2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

If we're going to go after a #1 WR, the two that make the most sense are DK Metcalf or Calvin Ridley. 

If the Seahawks are going to rebuild from the ground up I'd offer a Stefon Diggs type of package for Metcalf.

And Ridley recently indicated that he wants to be traded, I imagine it'll cost around a 2nd round pick, maybe a 3rd and another mid round pick. With Ridley you'd only be getting him on a 1 year deal so if it doesn't work out you can move on but if it does you can extend him.

Davante Adams would be great but he's 29 years old and the only way we're going to acquire him is if Green Bay tags him then trades him. So we'd have to give up significant draft capital and commit a big extension to him as he enters his 30's. 

Gallup, Chark, and Godwin are all coming off of major lower leg injuries and will be seeking sizable deals. And Allen Robinson will likely be seeking something similar to what Corey Davis/Kenny Golladay got last offseason. 

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Some good WR's will be available this offseason. 

Calvin Ridley is reportedly seeking a trade, him stepping away midseason makes it difficult to really gauge his value though.

DK Metcalf could become available via trade if Pete retires and Wilson is traded.

Davante Adams could hit free agency but I think it's more likely that he's tagged then traded if Rodgers leaves.

Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, Michael Gallup, Mike Williams, Christian Kirk, Will Fuller, and JuJu Smith-Schuster will all hit the market.

Not a bad year to need WR help but lots of these guys have major injury or consistency concerns. 

• Like 1

Just now, jpaulthe1st said:

Not a bad year to need WR help but lots of these guys have major injury or consistency concerns. 

DK Metcalf has produced throughout his career and is only 24 years old. He's just scratching the surface of what he can become. Calvin Ridley was a solid #2 WR his first two seasons that took a major leap in year 3 when Julio was out of the offense. Unfortunately Matt Ryan declined this year in a new scheme and Ridley stepped away for most of the season. Which is why I think he's the perfect candidate to buy low on.

Ridley just turned 27, hasn't had any major injuries, and showed last season that he's capable of producing at an elite level. (90 receptions, 1,400 yards/9 TD)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

DK Metcalf has produced throughout his career and is only 24 years old. He's just scratching the surface of what he can become. Calvin Ridley was a solid #2 WR his first two seasons that took a major leap in year 3 when Julio was out of the offense. Unfortunately Matt Ryan declined this year in a new scheme and Ridley stepped away for most of the season. Which is why I think he's the perfect candidate to buy low on.

Ridley just turned 27, hasn't had any major injuries, and showed last season that he's capable of producing at an elite level. (90 receptions, 1,400 yards/9 TD)

Agreed on DK. Ridley gives me pause though. He produced at that elite level alongside Julio Jones and wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire this year prior to his mental health break. Also, he only has a year left on his contract so we could potentially be giving up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for a one year rental. 

41 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Agreed on DK. Ridley gives me pause though. He produced at that elite level alongside Julio Jones and wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire this year prior to his mental health break. Also, he only has a year left on his contract so we could potentially be giving up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for a one year rental. 

In 7 games with Julio playing he had 40 receptions for 609 yards, in the 8 games he played without Julio he had 50 receptions for 765 yards. He wasn't great this year but the Falcons offense as a whole took step back under new coach Arthur Smith. Last year Matt Ryan passed for 4,500 yards/26 TD, this year he has passed for 3,700 yards/19 TD. 

With how our draft picks have panned out there's a good chance that 2nd/3rd rounder might be a one year rental, lol.

49 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Ridley is actually a better fit in our offense IMO, but the mental health concerns are significant.

51 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Ridley is actually a better fit in our offense IMO, but the mental health concerns are significant.

The Rams traded Brandin Cooks for a 2nd round pick, I'd imagine that Ridley would cost about the same in a trade. He's only on a one year deal so I think it's definitely worth the gamble, if it doesn't work out there's no financial implications after next season. Ridley never had any issues before this season and has never gotten into any trouble on or off the field. 

Edited by NYRaider

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Rams traded Brandin Cooks for a 2nd round pick, I'd imagine that Ridley would cost about the same in a trade. He's only on a one year deal so I think it's definitely worth the gamble, if it doesn't work out there's no financial implications after next season. Ridley never had any issues before this season and has never gotten into any trouble on or off the field. 

IK but what makes you think he won't have similar struggles in the future?

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

IK but what makes you think he won't have similar struggles in the future?

I think the fact that he stepped away from the game to focus on his mental health shows a lot of maturity. I mean look at Darren Waller, he was a full blown drug addict that was on the verge of committing suicide before we gave him a chance. I think having someone like Waller in our locker room who has had struggles with addiction/mental health and then turned his career around would be good for Ridley. 

Any player comes with risks, we just saw Corey Davis and Kenny Golladay get huge paydays and play terribly this season. The Jets and Giants have a huge financial commitment to them going forward. If we trade for Ridley and it doesn't work out, we can move on. There's not another WR on the market that provides his upside that you can take a one year flier on. And with how Mayock has blown draft capital I'd prefer to go after someone that has proven NFL production.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think the fact that he stepped away from the game to focus on his mental health shows a lot of maturity. I mean look at Darren Waller, he was a full blown drug addict that was on the verge of committing suicide before we gave him a chance. I think having someone like Waller in our locker room who has had struggles with addiction/mental health and then turned his career around would be good for Ridley. 

Any player comes with risks, we just saw Corey Davis and Kenny Golladay get huge paydays and play terribly this season. The Jets and Giants have a huge financial commitment to them going forward. If we trade for Ridley and it doesn't work out, we can move on. There's not another WR on the market that provides his upside that you can take a one year flier on. And with how Mayock has blown draft capital I'd prefer to go after someone that has proven NFL production.

Fair enough. I’d still do it for a 2nd as long as he doesn’t ask for 20-25 a year.

24 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Who knows with players these days lmao

If his agent has any common sense they're likely going to seek a trade somewhere that he can ball out next season then either be extended or get a big deal in free agency. $20M would make him one of the highest paid WR in the league.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He doesn't need to be the #1 that's Waller's job. Raiders just need reliable person to stretch the field and take advantage of when he has single coverage.