Future QB Discussion

G08

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Honestly I'd go for the best overall TE regardless of what role they fit best. I think Kmet could do well at UTE and if we can get a better blocker in there then we could have a solid duo of run blockers. 

Hopefully they come to their senses, and give Horstead a bigger role. 

(He's still on the roster, right?)

25 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Orlando Brown

I was just getting ready to suggest him. The problem is we would have to extend him and most likely have to pay him top-3 tackle money.  But that would be nice addition. 

19 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't know, might be...😁

That's true given Daniels injury history.

17 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Honestly I'd go for the best overall TE regardless of what role they fit best. I think Kmet could do well at UTE and if we can get a better blocker in there then we could have a solid duo of run blockers. 

I wouldn't be opposed to it but I'm not sure how deep this TE class is past Fitts that would warrant a 1st round pick. (albeit I legit haven't paid much attention to TEs so....).

To be honest, I would be fine with any of these in the first 2 rounds; QB, OT, TE, WR (if Robinson is gone), EDGE.  But every day I'm leaning more and more towards building around the QB rather than using 1st or 2nd on one. I keep going back and forth with it--mainly because I know they HAVE to do something and I'm not sure what that something is.

If Pace/nagy can't get the QB they want in the 1st.... then don't reach....build around the QB position so at least the next QB can come into a stable offense. A solid young OL, a #1 WR, a budding star #2WR, two good TEs, a good run game, and solid pieces in place with a lot of money and capital to rebuild the defense. 

As a rookie QB you can't ask for a better situation than that. Just don't throw him to wolves behind a broken OL like Cincy did with Burrow this year. 

This is what I'm hoping for anyhow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I was just getting ready to suggest him. The problem is we would have to extend him and most likely have to pay him top-3 tackle money.  But that would be nice addition. 

idk about top-3 money. I think the franchise tag number is definitely the starting point though, but that shouldn't be a big deal, assuming his level of play for us at LT is the same has it was when he filled in for staley.  

11 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

idk about top-3 money. I think the franchise tag number is definitely the starting point though, but that shouldn't be a big deal, assuming his level of play for us at LT is the same has it was when he filled in for staley.  

You would be investing 2 premium resources in a LT. 18-20/season and a 1st round pick.

The Bears cannot really afford to put 2 premium resources on anything that isn’t a QB solution.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Hopefully they come to their senses, and give Horstead a bigger role. 

(He's still on the roster, right?)

I'm fine with him getting a fair chance to challenge for playing time. He hasnt earned it yet but outside of Kmet (assuming Graham isnt here costing so much) no one has. I want competition across the board for most positions. 

That's true given Daniels injury history.

I wouldn't be opposed to it but I'm not sure how deep this TE class is past Fitts that would warrant a 1st round pick. (albeit I legit haven't paid much attention to TEs so....).

To be honest, I would be fine with any of these in the first 2 rounds; QB, OT, TE, WR (if Robinson is gone), EDGE.  But every day I'm leaning more and more towards building around the QB rather than using 1st or 2nd on one. I keep going back and forth with it--mainly because I know they HAVE to do something and I'm not sure what that something is.

If Pace/nagy can't get the QB they want in the 1st.... then don't reach....build around the QB position so at least the next QB can come into a stable offense. A solid young OL, a #1 WR, a budding star #2WR, two good TEs, a good run game, and solid pieces in place with a lot of money and capital to rebuild the defense. 

As a rookie QB you can't ask for a better situation than that. Just don't throw him to wolves behind a broken OL like Cincy did with Burrow this year. 

This is what I'm hoping for anyhow. 

If not QB I want OTs. I want 2 OTs in the first 3 rounds. There is plenty of depth in this class and we need to start double dipping when we have the chance there. 

Our OT play was abysmal and we cant keep sacrificing our offense because they suck. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Ideally Ifedi and Bars are backups. The line was better with them in there, but it still wasn’t good.

If Whitehair/Mustipher/Daniels are our starters with Bars as the primary backup on the inside I’m ok with that. Our primary OL problems are at tackle. IMO, the more immediate need is at RT. Leno ain’t great but he’s serviceable especially when Whitehair is next to him. Massie/Ifedi are the weakest link. 

59 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm fine with him getting a fair chance to challenge for playing time. He hasnt earned it yet but outside of Kmet (assuming Graham isnt here costing so much) no one has. I want competition across the board for most positions. 

If not QB I want OTs. I want 2 OTs in the first 3 rounds. There is plenty of depth in this class and we need to start double dipping when we have the chance there. 

Our OT play was abysmal and we cant keep sacrificing our offense because they suck. 

54 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You would be investing 2 premium resources in a LT. 18-20/season and a 1st round pick.

The Bears cannot really afford to put 2 premium resources on anything that isn’t a QB solution.

