Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

37 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I honestly think the plan was to wait to see what happened with the cap.

I do too, but I still think a lot of thought goes into it before. Our plan is X if its $176M, our plan is Y if its $198M, XYZ is the priority, etc, etc. Like if the plan was to immediately jump on Sutton and let Hilton's market play out or if they have already figured out the restructure/extension log to free up needed cash for FA. I would just hate to lose that planning, or maybe more importantly that time to make the decisions. 

Like today and tomorrow are not going to be the first time they think through deal structures and who they want on the team long term. IMO, its a crucial offseason for stability. 

1 hour ago, AFF said:

I think they add on 1 year to spread some of that $15 mill roster bonus to 2022.

You might be able to retool that OL cheaply with say...Chuks to LT, Banner on prove it deal at RT and at least 1 top 3 round pick...not sure what’s going onwithPouncey but insert Dotson at LG.

Im gonna guess they resign 1 ofHilton/Sutton with Layne seeming being passed in-depth chart by Pierre late in season.

Part of me would love Dupree back somehow to allow a 3 man rotation on the edges to keep everyone fresh.

I agree with a lot of this. I think your first two lines a pretty spot on - at least with what I would do. Between Chuks-Dotson-???-Decastro-Banner, I at least think we have an okay line. Dotson and Banner probably improve the run game and a healthy offseason for Decastro is a stop in the right direction. I think if Pouncey retires we go out and sign a low level FA starter, but I assume OT and C are on the list for at least one of them getting a top 3 round pick. 

I still think Hilton AND Sutton get signed back. Maybe that's at the expense of a Haden? I don't know. But I don't think it's impossible the are both back. Year 1 contract hits shouldnt be terrifying. 

I enjoy the idea of Dupree back, but I don't see how its viable. At the very minimum I see him with a $12M contract. We cannot one year that and I dont know why he would sign for multiple years. Best to use him money to retain other guys - like my idea above. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/mike-tomlin-on-roethlisberger-it-s-reasonable-to-assume-there-s-a-chance-he-ll-b

Tomlin admitted there was a "high-level of concern" regarding Roethlisberger's health and ability coming into 2020 but added that he "can't say enough" about the year Big Ben had. With that in mind, Tomlin didn't rule out the possibility that his QB1 will play out his 18th season in the black and gold.

25 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I agree with a lot of this. I think your first two lines a pretty spot on - at least with what I would do. Between Chuks-Dotson-???-Decastro-Banner, I at least think we have an okay line. Dotson and Banner probably improve the run game and a healthy offseason for Decastro is a stop in the right direction. I think if Pouncey retires we go out and sign a low level FA starter, but I assume OT and C are on the list for at least one of them getting a top 3 round pick. 

I still think Hilton AND Sutton get signed back. Maybe that's at the expense of a Haden? I don't know. But I don't think it's impossible the are both back. Year 1 contract hits shouldnt be terrifying. 

I enjoy the idea of Dupree back, but I don't see how its viable. At the very minimum I see him with a $12M contract. We cannot one year that and I dont know why he would sign for multiple years. Best to use him money to retain other guys - like my idea above. 

I’m guessing Haden would have to go TO resign both...they’d eat $8 mill but save $7 IIRC...regardless CB depth would be needed.

Pouncey being a ? Hurts but that should be determined by draft day regardless.

9 minutes ago, AFF said:

I’m guessing Haden would have to go TO resign both...they’d eat $8 mill but save $7 IIRC...regardless CB depth would be needed.

I think there is also a strong chance he gets a short extension. He is still capable of playing and starting I think. But if you can clear his money out in order to keep Sutton and Hilton -- I think thats best case scenario. I would love to have all 6 of our top DB's back next year. I think the defense alone would be in really good shape for years to come...just focus your assets on the offense. 

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I think there is also a strong chance he gets a short extension. He is still capable of playing and starting I think. But if you can clear his money out in order to keep Sutton and Hilton -- I think thats best case scenario. I would love to have all 6 of our top DB's back next year. I think the defense alone would be in really good shape for years to come...just focus your assets on the offense. 

