 15 second back yard football stuff. Not sure how they are against the run but it won’t matter with how we’ve been running the ball.

Playing around with the playoff machine on ESPN....I think the AFC is going to be a wild ride these last 5 weeks. 

@jebrick is right about being able to lose to Washington this weekend and retain the 1 seed. Same can be said about the Bengals game at this point -- so basically, we can lose one of our two most winnable games left, which is.....weird, but also very on brand.

Is Drew Brees back for week 15 against the Chiefs? The way we played on Wednesday, I really hope the Chiefs tally one more in the loss column and they go Broncos, @ Dolphins, @ Saints, Falcons, Chargers. Very interested to see the Chiefs play that Dolphins defense and also love a scrappy Chargers game in week 17. 

The Dolphins actually have a really fun end of the season, from a viewing perspective. They have the Chiefs, Raiders, and Bills - They can really mess with the AFC picture. If the Bills lose to the 49ers this weekend and to us next weekend, that division gets really interesting with a week 17 matchup against those two for who most likely becomes the sacrificial lamb to the Chiefs. 

The Ravens toughest game comes down to the Browns in week 14. That game probably decides which of them makes the playoff, but other than that -- the Ravens should cruise. 

A Chiefs loss to the Saints is only a small minus for them other than a loss.  Looking at tie breakers, I can accept a lost to the WFT.  If the Chiefs happen to lose to the Saints then a loss to the Bills or Colts is fine.  Since the Chiefs lost to a divisional foe it counts more in the tie breaks.  All in all, I would rather sweep the AFC North.

Even if the Steelers lose just one game to not the Browns and Bengals, they are #1 seed.  i am hoping they are the worst undefeated team at the end of the season that the NFL has ever seen  😁

Edited by jebrick

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

A Chiefs loss to the Saints is only a small minus for them other than a loss.  Looking at tie breakers, I can accept a lost to the WFT.  If the Chiefs happen to lose to the Saints then a loss to the Bills or Colts is fine.  Since the Chiefs lost to a divisional foe it counts more in the tie breaks.  All in all, I would rather sweep the AFC North.

Even if the Steelers lose just one game to not the Browns and Bengals, they are #1 seed.  i am hoping they are the worst undefeated team at the end of the season that the NFL has ever seen  😁

I think if we lose any AFC game except the Bengals we lose 1st seed to a 15-1 Chiefs team. Division record isn’t a high tiebreaker or a tiebreaker at all iirc.

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Even if the Steelers lose just one game to not the Browns and Bengals, they are #1 seed.  i am hoping they are the worst undefeated team at the end of the season that the NFL has ever seen  😁

I think if we lose any AFC game except the Bengals we lose 1st seed to a 15-1 Chiefs team. Division record isn’t a high tiebreaker or a tiebreaker at all iirc.

TX Steeler, I think you are correct. 

NFL Play-off Tie Breakers are:

• Head-to-head, if applicable.
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  • Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  • Strength of victory.
  • Strength of schedule.
  • Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  • Best net points in all games.
  • Coin toss.

• Like 1