What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

22 hours ago, ET80 said:

This was what the media in Houston reported today - the speculation is that the following would be required:

1.9, 2021

1st 2022

1st 2023

TE Noah Fant

OLB Bradley Chubb

QB Drew Lock

This way, the Texans could fortify a defense with 1.9 (plus picks gained from trading JJ Watt and Laremy Tunsil) and let Lock get one last audition as a starting QB. If Lock couldn't get it done, you have foundational pieces on defense and a high pick (perhaps 1.1) in 2022 from the Texans own record to pick up Sam Howell or Spencer Rattler. Picks from there on out could be used to build up the offense for the rookie (Tunsil replacement, eventual replacement for Brandin Cooks, etc).

I don't like the trade because WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE WANT TO TRADE DESHAUN WATSON but I have to admit - this wouldn't be the worst way to rebuild from the ground up. 

So in a sense, they would want five #1 draft picks and a 2nd.  Since Fant and Chubb were number 1s and Lock was a #2. 

I'd give all that up accept for Chubb for Watson.  

22 hours ago, ET80 said:

This was what the media in Houston reported today - the speculation is that the following would be required:

1.9, 2021

1st 2022

1st 2023

TE Noah Fant

OLB Bradley Chubb

QB Drew Lock

I’d do it. Decent chance Chubb isn’t a Bronco in two years, unlikely Lock is a top 15 QB, one of those R1 picks is going towards a QB anyways, and those other two firsts would be in the 20s - and I get to keep my 2nd round picks?  Done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Hear the Jets are looking for a late first for Darnold I'm shocked San Francisco and Indy aren't all over that.

39 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Those teams have good decision-makers in Ballard* and Kyle/John, that’s why they aren’t all over that. 

IND & SF are already established contenders looking to win now.   Darnold is about ceiling and projection - what you hope he will become, not who he is now (thx Gase lol).    His appeal lies in his growth and development.  But it comes with the risk of growing pains in a new system.

For an org that isn’t quite at legitimate contender level like us (or even New England or Chicago), the risk of growing pains is ok because we’re not that close to serious contention yet.    His ceiling makes the risk ok (along with his skills that can play the short & deep & mobile QB game plan).   But there’s a really low floor.   For teams like SF and Indy who believe they are only a QB upgrade away - growing pains and low floors aren’t ok.   Pit is looking at him more as a successor to Big Ben not the week 1 starter.   Before you ask on Wentz & Indy - Wentz familiarity with Reich O are why Reich is interested.  

Gus like Carr & JimmyG (and Stafford) fit Indy’s requirements because they have a safe floor.   SF is looking to add verticality and deeper game proficiency so they looked at Stafford and then Cousins.  But they all came with an established and higher floor.    They could end up with Darnold but safe to say it’s not plan A, B or C.  

Teams that need a big leap but limited resources (Chi), are ok with their window opening up a year later (NE, us) or can groom him a year (Pit) are the most commonly cited for those reasons.  Assuming they don’t make other plans & NYJ decides to deal him (what a crazy year for wide outcomes). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I’d do it. Decent chance Chubb isn’t a Bronco in two years, unlikely Lock is a top 15 QB, one of those R1 picks is going towards a QB anyways, and those other two firsts would be in the 20s - and I get to keep my 2nd round picks?  Done.

Who is going to rush the passer? Do you figure that out in FA?

Look it seems like a lot, but if we can nail down the QB spot for the next 15 years after six years of what we've had...I'm in too.

And of all the young QBs out there who can spar with Mahomes? Prolly Watson...okay I'm in. 

Can someone call Paton to let him know?

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

IND & SF are already established contenders looking to win now.   Darnold is about ceiling and projection - what you hope he will become, not who he is now (thx Gase lol).    His appeal lies in his growth and development.  But it comes with the risk of growing pains in a new system.

For an org that isn’t quite at legitimate contender level like us (or even New England or Chicago), the risk of growing pains is ok because we’re not that close to serious contention yet.    His ceiling makes the risk ok (along with his skills that can play the short & deep & mobile QB game plan).   But there’s a really low floor.   For teams like SF and Indy who believe they are only a QB upgrade away - growing pains and low floors aren’t ok.   Pit is looking at him more as a successor to Big Ben not the week 1 starter.   Before you ask on Wentz & Indy - Wentz familiarity with Reich O are why Reich is interested.  