It would be for two tackles and well worth it, especially with one on a rookie deal.  There's no such thing as too much resources in the trenches to keep my QB upright and healthy, give him a chance to learn without running for his life, and to give my RBs room to breathe IMO.

Especially at the tackle positions in a league where you need 2 good tackles on offense just as important as you need 2 good pass rushers on defense. 

Cap hits for the #20 pick would be close to 2.4M in 2021, 3.0M in 2022, 3.6M in 2023, and 4.2M in 2024. 

If we extended Brown to a contact similar to Staley's the cap hits would be; 15.2M in 2021,  17.2M in 2022,  20.2M in 2023,  22.7M in 2024,  23.2M in 2025. 

Total combined cap hits for two (presumably) elite starting tackles to protect the next future QB for atleast the next 4 years would be roughly;

2021: 17.6M divided by 2 = 8.8M
2022: 20.2M  = 10.1M
2023: 23.8M = 11.9M
2024: 26.9M = 13.5M

Take my money now. 

And ofcourse the Brown deal is based on worst case scenario too (Staley's 64M fully guaranteed) and can be adjusted. 

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If Whitehair/Mustipher/Daniels are our starters with Bars as the primary backup on the inside I’m ok with that. Our primary OL problems are at tackle. IMO, the more immediate need is at RT. Leno ain’t great but he’s serviceable especially when Whitehair is next to him. Massie/Ifedi are the weakest link. 

Massie was playing pretty well to start the year when it was Leno/Daniels/Whitehair/Ifedi/Massie.  Leno was the one getting beat like a drum. 

I wouldn't mind keeping Massie as a backup. Although I doubt he would take backup money.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Leno ain’t great but he’s serviceable especially when Whitehair is next to him. Massie/Ifedi are the weakest link. 

Leno wasn't "serviceable" at all this past season. He was downright BAD, and looked completely lost, at times. This offense isn't moving forward with him being a regular part of it. Scrubs from other teams could literally play better than Leno did last season. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I'm fine with him getting a fair chance to challenge for playing time. He hasnt earned it yet but outside of Kmet (assuming Graham isnt here costing so much) no one has. 

Aren't you assuming Nagy is putting the best players on the field? Is there a reason we should assume this?

15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Aren't you assuming Nagy is putting the best players on the field? Is there a reason we should assume this?

"He's been getting better and better every day and.... you know, we see it in practice."

In all seriousness though, he was given a chance last season to play a bigger part in the offense and he blew it. I forgot what game it was or even the context of the specific play but I do remember him making a huge mistake (it was late in the season I know that). I wish I could remember the details.  But yeah, I'm not sure he's gonna work out here. 

31 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Leno wasn't "serviceable" at all this past season. He was downright BAD, and looked completely lost, at times. This offense isn't moving forward with him being a regular part of it. Scrubs from other teams could literally play better than Leno did last season. 

Leno was indeed serviceable with Whitehair next to him. I'm not sure how you can debate that. 

It would be for two tackles and well worth it, especially with one on a rookie deal.  There's no such thing as too much resources in the trenches to keep my QB upright and healthy, give him a chance to learn without running for his life, and to give my RBs room to breathe IMO.

Especially at the tackle positions in a league where you need 2 good tackles on offense just as important as you need 2 good pass rushers on defense. 

Cap hits for the #20 pick would be close to 2.4M in 2021, 3.0M in 2022, 3.6M in 2023, and 4.2M in 2024. 

If we extended Brown to a contact similar to Staley's the cap hits would be; 15.2M in 2021,  17.2M in 2022,  20.2M in 2023,  22.7M in 2024,  23.2M in 2025. 

Total combined cap hits for two (presumably) elite starting tackles to protect the next future QB for atleast the next 4 years would be roughly;

2021: 17.6M divided by 2 = 8.8M
2022: 20.2M  = 10.1M
2023: 23.8M = 11.9M
2024: 26.9M = 13.5M

Take my money now. 

And ofcourse the Brown deal is based on worst case scenario too (Staley's 64M fully guaranteed) and can be adjusted. 

Sorry, I missed the proposed trade, they aren’t trading Brown for Allen Robinson. 

Brown is going to cost a 1st round pick plus and a massive contract extension.

Even if you could make the deal where is the QB coming from?

Edited by WindyCity

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

What are you trading for Brown?

Brown is going to cost a 1st round pick plus and a massive contract extension. That is 2 resources for 1 player.

That would leave little money to address QB and keep Robinson.

Robinson would be part of the deal in @HuskieBear scenario.  Both players are disgruntled. One OT wants a chance to start and new contract and the Bears need a OT.  While one WR is tired of playing with garbage QB's and inept offenses and the Ravens need a WR for Lamar.  

Edited by JAF-N72EX