What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 minute ago, bMiller031 said:

Why does he need more pushing? He’s one meh season away from holding a clipboard indefinitely

If a guy needs extra motivation after the last 2 seasons he’s a lost cause.  I don’t think competition can be brought in to motivate him - it’s to give the team real insurance.  Which they should absolutely do at the very least.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Lock hasn't had any competition since he drafted - 

2019 - Bradley Allen

2020 - Jeff Driskel 

He now needs someone biting at his rear-end to get him to grow up a bit and start playing as an NFL calibre QB (if he is capable). Bringing in Dalton would do that. 

Now - having Dalton on the roster could push the Broncos down the draft order - but that can't be a consideration - I am against tanking. But having Dalton on the roster could also push Lock to proving he can do the job - in which case we can spend draft capital on other pieces. If Lock is a bust then Paton has to figure out another way of finding a QB.

Darnold only if he is cheap.  I don't see it as tanking.  I see it as leaving the QB situation as is with Lock.  No point in bringing an expensive QB if they are not going to take us to the SB.  Bringing in a FA QB just to get a few more wins is pointless to me.   Both Lock and Darnold are not going to be that QB for us.  We need to take the QB position seriously and quit trying to bring in everyone's leftovers.

I like Darnold.  I am all for going after him depending on price.  Darnold would win a QB competition with Lock in a landslide.  Lock’s literally out there playing backyard football and doesn’t have the talent for it. 

Lock doesn’t understand the position or process it quickly enough.  Darnold understands the game and anticipatory throws.  Is Darnold a future HOFer? Probably not, but behind this OL and with Denver’s weapons he’d easily be the best QB this franchise has had since Manning. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

I’m genuinely curious what the FO thinks a Dalton/Foles/Fitz signing accomplishes. If Drew works out, great -wasted $ that could’ve gone elsewhere. If Drew doesn’t work out, they’re just ensuring we don’t bottom out into 2022 QB draft territory? They just provide a higher floor for the Drew Lock 2022 experiment - which isn’t even necessarily a good thing. We need Drew to either a) be the guy or b) flame out egregiously so we’re not picking in the middle of the first next year. A 6-8 win season is worst case scenario unless Drew goes up two levels.

To me, it just adds an adult to the QB room, something we're lacking. A mentor more than competition. I'd be all for it, even if we get rid of Lock and draft a Rd 1 QB. I think having a veteran QB on the roster is highly under rated.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

If Fields did drop or Lance was there it would really tell us whether Paton has full say on the roster or Elway is still meddling around trying to find his clone.

Paton comes from a regime that favoured cerebral QBs. Since 2014 alone they drafted Teddy Bridgewater in round 1, traded a first round pick to get Sam Bradford and threw the (then) biggest contract of all time at Kirk Cousins in free agency. None of those are big arm toolsy QBs like Elway normally values.

I am inclined to agree with your post. 

45 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Paton comes from a regime that favoured cerebral QBs. Since 2014 alone they drafted Teddy Bridgewater in round 1, traded a first round pick to get Sam Bradford and threw the (then) biggest contract of all time at Kirk Cousins in free agency. None of those are big arm toolsy QBs like Elway normally values.

I am inclined to agree with your post. 

The only example that doesn’t factor in the analysis is Bradford.   He was acquired because he was the only starter level QB available when Teddy B went down (and Jeff Locke their backup) before week 1.   There wasn’t a choice for a team that thought it could contend that year with even league average play.   

The other choices do point to a skill set / type that don’t fit Elway’s pattern.    Darnold would.   I don’t have a problem if it costs a 3rd or less (as the Gase effect in making NFL caliber skill position players look bad under him but shine elsewhere - Tannehill, Drake, Parker, Robbie Anderson, Gesicki all broke out post-Gase whereas he put them all into his doghouse - it’s worth a Rd3 shot).  But the choice will speak a lot to Paton’s autonomy especially if it’s a rookie Rd1 QB, given Klis had dismissed that possibility pretty much all year and Renck had indicated it was highly unlikely.    

A vet choice doesn’t mean Paton doesn’t have full power - but a rookie Rd1 choice would certainly signal his era as GM is in full swing.    One final comment - not sure the top 4 QB make it to 1.9.   Going to be a really interesting QB carousel right up to Draft Day 1. 

Edited by Broncofan

I have an odd feeling that Aaron Rogers will get dealt. I think that FG pushed him over the edge, and in conjunction with the Pack refusing to 'sell out' for a champ window and the drafting of Love, I just feel that he becomes available at some point. 

And if that is the case, we have to go get him.

10 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I have an odd feeling that Aaron Rogers will get dealt. I think that FG pushed him over the edge, and in conjunction with the Pack refusing to 'sell out' for a champ window and the drafting of Love, I just feel that he becomes available at some point. 

Right...because our coaching staff is more competent than Green Bay's.  Fangio might have made the same FG call.  If we had Mike Shanahan, or Kubiak at the helm, I'd be all over this...but, Rogers would be just as frustrated in Denver. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Both ARod & FO have already said he's staying the day after ARod made the "future is uncertain, even with me" statement.   It's hard not to see him staying - they canned DC Pettine, and Lafleur already came out and gave his mea culpas.  

The biggest reason for A-Rod's statement - A-Rod's contract had no guaranteed money tied into 2022 & 23, only dead money (that he doesn't see).   Very clear he wanted the $ to be guaranteed, and likely a performance bonus for likely getting the MVP this year.     

The latest reports are that the Pack FO are guaranteeing the 2022-23 money, and adding 2 more years at 30M per.  Obviously until it happens, there will be Q's, but all the tea leaves point to ARod staying (and Jordan Love being Tommy Maddox V2).

It's not debatable on the talent level - but it's so unlikely now.   As a reference - Vegas put up a 2022 A-Rod team prop - it opened at -550 GB 4 days ago (for those unfamiliar - you need to bet 550 bucks to get 100 in winnings) - and then once the above reports came out, they've taken the prop down completely.    

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, paul-mac said:

There is zero chance he falls to 9 but if he did we should take him. Trey Lance is the guy we have a realistic chance to get at 9. 

Lot of Mocks reckoning he won't get past Carolina just above us. Have him sit and learn around Bridgewater for a year or two. 

I would pick him if he was still there at 9, as I think he will be a franchise QB. If we got him I'd plan to have him as the backup and only promote him to starter if and when Drew does show he isn't it.

Out of curiosity following all the Darnold talk, I googled Josh Rosen to see what happened to him Turns out he's on the 49ers after being on the Bucs practice squad.

Was thinking maybe bring him in on the cheap but it appears the league's decided he pretty much a bust and is not starting caliber after his year in Arizona.