Gus like Carr & JimmyG (and Stafford) fit Indy’s requirements because they have a safe floor.   SF is looking to add verticality and deeper game proficiency so they looked at Stafford and then Cousins.  But they all came with an established and higher floor.    They could end up with Darnold but safe to say it’s not plan A, B or C.  

Teams that need a big leap but limited resources (Chi), are ok with their window opening up a year later (NE, us) or can groom him a year (Pit) are the most commonly cited for those reasons.  Assuming they don’t make other plans & NYJ decides to deal him (what a crazy year for wide outcomes). 

You’re 100% correct. 

I had Darnold as my #1 prospect the year he came out, even with the USC stink, and he is a fit for some places. But I also don’t think his potential for development outpaces Lock’s by much, if any, as Lock has the superior arm strength and mobility. Both appear to have the will/desire/work ethic but, like I said before, right now, going from Lock to Darnold is like moving from Nebraska to Kansas. 

4 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Who is going to rush the passer? Do you figure that out in FA?

Look it seems like a lot, but if we can nail down the QB spot for the next 15 years after six years of what we've had...I'm in too.

And of all the young QBs out there who can spar with Mahomes? Prolly Watson...okay I'm in. 

Can someone call Paton to let him know?

Elite pass rushers are like elite QBs and LTs, you don’t often find diamonds in the rough in mid to late rounds. Yes there are exceptions like Shaq Barrett and Tom Brady but those are the exceptions not the rule. 

We trade Chubb, Von retires, we have no defense and no picks to fill critical positions and all of sudden we have Star Wars numbers and a 7-9 record. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You’re 100% correct. 

I had Darnold as my #1 prospect the year he came out, even with the USC stink, and he is a fit for some places. But I also don’t think his potential for development outpaces Lock’s by much, if any, as Lock has the superior arm strength and mobility. Both appear to have the will/desire/work ethic but, like I said before, right now, going from Lock to Darnold is like moving from Nebraska to Kansas. 

I think Darnold has a much higher ceiling.   Same floor (bust) but the ceiling is still top 6-8 type QB.     Gase is a blight on player development so the Q just is how messed up is he. 

But that difference is why I’d pay 3.7 to find out.  The similar floor is why I wouldn’t pay 2.9 or a late 1st lol. 

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Washington seems like an ok fit as well I don't consider serious contenders yet.

I just think in Indy with that oline and run game Darnold may fit because if he hits that ceiling he may come at a discount next contract due to him realizing how good he has it.

Reich also made Wentz play at an MVP level his second year in the league. I think Darnold year 4 would be fine .

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Elite pass rushers are like elite QBs and LTs, you don’t often find diamonds in the rough in mid to late rounds. Yes there are exceptions like Shaq Barrett and Tom Brady but those are the exceptions not the rule. 

We trade Chubb, Von retires, we have no defense and no picks to fill critical positions and all of sudden we have Star Wars numbers and a 7-9 record. 

Chubb isn’t an elite pass rusher though.   He’s a high motor guy and he’s good (not great as advertised) at run support.  The metrics show he’s ok at pass rush but not close to a dominant guy.  The majority of his sacks are effort / pressure flushing QB his way.   He’s not bad but he’s not anywhere close to elite.    As a rookie contract guy though that’s more than ok.  

But once he’s getting 15M a year his value disappears.   That’s a huge reason why I’d be ok with the deal.   I’d be more ok with him in the deal than Dremont Jones.   

There’s no doubt we would be unlikely to bring a complete team until 2023-24 if we aren’t picking R1.  But getting an elite QB at below market salary actually makes it easier.   And Chubb isn’t the long term answer as the Mack level talent on D.  You get Watson he’s locked for 6 years.  And likely 10+On an extension.  At age 25 Watson is still at his peak at age 28-34 well after those picks being given up impacts us directly.     

Edited by Broncofan

I wouldn’t ever bet on Darnold becoming a QB to build around. But I also look at what Baker has done in Cleveland, what Tannehill has done in Tennessee, what Goff did for a while in LA, and I don’t see why young struggling guys like Darnold or Daniel Jones couldn’t have success in similar situations. The Shanahan offenses in particular almost never ask QBs to think, just to physically make the plays. I think it’s possible Darnold could be coached into success there. But I don’t think it makes him a particularly valuable asset either. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1