2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Hurst only had 0.5 sack in 2021 so I doubt that you'd be able to cut a highlight tape of him lookig like an All-Pro in 2021. Barmore's low snap count was because he was a backup in 2019 and was hurt during the beginning of the 2020 season. But yeah he definitely need to improve against the run. With a prospect like Barmore though you're betting on his traits, he has all of the tools you look for in a DT he just hasn't put it all together. But when he did flash he looked like a guy with Pro Bowl potential. 

PJ Hall showed up to training camp super out of shape in 2019. So much so that he was being called out publicly by Mayock. They put him on warning and then he showed up so out of shape in 2020 that we traded him and then he was immediately cut by Minnesota because he failed his physical. 

My point is that Hurst is a good penetrator in the pass game but a liability against the run. And, as a defensive tackle, his number one job is to hold up against the run.

I suspect Barmore's snap count in 2020 has more to do with his inability to hold up against the run early in games. His snaps significantly went up when Alabama was up big and he could pin his ears back with fresh legs. To me, Barmore's ceiling is a quality starting DT. He doesn't have that Kinlaw or Simmons-type upside that I look for in project DTs in the first round. Conversely, he isn't a safe pick either because he has very defined weaknesses that mean he likely can't start in the NFL right away.

The Raiders can get a fully developed defensive tackle in free agency for a relative bargain.

And I would have happily held on to Hall even with his weight issues. He was the best defensive tackle we had.

41 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Hurst has been solid but I was personally just expecting more from him. A lot of people had a late 1st/early 2nd round grade on him coming out of Michigan and then he fell to the 5th round after they found the heart issue at the combine. He had 4 sacks in 10 starts as a rookie and only had 0.5 sack last year as a third year player. I was hopeful that he'd actually become a pretty good starter here. 

all about who is playing next to u sometimes too. whole d line needs to Improve and depth too

12 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

My point is that Hurst is a good penetrator in the pass game but a liability against the run. And, as a defensive tackle, his number one job is to hold up against the run.

I suspect Barmore's snap count in 2020 has more to do with his inability to hold up against the run early in games. His snaps significantly went up when Alabama was up big and he could pin his ears back with fresh legs. To me, Barmore's ceiling is a quality starting DT. He doesn't have that Kinlaw or Simmons-type upside that I look for in project DTs in the first round. Conversely, he isn't a safe pick either because he has very defined weaknesses that mean he likely can't start in the NFL right away.

The Raiders can get a fully developed defensive tackle in free agency for a relative bargain.

And I would have happily held on to Hall even with his weight issues. He was the best defensive tackle we had.

Agreed on Hurst but he definitely should've played a lot more last season. The staff was just too tied to the idea that Collins was some demi-god, key to the defense type of player. 

I agree that his snap count or lack of snaps is definitely concerning. But again the draft is about traits and what a guy can develop into. Rod M is supposedly a defensive guru, he should be able to develop a guy like Barmore or Azeez. 

There are some solid DT prospects that should be there at 48. 

I think that it was more of a culture thing though. Mayock and Gruden were already pissed that he showed up out of shape in 2019 and called him out publicly. He showed up super out of shape again in 2020 and I think that they wanted to send a message to the team about accountability. Which is hilarious considering all we've heard from guys that were on the team is that we lacked accountability. 

8 minutes ago, roi34 said:

all about who is playing next to u sometimes too. whole d line needs to Improve and depth too

We need one or two true difference makers. The Rams are a perfect example of this. Having Donald on the DL makes life easier for the other defensive linemen, linebackers, and defensive backs because he's constantly eating double teams which frees up other rushers and is constantly getting pressure which means their DB's don't have to stay in coverage as long. Then they have Ramsey who essentially takes away half of the field and the opposing teams #1 WR so it makes life much easier for the rest of their DBs. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2021-who-are-the-best-players-available 

Looking at the NFL's list of top 100 free agents, guys that I hope we target include: 

DL

• Leonard Williams, DL

• Dalvin Tomlinson, NT 

• Denico Autry, DE

• Larry Ogunjobi, DT

• Ndamukong Suh, DT

Edge

• Bud Dupree, Edge

• Trey Hendrickson, Edge

• Jadeveon Clowney, Edge

• Matt Judon, Edge

• Kyle Van Noy, Edge 

• Romeo Okware, Edge 

• Leonard Floyd, Edge

• Haason Reddick, Edge 

• Melvin Ingram, Edge 

LB

• Matt Milano, LB 

• Jaylon Brown, LB 

• KJ Wright, LB

FS:

• Marus Maye, FS 

• John Johnson III, FS 

• Marcus Williams, FS 

• Anthony Haris, FS 

• Malik Hooker, FS

CB

• Shaquill Griffin, CB 

• Desmond King, CB 

• Quinton Dunbar, CB

• Richard Sherman, CB

Offensive players

• Daryl Williams, RT (If Brown is cut)

• Kelvin Beachum, RT (If Brown is cut)

• Alejandro Villanueva, RT (if Brown is cut)

• James Conner, RB

• Duke Johnson, RB 

Edited by NYRaider

On 12/16/2020 at 5:04 PM, RaisinBran said:

What do you guys think of Morrow's future? I think that we could easily sign another FA like Littleton, but I'd prefer us to build the defense's missing pieces through the draft.

I really want to draft Pete Werner or Jabril Cox to round out the LB core.

I’m all in.... like up to 4 years 80M (ideally 18.5Ma year though) on Leonard Williams if he hits the open market.  I’d gladly overpay a little bit.  I think there’s plenty of draft options to fill FS and we can even also sign a gut like Malik Hooker for something like 1y,3M.

I’d do after one big FA and wait for deals to fill out the roster Before the draft.... trade up and down all draft and get the guys we want.... and then be super active adding depth and value signings in FA (when players get cut)

42 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m all in.... like up to 4 years 80M (ideally 18.5Ma year though) on Leonard Williams if he hits the open market.  I’d gladly overpay a little bit.  I think there’s plenty of draft options to fill FS and we can even also sign a gut like Malik Hooker for something like 1y,3M.

I’d do after one big FA and wait for deals to fill out the roster Before the draft.... trade up and down all draft and get the guys we want.... and then be super active adding depth and value signings in FA (when players get cut)

If we could somehow come away with Leonard Williams and JJ3 I would probably cry. But I think Williams is getting $20M+ after how he played last season.

10 minutes ago, FreshPrince said:

Anyone know where we stand as far as cap space? I saw one site say 15 mil and another say 3. Don’t think the second had accounted for Richie’s release but that still wouldn’t get us to 15.

Spotrac is projecting a $185 million cap and Over the Cap projects a $180.5 million cap.

1 minute ago, Blazer026 said:

I think that’s a pretty fair contract. Would be happy with that. 

“I know that around the league, I’m not reporting that it’s done, people still expect [Agholor] to sign with the Raiders for around two years, $15 million,” Sports Illustrated’s Hondo Carpenter told the Clay and Pritch Morning Show on Friday.

I'd be happy if we brought him back at that price. Then we can focus almost solely on defense in free agency and the draft depending on what we do with Incognito and Brown.

• Like 1