Bears vs. Jags - GDT

CBears019

Bears fighting for a playoff spot, Jags fighting to hang onto Trevor Lawrence.  A loss for the Bears would crush their playoff hopes; a win for the Jags would destroy their hopes of drafting sunshine next April.  So naturally, the Jags will win...right?

You have no idea how much i want this to be the Mike Glennon/Nick Foles double revenge game. The absolute pinnacle of QB mastery.  Brady v. Manning?  Mahomes v. Watson?  No, child’s play.  This right here would be main event.

GlennonInsta.png

v.

Screenshot_2019-09-20-Ghostcast-on-Twitt

The NFL is missing out on a big prime time event opportunity right here.

anywho...enjoy your holidays.

go bears?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

A loss for the Bears would crush their playoff hopes; a win for the Jags would destroy their hopes of drafting sunshine next April.  So naturally, the Jags will win...right?

I don't think so. It's only natural for the Bears to win this game and then lose next week against the Packers to kill our playoff hopes. 

I think for a front office and a coaching staff there is far more riding on this than a potential playoff place...I expect to lose to the packers next week and not make the playoffs but for me it could all come down to this game as to Pace & Nagy keeping their jobs...win this game and lose to the packers and Nagy is 28-18 as a HC...for all the flaws and the failure to develop Trubisky in the way we would want that is still a really impressive record given what he came here with...if we finish 8-8...if we somehow finish 9-7...I find it extremely difficult to over look that considering some of the terrible records HCs have had in their first three seasons.

9 hours ago, CBears019 said:

You have no idea how much i want this to be the Mike Glennon/Nick Foles double revenge game. The absolute pinnacle of QB mastery.  Brady v. Manning?  Mahomes v. Watson?  No, child’s play.  This right here would be main event.

Damn straight.

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't think so. It's only natural for the Bears to win this game and then lose next week against the Packers to kill our playoff hopes. 

Yeah, but that was pretty funny though, you gotta admit. What you're saying is probably how it'll play out. There have been some rumblings of how the Pack may be in a position to sit guys, but I don't see that happening (pretty much no matter what), as that could potentially cost them a bye (right? I think?) and then set up a rematch with a divisional opponent in the first round. Which no team would want. On the other hand, I hope they start Love and he absolutely carves up the Bears D--show everybody what a ******* genius Pace is...

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think for a front office and a coaching staff there is far more riding on this than a potential playoff place...I expect to lose to the packers next week and not make the playoffs but for me it could all come down to this game as to Pace & Nagy keeping their jobs...win this game and lose to the packers and Nagy is 28-18 as a HC...for all the flaws and the failure to develop Trubisky in the way we would want that is still a really impressive record given what he came here with...if we finish 8-8...if we somehow finish 9-7...I find it extremely difficult to over look that considering some of the terrible records HCs have had in their first three seasons.

I'm looking at it all as the current rumors currently indicate. And that is that anything short of the playoffs and Nagy and Pace are shown the door. In reality, you can make an extremely convincing argument that both should be booted no matter what, as this team should be so much better than what it's shown. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Damn straight.

Yeah, but that was pretty funny though, you gotta admit. What you're saying is probably how it'll play out. There have been some rumblings of how the Pack may be in a position to sit guys, but I don't see that happening (pretty much no matter what), as that could potentially cost them a bye (right? I think?) and then set up a rematch with a divisional opponent in the first round. Which no team would want. On the other hand, I hope they start Love and he absolutely carves up the Bears D--show everybody what a ******* genius Pace is...

I'm looking at it all as the current rumors currently indicate. And that is that anything short of the playoffs and Nagy and Pace are shown the door. In reality, you can make an extremely convincing argument that both should be booted no matter what, as this team should be so much better than what it's shown. 

Should it though? This team has a lot of talented players but when you don't have a QB it is very difficult to win in the NFL and yet Nagy has won...no one can argue that...there is just as strong and convincing an argument to keep both here.

