Olin Kreutz: Why Texans are a 'cautionary tale' for Bears fans

JAF-N72EX

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah, I'd hate it if the Bears had a good QB and good LT 🙄

On a serious note, that franchise is f***ed. They have no draft capital and no cap space. Their owners are racist and their FO is a mess.

They're a franchise with a very bleak immediate future. I'd rather be just about any other organization right now

Probably wouldn't be in this situation if not for Rick Smith having to step away for personal reasons and BOB basically having no clue how to run an NFL franchise.  Texans owners are to blame for giving him all that power. 

Like there was absolutely no reason to trade away Hopkins. If he doesn't make that trade they are a way way better team right now.

Oh well.  I still think they are a more attractive opening than Bears would be right now.

11 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Think you took it in a different way. I took it as, even if we had our guys to take us to the next level, we aren’t getting there unless we have the premier coach to do it. And Nagy isn’t that guy. 

Love olin kreutz. Nice hearing his name again 

If that's the message that Olin is trying to get across then I agree with him 100%.  To me Nagy unknowingly sabotaged this season by inserting Foles into the lineup for no good reason, which likely cost this team 1 or 2 more wins.

He still has a chance to redeem himself for that mistake but it's going to be an uphill battle.

So if in the end this team fails to make the PO's then Nagy should absolutely feel the heat for that and likely lose his job because if I were the owners I would question why in the hell did he make that move when it's clear it was a bad one.

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If that's the message that Olin is trying to get across then I agree with him 100%.  To me Nagy unknowingly sabotaged this season by inserting Foles into the lineup for no good reason, which likely cost this team 1 or 2 more wins.

He still has a chance to redeem himself for that mistake but it's going to be an uphill battle.

So if in the end this team fails to make the PO's then Nagy should absolutely feel the heat for that and likely lose his job because if I were the owners I would question why in the hell did he make that move when it's clear it was a bad one.

Play calling killed the offense, not the qb running the offense 

Olin is wrong.  First off look at the 06 super bowl. Bears had a better overall team, a historically good D the best kick returner of all time who took the first play to the house and Payton Manning picked apart that cover 2 defense.  Second he played in a different era.  This is a passing league now.  Defense doesn’t win championship anymore. QBs do.  Third as Texan go.  They made some really stupid trades. These idiots thought trading deandre Hopkins for an injured used RB past his prime.     

14 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The Texans were being run by an absolute psychopath who ran them into the ground.

The Texans also have 6 playoff appearances in the last decade and 4 playoff wins.

The Texans are not a cautionary tale, they are a better franchise than the Bears and that is sad.

I wonder how many playoffs the Bears, Vikes, and Lions would've been to if we played in the weakest division in football and without having to play a HOF QB.

8 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Olin is wrong.  First off look at the 06 super bowl. Bears had a better overall team, a historically good D the best kick returner of all time who took the first play to the house and Payton Manning picked apart that cover 2 defense.  Second he played in a different era.  This is a passing league now.  Defense doesn’t win championship anymore. QBs do.  Third as Texan go.  They made some really stupid trades. These idiots thought trading deandre Hopkins for an injured used RB past his prime.     

Peyton played like trash for 3 quarters of that game. In fact, he shouldn't have even won SBMVP.....Rhodes should have. Lovie sold out the run to stop the pass and Rhodes toasted us all game. A game without Tommie Harris in the middle, mind you.

A great passing offense led by once-in-a-generation talent at QB only needs a defense and ST to be average.  A great defense only needs the offense and STs to be average. 

But most teams' units don't fall under either those categories so they don't have that luxury.  A good QB/offense still need a solid defense and special teams to win a SB. Especially, playing at the same level in the playoffs as they did in the regular season.  Because when the playoffs come around, I don't care what a team did in the regular season. The playoffs are a different animal. You hear coaches and players talking about this all of the time, and it shows in both analytics and eye tests.

I agree that the QB position is the most important position in football, but it takes much more than that to win a super bowl. See Marino, Ryan, Favre, Rodgers, Rivers, as examples. 

