MNF Browns vs Ravens

candyman93

Who wins?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Browns
    • Ravens

28 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

They’re not exclusively 5, just on the next tier. Still a damn good defense.

Not sure why this was a semantics hill you chose to die on. If Burrow did what Baker just did, I’m sure you wouldn’t be claiming the Ravens weren’t ‘one of the best defenses in the league’.

Baker has adjusted to the adjustments of his rookie season ‘tells’ and is back to being a high quality QB.

Bakers biggest problem is OBJ. Baker needs to trust that you will run your routes correctly and actually catch the ball. He thrives in a timing and rhythm offense. He’d honestly be amazing running New England’s system, but I’m happy he’s here instead lol

It’s why Rashard Higgins looks like a beast with Baker. You put Higgins on literally any other team and he’s a fringe practice squad WR trying to make your roster.

OBJ honestly needs a guy like Lamar. He needs to freelance and do things off script.

• Like 1

Just now, candyman93 said:

Bakers biggest problem is OBJ. Baker needs to trust that you will run your routes correctly and actually catch the ball. He thrives in a timing and rhythm offense. He’d honestly be amazing running New England’s system, but I’m happy he’s here instead lol

It’s why Rashard Higgins looks like a beast with Baker. You put Higgins on literally any other team and he’s a fringe practice squad WR trying to make your roster.

OBJ honestly needs a guy like Lamar. He needs to freelance and do things off script.

Dont Put That Evil On Me Reaction GIF by MOODMAN - Find & Share on GIPHY

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

He'd be good with someone like Rodgers too.

@Malfatron we'll give you guys OBJ for a third. :)

20 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Not sure why this was a semantics hill you chose to die on. If Burrow did what Baker just did, I’m sure you wouldn’t be claiming the Ravens weren’t ‘one of the best defenses in the league’.

Baker has adjusted to the adjustments of his rookie season ‘tells’ and is back to being a high quality QB.

Okay, okay. I give.

• Like 1

Re: Baker since OBJ went out...

By DVOA here's who he's faced:

CIN (OBJ hurt early) - 29th

LV - 25th

HOU - 26th

PHI - 22nd

TEN - 31st

BAL - 11th

And you combine it with the top 5 rated OL - I'd be careful about anointing Baker as back.   He gets a clean pocket and great protection most games now - and the D's he's faced have been pretty awful.  His 1H play was highly suspect, and the TO was a crusher.  I give him full credit for engineering the comeback drives, but he's still late on a lot of reads, and his decision-making still leaves a lot to be desired.  

Don't get me wrong, he's miles ahead of 2019.  But that's a function of the OL returning to elite form, and giving him clean pockets.   The WR's winning isn't on OBJ vs. no OBJ - that's one of the easiest schedules to face.  When it's on Baker to create plays vs. pressure, or extend plays on his own, I don't see an elite, or even top 10 guy there.   I'm not there yet with the WR's being able to function better without OBJ - the test will be more games against better D's.  Meanwhile, Baker's showing what most NFL-level QB's do - give them clean pockets and time, most NFL starters succeed.   But I don't think he's the straw stirring the drink, but the bus driver on an elite machine, and a beautiful run of QB-friendly matchups (the weather masked how easy it was with LV & HOU played in monsoons).   

FWIW, even with the above said, i think CLE has the foundation for sustained success - because that DL is amazing, and the secondary will be vastly improved when Ward returns (and even more next year when Greedy Williams is back).  Upgrading the LB's is about the easiest hole to fix.   That could be one scary unit in 2021.  Add an elite run game, and a top 5 OL, that's how you win even with a game manager QB.  For this year, though, when the Browns face elite pass D's (and I don't consider BAL elite in the pass D department, JMO, so not trying to restart the convo there lol), well, we'll see.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

... he can haz Watson?

Watson would be another fantastic QB for him.

Baker has shown he can have success with scrubs. Hell, he made Breshad Permian servicable. It’s just not working with OBJ, BUT it’s not because of his attitude. That gets overblown.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: Baker since OBJ went out...

By DVOA here's who he's faced:

CIN (OBJ hurt early) - 29th

LV - 25th

HOU - 26th

PHI - 22nd

TEN - 31st

BAL - 11th

And you combine it with the top 5 rated OL - I'd be careful about anointing Baker as back.   He gets a clean pocket and great protection most games now - and the D's he's faced have been pretty awful.  His 1H play was highly suspect, and the TO was a crusher.  I give him full credit for engineering the comeback drives, but he's still late on a lot of reads, and his decision-making still leaves a lot to be desired.  

Don't get me wrong, he's miles ahead of 2019.  But that's a function of the OL returning to elite form, and giving him clean pockets.    When it's on him to create plays vs. pressure, or better pass D's, I don't see an elite, or even top 10 guy there.   He's showing what most NFL-level QB's do - give them clean pockets and time, most NFL starters succeed.   But I don't think he's the straw stirring the drink, but the bus driver on an elite machine.

I appreciate you posting this, but I feel like DVOA changes every week. Who’s actually on the top 10 of that list?

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

PIT, NO, WAS, LAR, MIA.   Been pretty consistent for a while now.  IND is surging up to 6, TAM dropping down to 8.

He did really well vs Washington and was whooping Indy in the first half. Offense went into the gutter the 2nd half of that game.

If you want to hold the really ugly losses against Baker and use that as an argument for why he’s “bad” I get it.

However, the run game also got completely shut down in those games too. Yet, I don’t ever see “Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt” and “bad” used in the same sentence.