Jared Goff - weak spot on the Rams?

BugzBunny101

14 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Overall, Goff is NOT as good as some Rams fans think and he’s NOT as bad as most fans think. 

Nope.  

He's just terrible.  A really terrible NFL QB, and I've been saying for a few years now that he's the worst player for Los Angeles.  

When they still had Todd Gurley, they actually had all the pieces in place on both sides of the ball to be a wrecking force, but all they needed was a QB.  

Because Goff's definitely not their answer, and he wasn't their answer to begin with.  

What's happened to him?! He actually used to be good and a genuine threat to the opposition

He's barely throwing past the down markers, he threw a 5 yard pass on a 4th and 20, McVay called a run on a 3rd and 17, he throws rookie-like picks now, he doesn't air it out (which he has the ability to do), he hasn't got the mental/physical strength to dive for a first down

In terms of intended air yards - his average is 4th lowest in the league. He's behind Mullens, Haskins, Dalton, Bridgewater, NEWTON!

He has completed 1 pass beyond 20 yards over the last 4 weeks.

McVay will have to draft a QB and see if that changes things for Jared, because he's shot right now

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What's happened to him?! He actually used to be good and a genuine threat to the opposition

He's barely throwing past the down markers, he threw a 5 yard pass on a 4th and 20, McVay called a run on a 3rd and 17, he throws rookie-like picks now, he doesn't air it out (which he has the ability to do), he hasn't got the mental/physical strength to dive for a first down

In terms of intended air yards - his average is 4th lowest in the league. He's behind Mullens, Haskins, Dalton, Bridgewater, NEWTON!

He has completed 1 pass beyond 20 yards over the last 4 weeks.

McVay will have to draft a QB and see if that changes things for Jared, because he's shot right now

The OL happened. Did you know Goff was pressured on 24 dropbacks? That’s the most he has ever even pressured in a game. Hell thats the 3rd most Seattle has had in a game since 2015. Can’t throw down field or make consistent  good decisions when pressured so quickly and so often. 

I’ll say it again, Goff didn’t just randomly start not being an excellent passer down the field and making smart decisions with the ball. Go look at 2017 and 2018 when the Rams had two pro bowl players on the OL and three vets on the OL. Go look at the Rams having at least one big time deep threat that out fear in opposing defenses. Goff wasn’t turning the ball much and have was having pro bowl seasons that warranted the contract he gotten.

Again people don’t want to hear this but when Brees got his big contract the Saints were pretty much a (7-9) team with no defense and a bad OL. I live in Louisiana and the area I’m from literally all I heard was the Saints gave Brees all this money and they want him to save them and losing all the great pieces around him. Brees was throwing the ball 650+ times with little to no run game because Bush wasn’t living up to him being drafted high and Ingram was at bust at that time. It wasn’t until the Saints traded for Graham for Unger, drafted Jordan, Ramczky, Lattimore, Armstead, Peat, Kamara and made some other nice additions from 2017 until now that the Saints are the team we see now. 

The Rams are going to have to do the same specifically with the OL and giving Goff just one deep threat over the top that defenses will fear. I trust the Rams to go all in this offseason on the OL because every other position on the team is rock solid. That’s the position group that’s holding the Rams back. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

The OL happened. Did you know Goff was pressured on 24 dropbacks? That’s the most he has ever even pressured in a game. Hell thats the 3rd most Seattle has had in a game since 2015. Can’t throw down field or make consistent  good decisions when pressured so quickly and so often. 

I’ll say it again, Goff didn’t just randomly start not being an excellent passer down the field and making smart decisions with the ball. Go look at 2017 and 2018 when the Rams had two pro bowl players on the OL and three vets on the OL. Go look at the Rams having at least one big time deep threat that out fear in opposing defenses. Goff wasn’t turning the ball much and have was having pro bowl seasons that warranted the contract he gotten.

Again people don’t want to hear this but when Brees got his big contract the Saints were pretty much a (7-9) team with no defense and a bad OL. I live in Louisiana and the area I’m from literally all I heard was the Saints gave Brees all this money and they want him to save them and losing all the great pieces around him. Brees was throwing the ball 650+ times with little to no run game because Bush wasn’t living up to him being drafted high and Ingram was at bust at that time. It wasn’t until the Saints traded for Graham for Unger, drafted Jordan, Ramczky, Lattimore, Armstead, Peat, Kamara and made some other nice additions from 2017 until now that the Saints are the team we see now. 