I would dump Haden for Sutton AND Hilton coming back.  I also think we're going to see a true hometown discount from Juju on a 2 year deal to boot.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I would dump Haden for Sutton AND Hilton coming back.  I also think we're going to see a true hometown discount from Juju on a 2 year deal to boot.

I would def dump Haden for them too if that’s what it took. But my thought is, if I have an $8M cap hit regardless of him being here or not, can I work a short extension so he retires a steeler and make that money work for us? I would love all the DBs back. 

I like the JuJu thought. I’m very interested to see what happens with him. If he thinks his market sunk, maybe he would take a short term. He would only be what, 26 next go around? 

According to Mike Stone of 97.1 The Ticket, the Lions have made an offer to longtime Steelers GM Kevin Colbert -- and Colbert is 'close' to accepting. It's now on Steelers ownership to make a counteroffer to prevent Colbert from leaving.

Could be a very interesting off season

If this rumor is true, it's a big big big big big big red flag. You don't talk about retirement for a few years just to take the same job somewhere else....unless the real reason is you can't work with someone any more.

Edited by jebrick

40 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Could be a very interesting off season

If this rumor is true, it's a big big big big big big red flag. You don't talk about retirement for a few years just to take the same job somewhere else....unless the real reason is you can't work with someone any more.

Already been debunked.

47 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I would def dump Haden for them too if that’s what it took. But my thought is, if I have an $8M cap hit regardless of him being here or not, can I work a short extension so he retires a steeler and make that money work for us? I would love all the DBs back. 

I like the JuJu thought. I’m very interested to see what happens with him. If he thinks his market sunk, maybe he would take a short term. He would only be what, 26 next go around? 

Vets in last year of deal going into 2021...Decastro/Pouncey/Ben/Haden/Nelson.

Nelson might be the better long play and you would probably save just as much if you did it right...32 years old compared to 28.

I seriously doubt JuJu does a 2 year deal...4 or 5 yearcause he still gets another pay day at 28....he’s probably looking at an AAV of $16 mill or so.

6 hours ago, AFF said:

Vets in last year of deal going into 2021...Decastro/Pouncey/Ben/Haden/Nelson.

Nelson might be the better long play and you would probably save just as much if you did it right...32 years old compared to 28.

I seriously doubt JuJu does a 2 year deal...4 or 5 yearcause he still gets another pay day at 28....he’s probably looking at an AAV of $16 mill or so.

I disagree some with how Juju should play this out if this is with us or not. With the cap not jumping at its normal rate he will be taking a hit on what his pay could have been. If he takes a 2 year deal betting on himself then he goes for 3rd contract at 26 which could pay a lot more with the assumption the cap is back to raising every year post covid. If he keeps that deal at 4 years then he is on contract 4 at 30. He could potentially land 2 monster contracts at age 26 and 30 if he keeps this deal to 2 years.

4 hours ago, Big Snack said:

I disagree some with how Juju should play this out if this is with us or not. With the cap not jumping at its normal rate he will be taking a hit on what his pay could have been. If he takes a 2 year deal betting on himself then he goes for 3rd contract at 26 which could pay a lot more with the assumption the cap is back to raising every year post covid. If he keeps that deal at 4 years then he is on contract 4 at 30. He could potentially land 2 monster contracts at age 26 and 30 if he keeps this deal to 2 years.

The reason I said 2 years is it gives him the ability to see what the Steelers do post Ben, or it gives him one more year with Ben.  I've heard he really does love Pittsburgh and his first choice is to be back.  But if he comes back on a 2 year deal he gets to see what the post Ben plan is.  If Ben doesn't come back and they don't do something to replace Ben he can go elsewhere.  heck he could do 2/$20 here, if his stats don't jump he could do 1/$12 somewhere with a ring chance at 27, then sign a 4/$70 deal at 27/28 on another team.