Vikings OC Gary Kubiak to retire

Forge

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Wouldn't you guys just promote Rick Dennison given he runs the same offense if that's the plan?

I think they’d promote Klint Kubiak over Dennison. But my guess is they look outside at Lynn from the Chargers, he runs much of the same system. Has HC experience, which Zimmer has valued for the offensive side of the ball.

Zimmer’s OCs actually have a pretty good success rate in terms of landing HC gigs.

DeFilippo was a total failure. Seemed he was more interested in a HC gig and was miserable at molding the team to fit Zimmer’s preference of running, didn’t have Cook that year if I recall. Turner and Kubiak we’re both older, seasoned coordinators not looking for HC gigs and both seem to be getting out for similar reasons. Both are somewhat stuck in the 90s. 

Vikes probably should have just kept Stefanski as HC to be honest, though his offense wasn’t as good as Kubiaks.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I think they’d promote Klint Kubiak over Dennison. But my guess is they look outside at Lynn from the Chargers, he runs much of the same system. Has HC experience, which Zimmer has valued for the offensive side of the ball.

Zimmer’s OCs actually have a pretty good success rate in terms of landing HC gigs.

DeFilippo was a total failure. Seemed he was more interested in a HC gig and was miserable at molding the team to fit Zimmer’s preference of running, didn’t have Cook that year if I recall. Turner and Kubiak we’re both older, seasoned coordinators not looking for HC gigs and both seem to be getting out for similar reasons. Both are somewhat stuck in the 90s. 

Vikes probably should have just kept Stefanski as HC to be honest, though his offense wasn’t as good as Kubiaks.

I concur with the Lynn as OC hire for the Vikings. I think they have the personnel to fit his style of offense, which is running the ball effectively.

Just now, TENINCH said:

I like Lynn but it would likely just be a 1 year rental. 

If Lynn is smart, he'll stay there for at least two years just to build momentum again. It's the ideal situation for him if not necessarily the best for him as a future HC simply because Zimmer is also dinosaur in his offensive approach.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Xenos said:

If Lynn is smart, he'll stay there for at least two years just to build momentum again. It's the ideal situation for him if not necessarily the best for him as a future HC simply because Zimmer is also dinosaur in his offensive approach.

Zimmer doesn't really have much say in the offense I think.

On 1/4/2021 at 9:10 PM, thebestever6 said:

I always thought he was over hyped I valued him as a head coach seemed to be a stabilizing presence while also being very patient.

His offense seems to be archiach compared to Shanny, Mcvay , and Kevin S in cleveland.

Did Kevin S change his offense quite a bit when he went to Cleveland? Kubiak helped build it in Minnesota

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Doesn’t use tight ends or a FB as much as he did in Minny.

Despite having a top 3 FB in the NFL on his roster!!!!!!! 

I'm not angry. Stefanski just really needs to use the FB more considering we have a really good one.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 1/4/2021 at 6:22 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Like Schefter said, I think there are a lot of older guys in front offices and coaching that are calling it quits this year after Covid. They dont want to deal with the time investment, travel, exposure, ect anymore at their ages.

Or maybe they are just burnt out after this year...like the rest of us. 

5 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Sort of.   He is old school coach that believes in defense and run game.  He fired OC for lightly using run game few years ago if I remember correctly.

Difference in philosophy, yes, but Zimmer doesn't have a direct say in the offense (calling the plays, scripting the opening plays of the game etc.)