Future QB Discussion

G08

43 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Bwahahaha, so make that an oft-injured, inexplicably declining, unlikable QB who ALSO DOESN'T WANT TO BE HERE

The tweet says his preference is to go to the Colts. It doesn’t say he’s opposed to going to the Bears. Also I’m not sure why McLane makes the connection that Wentz’s preference would expedite any trade. He really has no say in where he goes in this scenario since he doesn’t have a NTC - PHI will simply send him wherever they get the best return (though they may prefer to send him to the AFC which is obviously in the Colts’ favor). 

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Albert Breer

-Doesn’t think Philly gets a 1 unless they are sending picks back or eating a ton of extra salary cap room.

-Thinks he ends up in Chicago

-Thinks it is a good fit because Flip was the hard *** in Philly that fixed his mechanical Issues.

I still think the sweet spot here is 20 and a future 2/3 for 37 and Wentz. We effectively pay 2 2nds for the upside swing and PHI gets “a 1st rounder” plus for Wentz.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The tweet says his preference is to go to the Colts. It doesn’t say he’s opposed to going to the Bears. Also I’m not sure why McLane makes the connection that Wentz’s preference would expedite any trade. He really has no say in where he goes in this scenario since he doesn’t have a NTC - PHI will simply send him wherever they get the best return (though they may prefer to send him to the AFC which is obviously in the Colts’ favor). 

I know, I know, but it's more fun to imagine, like, Jay Cutler, but a Jay Cutler that didn't want to move in the first place.  Like picture that whole "Jay in the Wildcat" meme, but for every snap and he's under center.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I still think the sweet spot here is 20 and a future 2/3 for 37 and Wentz. We effectively pay 2 2nds for the upside swing and PHI gets “a 1st rounder” plus for Wentz.

I like the idea of 

20, Foles, 3(2022) that becomes a 2nd if Wentz doesn’t suck.

For

Wentz and 38

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So you weren't one of those who kept defending him?

This is just another example of...."I knew all along that Mitch was bad".

GTFO lol. 

This cracks me up every time . Especially when these people vouched for him and give him excuses when he was signed AND even after his rookie year.

But hey, it's easy to criticize in hindsight. Especially in hopes that no one catches you on your BS. 

Reading these threads are hilarious to read now. Everyone was defending Mitch and saying he was the guy and that Pace was a good GM. But yet here are..... 

These same people must've forgot all of that because now it makes them all look like fools. 

I'm gonna continue to call all of you out on your bull****. 

Yeah, I defended Mitch for a long time, particularly from folks who "just knew" that he was bad. Or, were arguing from the standpoint that the Bears can't draft a good quarterback because they're the Bears. I don't get what that has to do with anything I said in my post. Pace himself declared that he wanted to draft quarterbacks often. I'm fairly sure that I thought that was a good idea at the time? If I didn't then, I certainly do now.

I also don't understand how it's bull**** if somebody watches a young player and declares, "Wow this guy is going to be good!", (I believe I'm on record as saying I believed Mitch's floor was "good"), then after some time, when that player proves them wrong says, "Gee, this guy really isn't very good". 

I watched a few games of Ryan Leaf's when he was at Washington State and thought, "Wow, I get what all the hype is about!". Turns out I was wrong about the guy. He was doing a lot of half-field reads, and was totally nuts, to boot.

But hey, feel free to continue to try to start pointless arguments. If you're going about trying to get a rise out of folks (and it certainly appears that you are by your recent behavior), posts like that are best directed towards people who can't admit they were wrong. 

23 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That would be a fairly low-risk deal, actually. I'd feel a lot better if it went down that way.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

While that seems like fair value, I don't see how the Bears can fill the holes on the roster after taking on Wentz's salary and giving up the 20th pick.

You'd have to re-structure a lot of contracts and basically tie yourself to this group of players for several more years.

