Super WC Weekend Thread: WFT vs. Tampa Bay

MikeT14

Just now, DannyB said:

Seemed like TB receivers were finding some reeeeal soft spots in that secondary too, for much of the night

Yup. Bad play by LBs and no one was disrupting routes. They'd get singled on a LB and find a nice spot and easy catch. Tom was pressured a decent amount but was able to get the ball out quickly. When the DBs and LBs did their jobs, TB offense faltered.

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I have some major issues with a DVOA stat that has Washington's pass defense better than the Rams'.

Ok thanks jrry. Fwiw the Rams are #1 in weighted DVOA, which more heavily weighs recent games. FO only has weighted overall DVOA listed and not weighted pass DVOA, but my guess is LAR is probably better than WAS in weighted pass D DVOA also

Edited by childofpudding

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

Seemed like TB receivers were finding some reeeeal soft spots in that secondary too, for much of the night

Steelers had great Ds in the past decade and Tom almost never had a problem picking their zone scheme apart. You gotta go men plus get pressure without blitzing against Tom but going men led to some big passes tonight. Can't go men against Evans, Godwin and Brown for too long.

3 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Steelers had great Ds in the past decade and Tom almost never had a problem picking their zone scheme apart. You gotta go men plus get pressure without blitzing against Tom but going men led to some big passes tonight. Can't go men against Evans, Godwin and Brown for too long.

That's also because the Steelers literally NEVER altered their game plan based on opponent, in the slightest. They did what they did and continually trotted it out there every single freaking year. And Bill and Tom absolutely devoured it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Ok thanks jrry. Fwiw the Rams are #1 in weighted DVOA, which more heavily weighs recent games. FO only has weighted overall DVOA listed and not weighted pass DVOA, but my guess is LAR is probably better than WAS in weighted pass D DVOA

Yeah, I think Incognito said that in another thread. I'm just saying that the eye test and the more basic stats show we have the best pass defense this year by a pretty healthy margin. Us and New Orleans were the only teams to shut Brady down this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

The issue isn't man vs. zone. It's pressure. We played a lot of zone against Brady. But we got pressure, especially interior pressure, and disguised our coverages well.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, I think Incognito said that in another thread. I'm just saying that the eye test and the more basic stats show we have the best pass defense this year by a pretty healthy margin. Us and New Orleans were the only teams to shut Brady down this year.

You know what, I take this back. The Steelers and Redskins were a lot closer than I thought in pass defense numbers.

• Like 1

Heinicke probably gets another 6-8 years in the NFL after this game.

Great job. He deserves a chance to be in the mix next year, even if its as the placeholder for a hotshot prospect.

It would be tough to keep Alex Smith at 24 million or so at 37 with all his injuries.