The Rams are going to have to do the same specifically with the OL and giving Goff just one deep threat over the top that defenses will fear. I trust the Rams to go all in this offseason on the OL because every other position on the team is rock solid. That’s the position group that’s holding the Rams back. 

We had a historically bad defense as in literally breaking records for being the worst in NFL history. That was literally it, just about any knowledgeable Saints would point that out. In those seasons (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), Brees was still averaging 5,051 yards passing, and 36 passing touchdowns per season. Our OL was fine, our run game was also solid with Marks Ingram putting up quality seasons at RB to go along with an elite pass attack. Goff on the other hand is not even comparable in terms of passing to what Brees did during our 7-9 seasons in 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2016...Even worse, Goff has an ELITE defense to work with, not a historically bad one backed factually by stats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

At some point you have to stop blaming everybody but the QB. And 2017 and 2018... that's a long time ago in the NFL. 
Oh, and Goff isn't making good decisions with the ball. He has the most turnovers in the league since beginning of 2019... 
Best defense in the league, good WR group, good TE group, OL not as bad as you make them appear (people were praising the Rams OL earlier in the season), genius offensive coach... 
But Goff isn't holding the team back? Why isn't it okay to admit that your QB simply is average at best?
And comparing Goff to Brees? What's the point? Nothing is remotely similar about those two QBs respective game and situation. 

Edited by MagicMT

2 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

At some point you have to stop blaming everybody but the QB. And 2017 and 2018... that's a long time ago in the NFL. 
Oh, and Goff isn't making good decisions with the ball. He has the most turnovers in the league since beginning of 2019... 
Best defense in the league, good WR group, good TE group, OL not as bad as you make them appear (people were praising the Rams OL earlier in the season), genius offensive coach... 
But Goff isn't holding the team back? Why isn't it okay to admit that your QB simply is average at best?

Because just like Wentz, they spent the last 3 years convincing themselves their QB is something hes not. Circle-jerk brainwashed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Blame it on the OL all you want, but I don't see any pressure here:

I watched the entire game, and Goff is just not good. They're doing everything they can to put him in advantageous positions to make plays, and his decision making and accuracy is just abysmal this year. There's a reason he's leading the league in turnovers since 2019, and it's not the OL.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 3

On 12/24/2020 at 12:49 AM, jrry32 said:

Read the conversation. It should be easy to figure out.

Nope, it's not. 
You're incredibly biased if you think Goff is a good QB because the team (emphasis on the word TEAM) is winning and the RBs are scoring a lot of TDs. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

Nope, it's not. 
You're incredibly biased if you think Goff is a good QB because the team (emphasis on the word TEAM) is winning and the RBs are scoring a lot of TDs. 

Its literally their go to. Anytime you ask them about Goff, all they have is that the team wins a lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Its literally their go to. Anytime you ask them about Goff, all they have is that the team wins a lot. 

And they're 18-13 the last two years with a real possibility that they're about to miss the playoffs for the 2nd straight year.

It's not like they're 25-6 or something crazy good recently (read: since Goff got paid) 

They have less wins than 9 other teams in the NFL since the start of 2019 lol 

Edited by Ray Reed

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Well now that's just not true at all. Anytime he has a decent game, or way way back in the before times, when he had that really good stretch, they would happily tell you all about the amazing passing statistics that Goff put up.

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

Well now that's just not true at all. Anytime he has a decent game, or way way back in the before times, when he had that really good stretch, they would happily tell you all about the amazing passing statistics that Goff put up.

You dont understand how many arguments I have gotten in with them. Wins are their default. They may sprinkle in other arguments, but they always bring up the team accomplishment.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, stl4life07 said:

Goff is 19th in Time To Throw with 2.76 seconds per attempt. This puts him above Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Tannehill, Kyler Murray, Drew Brees, Justin Herbert, Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers and plenty more who are out-performing him. It's not ideal, but again, it shows unless he has ideal situation - he's hurting you

So I have 2 questions. 1; knowing the above, are you happy with giving Jared this excuse? It's not ideal, but QBs can and do make it happen with worse situations. 2; what would it take for you to admit Goff is a problem?

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 2