9 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

While that seems like fair value, I don't see how the Bears can fill the holes on the roster after taking on Wentz's salary and giving up the 20th pick.

You'd have to re-structure a lot of contracts and basically tie yourself to this group of players for several more years.

The money is always going to be a turd. That is why the draft picks need to be reduced. We need starters from the draft 

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Well, they'd have two second round picks this year. It's not a bad deal. It would go a long way towards patching things up, if Pace did things right. Also, the roster doesn't have a ton of holes, really. The GM just has to pick players that solve the problems that do exist. 

@WindyCity's other two proposals are a little more palatable than the one were talking about, too. If they could throw Cohen and Foles in and minimize the cost in draft capital, it would be sweet. 

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

By retaining Pace it was obvious that ownership preferred to go forward with the core group that they had. Pace wasn't about to strip down the team. Also, if Mitch hadn't crashed and burned they'd be faced with similar money issues anyway. 

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

If we add Wentz we’re going to have to do a lot of cap juggling for sure. Nothing outlandish though - moves on Hicks, Fuller and Mack plus the obvious cuts can create much if not all of what is needed. The harder fit will be if we need to fit a tag for ARob instead of an extension plus adding Wentz in a move that doesn’t also shed salary.

In my proposal going from picking 20 and 52 in the first two rounds to 37 and 52 would save us about $900k against the 2021 cap. The first year cap hit for last year’s #20 (K’Lavon Chaisson) was $2.426M. #37 (Kyle Duggar) was $1.514M. So roughly the savings of a veteran signing for the minimum salary benefit. Not a huge savings, but enough to add a depth piece later in FA, which being as up against the cap as we expect to be is noteworthy.

It’s going to be a lean FA if we trade for Wentz. We’re going to need at least one OT, a 2nd TE, ideally another vet WR since we can’t seemingly count on Miller and a starting S if Gipson isn’t brought back. I’m eyeing the draft in round 1 or 2 for the OT, and honestly I’d be thrilled if we went OT/OT with both our round 1/2 picks if we still have them, even if we only move on from one of Leno and Massie this year. We signed Gipson last offseason later on for $1M and I think likely go that route again at S for a comparable player. Bet TE depth can probably be had for a comparable price too - Kmet showed a lot of promise the last month or so and we’re going to have to count on him to build off of that this season. I think because of cap concerns someone like Horsted has a better shot this year to make the squad. We’re looking for a role player IMO with any WR signing, with ARob/Mooney holding the primary roles. Guys like that can definitely be had on the cheap. I think you’ll be able to get secondary target type guys like Keelan Cole or Kendrick Bourne or Chris Conley this offseason on super reasonable deals to fill a WR3/4 role. I’m probably signing a guy like that and then drafting an upside guy in a middle round like Sage Surratt, Frank Darby or Cornell Powell, though I have a huge football crush on Amari Rodgers right now. 

It won’t be exciting, but it’ll be doable. 

Albert Breer:

I think it’s pretty clear at this point that the Bears have pushed harder than the Colts to get Carson Wentz. The Eagles are probably gonna get the best return with Carson Wentz going to Chicago. I think the last piece of it, then, would become can you convince Carson Wentz it’s the right thing to do because I think the Bears would like to at least like know Carson Wentz is on board before pulling the trigger on a trade.

Edited by G08

50 minutes ago, G08 said:

Albert Breer:

I think it’s pretty clear at this point that the Bears have pushed harder than the Colts to get Carson Wentz. The Eagles are probably gonna get the best return with Carson Wentz going to Chicago. I think the last piece of it, then, would become can you convince Carson Wentz it’s the right thing to do because I think the Bears would like to at least like know Carson Wentz is on board before pulling the trigger on a trade.

If that's the case who the f*** does Carson Wentz think he is?

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Albert Breer:

How funny would it be if the worst QB in the league last season told Pace and Nagy to **** off? I wonder if George would even realize how pathetic it was?

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1