Mortal Kombat - April 23rd

RamRod

On 4/26/2021 at 9:02 AM, Shockwave said:

I mean that sounds awesome and all. But... feasibly I don't think MK has the clout or following to pull that off like Marvel does. Considering even DC couldn't match it. Is there even enough lore to pull off multiple 2 hour movies dedicated to one or two characters? Probably could have worked more as an episodic piece with each episode dedicated to specific characters and then it all culminating at the end with the Tournament.

No that would never work, at least not at that scale.  They could maybe do a series where they all get an episode of backstory, but the individual characters couldn't carry a Marvel style theatrical origin story release.  I actually think the Avengers style teamup angle was a weakness of the film.   Stay away from that recipe.  

Just watched it.

Its okay.  

Feel like this wouldve worked better as a TV show on HBO rather than movies.

I didnt mind the fights.   Much better than the original.

I agree that Cole was a waste.   So many MK characters and you have to create an original one?    His lineage to Scorpion didnt really even matter.     Couldve set up a good backstory to an existing MK character, but we get a generic guy with lame powers.

The original MK had better actors.  Cary Tagawa was the perfect Shang Tsung in MK 95....the new actor isnt close.  Christopher Lambert's Raiden was cheesy, but he worked.   This Raiden just feels off.    Sonya wasnt great in either movie, but I liked the new girl more.  

Scorpion, Sub Zero and Kano were awesome.    Goro looked decent for being all CG.    Ludi Lin was not bad as Liu Kang, but I liked the original actor too.   The other characters didnt even really matter.

I feel like the story had decent ideas that were executed poorly.   I liked the ideas of the markings and discovering their inner powers.    Jax is lucky his special power just so happened to be growing steel arms to replace his old ones (so cringe).    Coles power was so stupid.    

Overall, Id give put it about on par with MK '95.    Both had faults, and each did certain things better.   

I would like to see a sequel, so Id call it a success....even if it was somewhat underwhelming.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Maybe entertainment would be better if we didn't run everything like a market transaction. 

define better. Entertainment is always going to have one goal, reach a broad audience. That is how you make money and if you aren't out to make money then you can't make, well, anything... because there is no money. We get the indy stuff and the produced by so and so's that are more art than popcorn flick but those are a byproduct of the success of those flicks that reach the masses. Ish is going to flop, it always does. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Entertainment is always going to have one goal, reach a broad audience

I don't think this is true. We've seen the watering down of movies to reach more broad audiences starting in the 1980s, but it hasn't always been the case. It's the monopolization of the movie business that is making it worse, IMO at least.  

16 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

They only set it up at the end, not seeing the criticism. Not like they’re making single characters movie to set up a universe 

If you think it'll stop after the 2nd one, you're mistaken. If the second is remotely successful there will be 4. 

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If you think it'll stop after the 2nd one, you're mistaken. If the second is remotely successful there will be 4. 

Of course there will be sequels, plenty of story in the MK lore but to complain about setting up universe as if there would only ever be one movie?

Just now, Fresh Prince said:

Of course there will be sequels, plenty of story in the MK lore but to complain about setting up universe as if there would only ever be one movie?

There was only 1 in the 90s and it is widely regarded as the best. Granted, that's not hard. And I enjoyed the new one. I just wish everyone wasn't out to make these massive universes that require everyone spend tons of money to go see a movie that is 90% filler. 

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

There was only 1 in the 90s and it is widely regarded as the best. Granted, that's not hard. And I enjoyed the new one. I just wish everyone wasn't out to make these massive universes that require everyone spend tons of money to go see a movie that is 90% filler. 

I only acknowledge one Mortal Kombat in the 90s too

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RamRod said:

I only acknowledge one Mortal Kombat in the 90s too

The only reason I said that was because I didn't think there was any continuity in the Mortal Kombat that shall not be named. I did watch that one in theaters, though. I was only 7 and thought it was pretty awesome. Dragon fight? Sign 7 year old MOSteelers56 up. 

• Like 1