2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

gashing the OL to make cap space for a golladay signing would be about as cool as dumping mack because he was too expensive only to give AB a monster contract

if i'm them, i shoot for a one year deal with a vet like Green/Hilton. they can play for their next contract, be professional, and mentor the young guys. same reason i want a vet CB like sherman or hayward on defense. need a bridge for the kids

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

I am holing off judgment for at last another week until all of this shakes out but I have to side with @ronjon1990on this, as this has also been my stance regarding this franchise for 20 years.  Every offseason there are a ton of fans on here that are optimistic before FA and the draft only to have their hearts broken.  The long term fans who really understand football see that YOY we sign castoff, retread trash then reach on players in the draft that never pan out.  The fans who justify our moves are homers and lack the key understanding that football is not just about high priced signings (T. Williams, T. Brown, Joyner, Littleton) football is about good coaching, good management and roster depth.  This team is and has been so devoid of overall talent, depth and quality starters it's embarrassing. 

Coaches never wanted to come here when old man Davis was in charge because sadly at the end he lost his marbles and refused to relinquish power.  Players also didn't want to come here because this once great franchise had become a joke.  Both players and agents wanted nothing to do with this franchise because it was known as graveyard for football careers.  We became the laughing stock of the league and have not recovered from that stigma. 

I will never forget when we traded for Richard Seymour and he went MIA for days.  He knew that he was going from the class of the league to the biggest joke in the NFL and his chances at the HOF were gone.  I assure you he was exploring every legal option possible to try not to play here.  Sadly, that same stigma that was around then is still here today and do you want to know why?  We never win and we're never close.  We have glimpses of good play here and there but have been in the realm of dumpster fire and mediocrity for two decades.  It's one step forward then two steps backwards with this franchise.

We have backups as our starters because no respectable player wants to sign here and kill their career, that is a fact and I don't blame them.  The media can spin the Hudson cut 5000 ways but only a few people know the truth.  I have been saying this about Gruden since day one, he is a rah rah, in your face type of HC who never deliver the goods.  His in your face act is wearing thin even with stand up processionals like Hudson.  He's all bark and no bite and that get's old fast. 

Once again I will reserve judgement for at least a week because maybe they have a plan by freeing up this cap space but so far it does not look good, in fact it is looking exactly like I had feared it would look.  Another year with a roster littered with holes at key positions, backups as starters, zero depth, no direction, no plan and zero leadership.  Sadly this is Raider football and has been for two decades.  One of these years they will turn it around but as it stands right now based on talent and depth we are approximately a 4 win football team. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

LB core looking solid, just need to fix OL, DTs, FS

maybe WR, CB

Solid?  We have the same LB corp as last year, that same LB corp that lead us to the 30th ranked D in the NFL.  I would hardly call anything we have on D solid but to each their own...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Solid?  We have the same LB corp as last year, that same LB corp that lead us to the 30th ranked D in the NFL.  I would hardly call anything we have on D solid but to each their own...

Kwit was above average last season and Morrow was decent. Littleton has played at a high level before and fits better in Bradley's scheme, have to hope he plays better in a better scheme behind a better D-Line (praying). lol

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Is Gruden gone after this season? Because they are not making the playoffs.

They are basically back to square one with holes every where, rebuilding again but with less resources than 2018.

Carr is going to regress hard behind an entirely new Oline, we all see that coming right?

What is the plan here? It feels like playoffs or bust and you blow major holes in the trenches... this can't end well right?

I'm just praying we're bad enough to have a pick at the top of the draft. Let the new HC/GM get Kedon Slovis or Spencer Rattler. Carr will be on the last year of his deal with zero dead cap so we can let him sit for a year behind Carr or if we think he's ready move on from Carr and start our next rebuild. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Kwit was above average last season and Morrow was decent. Littleton has played at a high level before and fits better in Bradley's scheme, have to hope he plays better in a better scheme behind a better D-Line (praying). lol

These guys will never produce without a pass rush and that is a fact.  Fans can scream about "scheme fits" all they want but no scheme works when you have zero pass rush.  The interior Dline needs to be addressed before I make any assessments on back end defensive players because as of right now QB's will step up in the pocket will all day to pick apart our D.

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Antonio is a turd, but yeah. Trent was lazy, but yeah. Both are correct. 

What concerns me more is Agholor reportedly being unhappy enough to ultimately not resign despite the brass talking about it often. Now Hudson reportedly wanted out? 

I read that there was mutual interest in Agholor coming back but we weren't willing to pay him $13M APY. 

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

These guys will never produce without a pass rush and that is a fact.  Fans can scream about "scheme fits" all they want but no scheme works when you have zero pass rush.  The interior Dline needs to be addressed before I make any assessments on back end defensive players because as of right now QB's will step up in the pocket will all day to pick apart our D.

It's only the second day of the tampering period and it's been relatively quiet for most teams except New England who overpaid a bunch of role players. We got one of the better edge rushers in the league on a solid deal. I'm not happy with the Hudson decision but there's still a lot of time left for the front office to make moves. 

35 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

gashing the OL to make cap space for a golladay signing would be about as cool as dumping mack because he was too expensive only to give AB a monster contract

if i'm them, i shoot for a one year deal with a vet like Green/Hilton. they can play for their next contract, be professional, and mentor the young guys. same reason i want a vet CB like sherman or hayward on defense. need a bridge for the kids

With all of the moves we've made it's pretty clear that Gruden has no plan in terms of how he wants to construct the roster. 

4 hours ago, roi34 said:

I'm so confused ... cut gabe keep hudson. 

but whatever.. just build up defense now. and sign some oline depth and prob draft oline I'd imagine. def WR signing coming

Yeah, Gabe has 0 dead cap and Hudson had $15M. Plus we already had viable/cheaper replacements for Gabe with Good, Incognito, and Long.