The Hopkins trade was terrible, yes. But the offense and passing game are not the reason the Texans are one of the worst teams in the league right now. The terrible defense, special teams, and internal infrastructure are. 

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I wonder how many playoffs the Bears, Vikes, and Lions would've been to if we played in the weakest division in football and without having to play a HOF QB.

Peyton played like trash for 3 quarters of that game. In fact, he shouldn't have even won SBMVP.....Rhodes should have. Lovie sold out the run to stop the pass and Rhodes toasted us all game. A game without Tommie Harris in the middle, mind you.

A great passing offense led by once-in-a-generation talent at QB only needs a defense and ST to be average.  A great defense only needs the offense and STs to be average. 

But most teams' units don't fall under either those categories so they don't have that luxury.  A good QB/offense still need a solid defense and special teams to win a SB. Especially, playing at the same level in the playoffs as they did in the regular season.  Because when the playoffs come around, I don't care what a team did in the regular season. The playoffs are a different animal. You hear coaches and players talking about this all of the time, and it shows in both analytics and eye tests.

I agree that the QB position is the most important position in football, but it takes much more than that to win a super bowl. See Marino, Ryan, Favre, Rodgers, Rivers, as examples. 

The Hopkins trade was terrible, yes. But the offense and passing game are not the reason the Texans are one of the worst teams in the league right now. The terrible defense, special teams, and internal infrastructure are. 

I wonder how many they would have been in if they had good QB play?

Olin’s wrong.  Case in point the Cleveland Browns and Baker Mayfield.  That was a great game last night.  Lamar had to use the bathroom and almost deuced himself. LOL!  The browns were terrible for how many years drafted QB after QB in the top of the draft.  They hit on mayfield and they are 9-4 going to the playoffs with a bright future ahead of them.    

3 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Olin’s wrong.  Case in point the Cleveland Browns and Baker Mayfield.  That was a great game last night.  Lamar had to use the bathroom and almost deuced himself. LOL!  The browns were terrible for how many years drafted QB after QB in the top of the draft.  They hit on mayfield and they are 9-4 going to the playoffs with a bright future ahead of them.    

They also hit on Myles Garrett and a few other nice pieces.  Plus their head coach actually knows what he is doing.  What a night and day difference from Freddie Kitchens to Kevin Stefanski.

I was really high on Mayfield coming into the NFL but I don't think he's all that much better than Mitch and they are very similar players.

Coaching and scheming is huge.

9 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

They also hit on Myles Garrett and a few other nice pieces.  Plus their head coach actually knows what he is doing.  What a night and day difference from Freddie Kitchens to Kevin Stefanski.

I was really high on Mayfield coming into the NFL but I don't think he's all that much better than Mitch and they are very similar players.

Mayfield has confidence and the “IT” factor.  Idk if Mitch ever had that. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Mayfield has confidence and the “IT” factor.  Idk if Mitch ever had that. 

I guess so. Though their careers have gone pretty similarly to this point.

Would have loved to see what Mitch could have done with a competent offensive coach.

It's no coincidence that Baker is playing much better this year under Stefanski vs how he was under Hugh Jackson and Freddie Kitchens.

You know funny thing is Texans traded first rounders for both that QB and that LT or they would be much better now and in near future.  

Bears could have simply stood pat and drafted both.   I pounded table for the LT and many here pounded table for that QB during each draft.   Was not hindsight, but both before and real time.

29 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Cleveland is loaded with high end talent.  Don't be fooled.

Mayfield is a below average QB.  I like him because he is small, relatively unathletic and feisty, but that is reality. 

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

You know funny thing is Texans traded first rounders for both that QB and that LT or they would be much better now and in near future.  

Bears could have simply stood pat and drafted both.   I pounded table for the LT and many here pounded table for that QB during each draft.   Was not hindsight, but both before and real time.

Good call. Could have had Tunsil- who I thought they were trading up for and instead took Floyd- and we all know the 3 guys they passed on for Trubisky.

• Like 1