Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

Here is my updated mock draft:
1. Samuel Cosmi OT Texas
2. Trey Sermon RB Ohio State
3a. Deonte Brown OG Alabama
3b. Josh Jobe CB Alabama
4. Charles Snowden OLB Viriginia
6a. T.J. Carter CB Memphis 
6b. Max Duffy P Kentucky
7. Amari Rodgers WR Clemson

Canada was brought in to be the OC.  He just had a year watching the caddie.

Saw this on another site.  This is comparing what Tom Herman does and Matt Canada (LSU).  You get an idea at what you would want the offense to look like.

I am also a huge fan of Tom Herman.  i think he is an offensive genius.  The Steelers should bring him in as an Assistant on offense.  Him and Canada together would be the mad scientist lab.  The real question when you watch this, how much will Ben buy in?

Edited by jebrick

Not a fan.

What has he actually proven?      He wasnt even that good of a college coach.   Good coaches dont get let go as much as he has been.

There were far better options.   Instead, its another hand me down hire.    

Oh well.   Better get used to disappointment.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, warfelg said:

That sound you hear is the sound of 1000's of yinzer heads exploding.

This is the problem.    They care too much what Ben wants.

It was one thing when he was an asset on the field.   

Now, he is a liability to the entire team.

Not that I have anything against Juju, but its time for the people who run the team to tell Ben to shut the **** up.    

5 minutes ago, 43M said:

Not that I have anything against Juju, but its time for the people who run the team to tell Ben to shut the **** up.    

I’m fine with Ben wanting it. I’d just tell him he can’t make $19 mil this year then. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’m fine with Ben wanting it. I’d just tell him he can’t make $19 mil this year then. 

Yeah....him WANTING it isnt the real issue.

Its the fact that they will likely cave, and be forced to live with that decision after he is gone.

Again, Juju is a good player, and I dont have a problem keeping him around IN GENERAL.    But he will likely want more money than he is worth.   

I personally dont see Juju as a bonafide star number 1 WR, and thats likely what he will be looking for.     I see him as a great 2, solid 1.  

If the Steelers want to keep Juju really badly, then it doesnt really matter.   Just hoping they dont bend over backwards just to make it happen for the $40m QB who cant throw past 10 yards and wont take snaps under center.

I’m stuck in the middle on Canada. I’m not against his promotion at all, but I was hoping for a clean gut of the whole room. 

Its just my opinion, but with the way some things have shaken out in that room and the fact that Tomlin calls plays on D too, makes me think he isn’t that involved in the offense. So my desire to 1) turn over a completely new leaf and 2) hire a former HC that carries respect and ownership of large groups holds, while understanding Canada will be night and day to Fichty. 

This offense cannot pull a “oh, no it’s okay we do that this was...”. The new coordinator has to say, that’s great...but we don’t do that anymore. I think a completely new person is more likely to do that. 

This move does make me happy though that it seems like it was planned this way.  Hire Canada, integrate new ideas, I’d Randy sucks we have our next guy with a year around the team already. But that also makes me think they really knew Rando was a problem in the first place...

Edited by Dcash4

Similarly, I don't have a strong opinion on the Canada hire. It really depends on how much influence he had on the offense last year. If we're essentially running the same offense, I'd be very underwhelmed by the hire. If he had little to do with the offense, I'd be pretty happy about the hire. Just his general profile is appealing:

*College coach

*Utilizes motion/shifts heavily

*Adaptable and shapes offense according to personnel 

*Similar concepts from multiple looks

That profile fits what successful modern day offenses look like. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 9:42 AM, 43M said:

exactly , He still wants to run the team.  Add JJSS to the list of players that need to be gone

fichner

ben

pouncey

JJSS

just move on from them. Instead  another year wasted. I am expecting ben to get a 2 year deal as well

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

exactly , He still wants to run the team.  Add JJSS to the list of players that need to be gone

fichner

ben

pouncey

JJSS

just move on from them. Instead  another year wasted. I am expecting ben to get a 2 year deal as well

You want Ben gone?

Edited by DR43