42 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Should it though? This team has a lot of talented players but when you don't have a QB it is very difficult to win in the NFL and yet Nagy has won...no one can argue that...there is just as strong and convincing an argument to keep both here.

No, there isn't.

Pace stuck by Trubisky when there was overwhelming evidence that this was either foolish, or misguided. I was one of the few people on this forum who thought that the Foles trade was a good one, and that there was a chance that Foles could end up as a decent starter. I'm still not certain I was wrong about that, but that's a whole other conversation to have, but I bring this up because, in my view, the Foles trade was still about the third (or fourth) best option Pace had to address the quarterback situation. And...that's not good. Quarterback is the most important position on a professional football team, and he screwed up because of ego. And if Pace returns, it's likely Mitch does too, and that's probably not the best solution to the quarterback dilemma, going forward. 

Pace also botched the last draft in a big way--I won't detail that as I've went on and on about it in the past.  When Cohen went down, he didn't do much of substance to replace him, merely brought Pierce up from the practice squad, only to see Nagy not play him. And there's plenty of other things we could go over, but the bottom line is that while Pace has done some very good things, on balance his stubbornness and poor overall planning has cost the team more than it has helped them. The Bears are now right up against the salary cap with a roster designed to win it all right now...which it's probably incapable of. The Bears could still make the playoffs, sure, but I don't think anyone around here believes they can do much if they get there. I was one of the most optimistic folks around here at the beginning of the season, even with the terrible draft--figuring the club could rack up double digit wins, maybe win a playoff game (or two). 

Nagy has done some things very well, and the late resurgence of the Bears has been impressive, and I've given Nagy props for that. On the other hand, he's also done some incredibly stupid things that pretty much everybody on the forum has criticized him for. Most notably, his use of personnel, and just when guys see the field. Oh, hey! This Bars guy looks like he can play pretty well! Who woulda thunk it? Well...actually everybody on the forum here. But Bars saw the field because of attrition, because, you know, we simply HAD to stick with uber-talented guys like Coward and Massie. Bars looked better at tackle than guard in the past, but we've still got to trot Leno out there every weekend, to do...whatever the hell it is that he does. Wander around, I guess. Fall down a lot. 

Also, the Bears offense only became functional after Nagy handed the play calling duties to someone else. Over three years in. What happens if Lazor decides to take a different job somewhere? Is Nagy going to replace him with someone who he can trust to call the plays, or will Nagy pick right back up where he left off? Inside zone runs with midget running backs? Constant, poorly designed motion plays that confuse and hamper his own offense as much as they do the opposing defense?

We're better off if they both go. 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

We are in the driver's seat for TLaw.

I want to stay in the driver's seat for TLaw.

Well, if the Bears lose it won't be for lack of trying. Apparently, anyway. Two games left, I'd imagine you stay in that driver's seat. But weirder things have happened. 

What do you think it would take to get Minshew, in a trade? 

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, if the Bears lose it won't be for lack of trying. Apparently, anyway. Two games left, I'd imagine you stay in that driver's seat. But weirder things have happened. 

What do you think it would take to get Minshew, in a trade? 

I'd probably say a 4th or 5th at this point.

I think he's an ideal backup but the kid still wants to compete/have a chance to start. Not sure he'd be a great backup for a rookie like TLaw, Fields, or Wilson so he may very well be available this off-season.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'd probably say a 4th or 5th at this point.

I think he's an ideal backup but the kid still wants to compete/have a chance to start. Not sure he'd be a great backup for a rookie like TLaw, Fields, or Wilson so he may very well be available this off-season.

So, you're convinced he'll never be able to be a starter? (I'm sort of in the dark, as I think I've only seen him play once this season...)

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

So, you're convinced he'll never be able to be a starter? (I'm sort of in the dark, as I think I've only seen him play once this season...)

I don't see it, no. After last year I had some optimism but this year has kind of zapped it. The arm just isn't strong enough to make a lot of the throws you need to make, he bails on clean pockets too often to make something happen, etc. 

• Like 1