Jump to content

Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, mwalker said:

Dickerson is the monster. He'll go higher than Humphrey (I think) and Hill.
I'm curious who you really like at ILB?

Zaven Collins, Bolton from Mizzou, Browning and Werner from tOSU, McGrone from Michigan, maybe a couple more I can't remember right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a rough framework for what I would consider an ideal scenario for the off-season:

1. Ben, Pouncey, AV retire

2. Butler stays, Fichnter fired. Bring on a high-profile/former OC to re-invent our offense and running game. Someone mentioned Doug Pederson, he would be a great fit.  

2. Bring back Bud, Hilton, Sutton, Banner (cheap), Alualu (maybe)

3. Let Conner, JuJu, Feiler and mostly everyone else walk

4. Trade/Cut Joe Haden, Cut Vance McDonald - I love Haden but he's going to fall of a cliff sooner rather than later. Doesn't fit with our re-build, I'd rather keep Sutton or see what we have with Layne next year. Vance is too replaceable, old, and injury prone for his cap hit. 

5. Draft Trey Lance round 1. After last night's performance of Mac Jones and Lance not having a season in 2020 I could easily see Mac Jones passing up Lance as QB4 in the draft that would allow Lance to either fall to us at 24 or within striking distance for a trade up from there. Go into next season and let Rudolph, Lance, and Dobbs battle it out. Let the re-build begin. 

6. Use the rest of our draft picks on OT, C, TE, RB. I don't think Snell or McFarland are the answer at RB. I vouched very hard for us to take Cam Akers in the 2nd round last year and while Claypool is great, there's no denying he has some maturity issues that weren't helped with Juju's influence. I think Akers is a similar talent at a bigger need. This year I would love Etienne in the 2nd round but if we go QB round 1 I think we go OT/C round 2. Dickerson in round 2 as the heir apparent to Pouncey would be awesome. 

OL would look something like Chuks - Dotson - Dickerson - Decastro - Banner. 

Thoughts?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 8:39 AM, bigben07MVP said:

Here's a rough framework for what I would consider an ideal scenario for the off-season:

1. Ben, Pouncey, AV retire

2. Butler stays, Fichnter fired. Bring on a high-profile/former OC to re-invent our offense and running game. Someone mentioned Doug Pederson, he would be a great fit.  

2. Bring back Bud, Hilton, Sutton, Banner (cheap), Alualu (maybe)

3. Let Conner, JuJu, Feiler and mostly everyone else walk

4. Trade/Cut Joe Haden, Cut Vance McDonald - I love Haden but he's going to fall of a cliff sooner rather than later. Doesn't fit with our re-build, I'd rather keep Sutton or see what we have with Layne next year. Vance is too replaceable, old, and injury prone for his cap hit. 

5. Draft Trey Lance round 1. After last night's performance of Mac Jones and Lance not having a season in 2020 I could easily see Mac Jones passing up Lance as QB4 in the draft that would allow Lance to either fall to us at 24 or within striking distance for a trade up from there. Go into next season and let Rudolph, Lance, and Dobbs battle it out. Let the re-build begin. 

6. Use the rest of our draft picks on OT, C, TE, RB. I don't think Snell or McFarland are the answer at RB. I vouched very hard for us to take Cam Akers in the 2nd round last year and while Claypool is great, there's no denying he has some maturity issues that weren't helped with Juju's influence. I think Akers is a similar talent at a bigger need. This year I would love Etienne in the 2nd round but if we go QB round 1 I think we go OT/C round 2. Dickerson in round 2 as the heir apparent to Pouncey would be awesome. 

OL would look something like Chuks - Dotson - Dickerson - Decastro - Banner. 

Thoughts?

I would love to see this happen, but I doubt it will. I'm skeptical Ben retires, and the only way we move on from Fichtner is if Ben goes. The only other point that I would push back against is the drafting of a QB. Although this is a deep draft class, I don't see Lance falling to pick 24 (although we are too early in the draft process to get a feel for this). And I am definitely not for drafting Mac Jones. He looks like he processes the field well, but if you're going to be a statue in the pocket, you also better have elite arm talent and he definitely doesn't have that. I just don't see much of a ceiling with him. I rather build up the offensive line this year, have a rough year and go for a QB next year. 

