2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Disagree with this. We had the money every year but we just spent it on bad fits, had bad luck with injuries and drafted poorly IMO. Plus we employed a terrible DC because he was a friend of the HC.

It's also the same excuse we've heard for years. Cut guys for cap space! Sign a remedial player we can easily ditch for cap space! Cap space! Cap space! We all scream for cap space!

And then we sign Carl Nassib, Jason Witten, Jeff Heath, and a plethora of other replacement level talent to bloated contracts and do objectively dumb crap like making Mariota the highest paid backup in the league with a virtually untradable contract. 

Meanwhile, we got the Saints down there in New Orleans proving time and time again that there's plenty of wiggle room when you have a franchise that knows what the hell it's doing. 

We're run by amateurs. Not just poor scouts and bad luck, but actual jokes who get fleeced by FAs and trades more frequently than Gruden says "c'mon man!". 

I'm really shocked at the amount of blind sheepish faith and denialism going on. I guess that's the stage of grief we're now in though.

• Like 3

So what's done is done and whilst I don't like releasing Hudson the focus now becomes who are we filling the OL out with? 

I'd like to bring both Incognito and Good back. Not sure if that's likely any more but that would pin down both guard spots. I really like Jackson as he's put his all into playing for us, playing through injuries etc. But I can't see him coming back. That leaves OC unless we deem James suitable and RT assuming Parker is a backup LT.

Guys I'd look out for are Germain Ifedi who could play OG and has some experience at tackle under Cable, Kelvin Beachum who has always been solid and our old friend David Sharpe at RT. I genuinely can't think of any good options at OC.

I wouldn't be ecstatic but I'd be placated with a line of: Miller, Incognito, James, Ifedi, Sharpe.

If we had Good and Beachum or Long and Good on the right I think it would be underwhelming but not disastrous. With shelling the salaries on the OL like we have I think it's clear we're not going after big names so hope our route designs are good and expect Carr to be getting the ball out quick, much to the chagrin of most 😁 

22 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

So what's done is done and whilst I don't like releasing Hudson the focus now becomes who are we filling the OL out with? 

I'd like to bring both Incognito and Good back. Not sure if that's likely any more but that would pin down both guard spots. I really like Jackson as he's put his all into playing for us, playing through injuries etc. But I can't see him coming back. That leaves OC unless we deem James suitable and RT assuming Parker is a backup LT.

Guys I'd look out for are Germain Ifedi who could play OG and has some experience at tackle under Cable, Kelvin Beachum who has always been solid and our old friend David Sharpe at RT. I genuinely can't think of any good options at OC.

I wouldn't be ecstatic but I'd be placated with a line of: Miller, Incognito, James, Ifedi, Sharpe.

If we had Good and Beachum or Long and Good on the right I think it would be underwhelming but not disastrous. With shelling the salaries on the OL like we have I think it's clear we're not going after big names so hope our route designs are good and expect Carr to be getting the ball out quick, much to the chagrin of most 😁 

Ifedi just re-signed with the Bears

8 hours ago, Jerry said:

Just wanted to say that I don't care about us really signing a WR in FA. We are essentially looking to replace 50 receptions and 8 touchdowns. I don't think we need to break the bank to make that happen. I think we will all be in better moods if we sign a decent OL and DB in the coming days. I've seen posters already talking rebuild, I think we need to pump the brakes on that one. 2 days and fans are writing suicide notes. Breathe fellas! Just breathe.

I hate when fans say we "essentially need to replace 50 receptions and 8 touchdowns". It's more nuanced than that. A lot of those catches were impact plays. Big catches in big moments. And it takes away from the leadership Nelly brought to the offense. There is more to replace that 50 catches and 8 TDs

As the team stands, they need starters at LG, C, RG, RT, WR, DT, CB, FS. They just jettisoned their offensive leadership and have no leadership on defense. Looks like rebuild to me. 

Add to that, they have little to no depth across the roster and will be starting below average players across the team. 

Rather than telling us to breath, maybe take in what is happening and what Gruden has created? A divisive, directionless mess with no accountability. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Geezy said:

Crazy that everyone was b**tching about our overpaid OL, then we get rid of em and the sky is falling lol. We spent too much on non premium positions and once the production slipped, we switched it up. I’m not mad at it. 

I think you are forgetting how poorly Carr plays without protection which is why they spent so heavily on the Oline to start with. If you can't protect Derek, everything falls apart quickly for your offense. Remember 2018?

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think you are forgetting how poorly Carr plays without protection which is why they spent so heavily on the Oline to start with. If you can't protect Derek, everything falls apart quickly for your offense. Remember 2018?

Now THATS TRUE! But you know free agency officially starts at 1pm right? And the draft is next month. At least that’s what I remember.

Edited by Jeremy408

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Now THATS TRUE! But you know free agency officially starts at 1pm right? And the draft is next month. At least that’s what I remember.

You know we they have 4 holes to fill on the Oline. They have no truly viable in house options to start. Expecting rookies to have day 1 impact is setting yourself up for disappointment. The top FAs are long gone, so any additions represent a downgrade. And the lynchpin C position will be a massive downgrade.

Oh.. and the still need to rebuild a defense that was ranked worst in franchise history.

Point is . . . if you're thinking playoffs in 2021, I can't help but laugh at you.

41 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Ethan Pocic, drafted by Cable, can play G and C. And you're probably going to see 2 OL drafted before the end of round 4.

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You know we they have 4 holes to fill on the Oline. They have no truly viable in house options to start. Expecting rookies to have day 1 impact is setting yourself up for disappointment. The top FAs are long gone, so any additions represent a downgrade. And the lynchpin C position will be a massive downgrade.

Oh.. and the still need to rebuild a defense that was ranked worst in franchise history.

Point is . . . if you're thinking playoffs in 2021, I can't help but laugh at you.

You know the 3 of our offensive lineman from last year haven’t been signed by other teams yet right among other players at the same position that may be better right?