Wild Card Round GDT: Ravens vs. Titans

SalvadorsDeli

To those of you that stopped by our forum this week, thanks for the good point of views and civil discussions. 

I'm hoping for a good game and neither team embarrasses the other fan base. Hoping for a classic battle that we all can walk away proud and thankful to have seen. 

With that said, I hope we rip the hearts out of the Ravens and stomp on them. 🙂

Good luck! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

We will be using our young backs and DD and returner it seems.

Duvernay, the returner, I expect to be a potential X-factor.

——

Rex’s breakdown of what the Titans will likely do to stop our counter bash plays, which aren’t read plays... scares me though. Since the counter bash isn’t designed for Lamar to read the defense and hand it off to Dobbins, but is rather Roman reading the defense and just determining the play will work, reading Brown’s stance/tell will definitely give the Titans a head start in moving towards Lamar.

Hopefully the Ravens are smart enough to have saved some wrinkles off of that concept for the playoffs where we have a counter-bash PA pass option that seeks to isolate the WR in 1v1 over the middle of the field on a deep post, using Lamar’s “run” as sort of a rollout component that allows the WR to get deep for the big play after the safeties move up.

Something like that would keep the Titans players guessing the remainder of the game and force them to have to space the difference or be over-aggressive in attacking the counter bash principles upfront.

——

But I’m going to be honest, I don’t expect Roman to have done that. Roman builds so many plays within his scheme that lack a way to punish a defense off of it’s over-aggressiveness. Now I know the read-option naturally does that itself, but we literally went half the season with having a FB and a blocking TE in there while defenses just used the dropping LBs to spy Lamar and manage the short pass to Ricard/Boyle... because those guys didn’t have the speed to challenge them in the open field.

So the idea that we’ve somehow built two way natures to the counter bash principle, which hasn’t had any versatile showings to this point, isn’t something I have confidence in.

——
I mean, maybe it won’t matter because our player execution will just be too great and we can just spam the counter bash to success. I’ve made my position on Roman clear. He’s still in my doghouse until he proves his playoff game plans aren’t just regular season game plans. That he can elevate the level of his anticipation of what opposing coaches will look to do to stop us and have built in measures to adjust to when those situations arise. We have too much talent on the offense overall to not field a competent unit.

Whether its scheming up the passing game for much success, running from unique formations, run/pass options that can damage a defense in whichever way the defense allows, etc. I’ve seen enough from Wink Martindale that I can rely on him to put together a capable game plan in the playoffs that can disrupt some of what the opposing offense wants to do. My level of confidence in Roman isn’t nearly at the same level.

——

Lamar also needs to play well here. A bad performance here and there will be little defense that can be provided. Regardless of how incapable (or capable) Roman looks in this game, Lamar will need to find a way to elevate our talent or put the offense on his back and make plays. My nervousness is now at an all-time high, but hopefully Roman proves me VERY wrong and hopefully Lamar Heisman Arms the haters. Then we can end the season standing on their logo.... 😎