2021 NFL GM Candidates

tannenballs

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think there's stuff you can extrapolate against. Is it rock hard science? Probably not, but it gives folks a good lead on what's next with each of these teams based on who they hire.

Dimes to dollars, whoever tabs Rick Smith is going to become very familiar with Big 10 players - he has an affinity for scouting and drafting there. 

I wouldn't hate it if the Falcons brought in Smith and were Big 10/ACC/SEC heavy (tough to escape SEC and ACC when you are in GA). scout the best three conferences. Also, Big 10 has a penchant for good OL and DL.

16 minutes ago, tannenballs said:

Just curious why you're so sour on him. I actually think he will be really good. Yes BB has final say on picks and free agents but Caserio basically does all the other non scouting functions of the GM Job. Runs the scouting department, and does all the other stuff under football ops that a GM has to do. 

He was the WR Coach when Tom Brady threw 50 TD in 07 (I know, he had Moss and Welker), and also coached 3 years in college. He's been an area scout and then became director of pro personnel. He's been their DPP since 2008. I've also noticed, he works the phones for all the draft day trades. 

I think Caserio has about as perfect of a resume as you could want in a GM, like the GM version of Brian Flores. And this is coming from a Dolphins fan (Caserio interviewed in 2014 and then pulled his name). 

I don't want anything to do with the Patriots. BB and Brady made them. Nothing else will matter from that organization. I would like to see someone who cut their teeth on their own, not a HOF QB and HC. That's why I am not 100% sold on EB either. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

@wackywabbit, @AFlaccoSeagulls, @ThatJaxxenGuy - any insight you have on this fella?

Haven’t heard his name but we are a team who plays the analytics trends really quite nicely so I imagine “football research” has a big hand in that... not married to the analytics but our staff definitely seem aware of what those new numbers say in a lot of different situations including the draft and management (Decista famously shared a stone cold 80/20 rule where if you can get 80 percent of performance for 20 percent of the price of another guy you bite on the cheaper player). So if that’s the type of research we’re looking at I’d be optimistic.

Honestly our front office has always been overwhelmingly competent regardless of the occasional blunder so if nothing else he’s probably worked closely with Ozzie, Decosta, and Harbaugh who have been around the league forever. I’m guessing he would be a quietly solid hire that pays off in a lot of understated ways

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

What?

Bad teams stay bad, I guess? At least they will have Lawrence...but I'll be honest, meddling ownership (and that's far beyond meddling) would be a hard negative for me in that kind of job opportunity 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

honestly i've never heard of him lol

Yea, maybe I saw the name in an article or two, but he's definitely not a visible figure. I'm happy with what the front office is doing though and have no insight into associating blame/glory for specific decisions they make, so I'd obviously prefer to retain who is there now