Jaguars clinch first overall selection in 2021 Draft

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The idea of a fully functioning adult with money and options to go anywhere willingly listening to a word that comes out of Dabo Sweeney's snake mouth baffles me.

Him, Urban, and Saban can go ahead and cue up draft picks and rings for those kids, so it doesn’t matter when every 5 star thinks he’s the next Lawrence/Watson/Bosa/Henry/etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The idea of a fully functioning adult with money and options to go anywhere willingly listening to a word that comes out of Dabo Sweeney's snake mouth baffles me.

I remember reading a story a long while back - Dave Wandsteadt (a very college-like coach, in fact I think he's in CFB) was the HC for the Dolphins. He decided it was a good idea to rail off on 6' 6" 295lb DE/DT Daryl Gardner. Something about technique or something, but he went off on Gardner for it.

Gardner's response was something along the lines of "B****, f*** you, you ain't nobody to tell me what the f*** to do you little person..." and stood over Wandsteadt in what can only be interpreted as a show of dominance. 

Now - Gardner was a crazy person, so he'd probably say something similar to anyone, up to and including a judge sentencing him for one of his domestic disputes. But, it sort of illustrates what sort of influence a HC has over a player - which is very little if said player doesn't buy into the cut of your jib.

Dabo... Yeah, nobody who makes millions is going to buy into that nonsense.

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I remember reading a story a long while back - Dave Wandsteadt (a very college-like coach, in fact I think he's in CFB) was the HC for the Dolphins. He decided it was a good idea to rail off on 6' 6" 295lb DE/DT Daryl Gardner. Something about technique or something, but he went off on Gardner for it.

Gardner's response was something along the lines of "B****, f*** you, you ain't nobody to tell me what the f*** to do you little person..." and stood over Wandsteadt in what can only be interpreted as a show of dominance. 

Now - Gardner was a crazy person, so he'd probably say something similar to anyone, up to and including a judge sentencing him for one of his domestic disputes. But, it sort of illustrates what sort of influence a HC has over a player - which is very little if said player doesn't buy into the cut of your jib.

Yeah there's a complete 180 in the power dynamic between that and in the NCAAs where you will have coaches who will flat out say "You signed the scholarship, I ******* own you".

The Dabo, Urban, Saban types who love micromanaging every aspect of things will thrive. You get them in a situation where they have to lead by influence instead of commanding, and their ego won't be able to take it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I think the Jags should probably go OL with their next 2 picks, like the Dolphins' approach.

LT if they let Cam go, and MAYBE RG are the only two spots that should be looked to replace.

I agree they should draft some guys for depth/to develop, but our OL is fairly ok as is. If anything the biggest weakness has been Jawaan Taylor who you hope a change in OL coach gets that fixed because the talent is there.

12 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I think the Jags should probably go OL with their next 2 picks, like the Dolphins' approach.

The single biggest variable that influences how good an OL will be early in their careers is age. Drafting a QB first, then the OL just means you've burned draft picks on guys who are going to just start to get good when your franchise QB is on his death bed. Ask Andrew Luck.

If you don't have the foundation of the OL built when you get the #1 overall pick, you already screwed up.

6 hours ago, Malfatron said:

so weird picturing you as a jags fan now

Haha.  It is for me too, but it feels right so far.  The Vikings could go on and win the Super Bowl next year and then I'd look like the idiot, but it wouldn't matter.  If that happens, I'll just be really happy for the rest of the Minnesota fans.  Eventually, they will get there.  I'm just driving down a different road from here on out and hopefully that road will lead to satisfaction too. 

45 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

LT if they let Cam go, and MAYBE RG are the only two spots that should be looked to replace.

I agree they should draft some guys for depth/to develop, but our OL is fairly ok as is. If anything the biggest weakness has been Jawaan Taylor who you hope a change in OL coach gets that fixed because the talent is there.

Having a usable OL is a huge piece of the puzzle.  It's surprising how many teams around the league, even good ones, are lacking in that area. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If you don't have the foundation of the OL built when you get the #1 overall pick, you already screwed up.

OL play can always get better, but our OL is decent. We’re not going to let him get brutalized like Luck and Burrow, but could still use an upgrade at LT or RG. There’s some decent veteran options as well, so its not completely necessary that they bring in a rookie that needs a couple years to get it figured out.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Why? Those franchises are entirely forgettable.

I'd rather see Lawrence be good because bad football is worse than good football, but Jacksonville (and let's be real, the entire AFC South) is more or less the NFL's afterthought.

In the same way that power shifts between the NFC and the AFC, it can just as easily happen in divisions.  Over time, change is inevitable - especially when you consider the parity the league has fostered with the salary cap, draft structure, etc..  The day will eventually come when the AFC South is the powerhouse of the entire league. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This is why I'm really hoping the Jags don't go with Urban Meyer or someone similar.  I'd love to see them get Eric Bienemy as HC. 

4 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

In the same way that power shifts between the NFC and the AFC, it can just as easily happen in divisions.  Over time, change is inevitable - especially when you consider the parity the league has fostered with the salary cap, draft structure, etc..  The day will eventually come when the AFC South is the powerhouse of the entire league. 

Not paying much mind to that. If the Jaguars get Lawrence and he hits a division with him, Watson, and Tannehill is going to get plenty of run. Hell, it would even if we were continuing down the path of ineptitude if Houston actually built right around Watson with Tennessee as a legit contender as well.

The division since the Peyton era (and even in that era really) outside of the Colts has been bad or have had little to no playoff success. Pretty obvious why there hasn't been much coverage.

• Like 1

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

This is why I'm really hoping the Jags don't go with Urban Meyer or someone similar.  I'd love to see them get Eric Bienemy as HC. 

Talk is that the Jags are looking at someone with previous HC experience...

So... Bill O'Brien it is. 

• Like 1