Edited by Steelers22
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Bring back Bud

I dont think Bud will be back. That's going to be too costly when it appears that Highsmith is in a really good place to replace him as the full time starter -- and far, far cheaper (even on a low end deal). Money is better spent elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Trade/Cut Joe Haden, Cut Vance McDonald

No real disagreement from me, but I can see them both back on different deals. Ultimately, I think Joe likes it here so I am hoping he wants to finish his career here and I think Vance is an okay(?) option to not go into next season without a viable starter. TE sucks...but I at least want one on my roster. 

6 minutes ago, Steelers22 said:

Draft Trey Lance round 1

I saw McShay's mock before I read your post and actually saw where he had Lance going 19 to the Football Team. My immediate thought was if that was the case I would be perfectly fine with the Steelers flipping some picks to move up 6 spots to the 18th with Miami (who I believe would be open to collecting picks at that spot) and taking Trey. 

I think this is a good option with or without Ben. With Ben, it offers a lower level college kid with tools an opportunity to get a year under his belt and if Ben isn't he can fight for a job he will ultimately get handed mid-season. 

If we do not take a QB in round 1, I'd probably rather punt on the position. Same as I feel about RB (though, I go round 1 or 2 there). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Zaven Collins, Bolton from Mizzou, Browning and Werner from tOSU, McGrone from Michigan, maybe a couple more I can't remember right now. 

I really like N.Bolton. He's quite like Bush, in a way.
Aggressive and fast at 6'1 235 or so.

ND ST transfer to LSU, J.Cox, is a specimen.

D.Moses from Alabama is a late 1 early 2 pick.

C.Surratt from UNC is a very good prospect.

The kid from Cal, Kuoy Deng is a 6'6 250 ILB!
Seems like a later round project type.

Edited by mwalker
Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, while everyone is having comments about this I have to ask.

am I the only person here that believes ben will be back on a reworked deal for 2+ years? I don't see him retiring and he runs this franchise. 

With his cap hit, it really is the main obstacle for next season.  The core of the team is mostly past their prime and it's over. Trade the pricey vets and make ben retire and move on. 

If they keep ben on a new deal with fichner here, I hope TJ request a trade or holds out.  I doubt he would but he shouldn't waste away here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, August4th said:

teams already making moves with coordinators with hires and firings. I wonder if we'll find out Randy's fate this week. I think they'll announce he's not getting a new deal.

I sure hope so, delaying the decision means having less of a pool to pick from. I want them to target someone and go get their guy. 

Well, I’m just hoping they go outside the organization. I don’t think handing the keys to Canada is good enough, though I’d welcome the change. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, August4th said:

teams already making moves with coordinators with hires and firings. I wonder if we'll find out Randy's fate this week. I think they'll announce he's not getting a new deal.

ben stays and as a result fichner stays.  2 year deal for ben for cap relief reasons, "give this one more try because we know we can make this work.  Just get me another WR or TE and we can make this work, maybe a RB as well. Let the defence go, we need more offence . "

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, warfelg said:

I know many will focus on this last game, but he's been doing it for years now as our defense has improved:

 

perhaps tomlin should be calling the offence as fichner is the problem not Butler.  wtf is going on over there? Maybe tomlin is the problem, fire fichner and call the offence if you have too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, warfelg said:

 

interesting ...Colbert has a history with the Lions. I geuss we would hire from within if Kevin leaves. Khan and hunt sharing the role? also heard one of the rooney's is a scout who has been working up in the FO and could get a bigger role

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, August4th said:

interesting ...Colbert has a history with the Lions. I geuss we would hire from within if Kevin leaves. Khan and hunt sharing the role? also heard one of the rooney's is a scout who has been working up in the FO and could get a bigger role

Well a few things...he’s under contract so we would be compensated. Khan is the logical advancement of Carolina doesn’t hire him leaving Hunt in line. Colbert also has about 3 personal appointments to the scouting department that would go with him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...