Bobby's Tonyan's Open Letter.....

vegas492

1 minute ago, Uffdaswede said:

Yes. Bobby might be a great Packer, but he has an agent. The agent has a job, and that job is to look out for the financial interest of his client. Game and season proven tight ends are highly regarded offensive weapons. (Just when you plan on using that late second round pick on a tight end in a deep draft, Richard Rodgers is the last one left.)

People will pay for what Tonyan has been showing on the field. There will be no home town discount here. 

13 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Yes. Bobby might be a great Packer, but he has an agent. The agent has a job, and that job is to look out for the financial interest of his client. It seems that tight ends are always highly regarded offensive weapons. (Just when you plan on using that late second round pick on a tight end in a deep draft, Richard Rodgers is the last one left.)

People will pay for what Tonyan has been showing on the field. There will be no home town discount here. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

This was a great read as well and it's great that some of what was shared about Tae's mentality in this article was also shared by Bobby. I hadn't realized until the Titans game, that Tae is a perfectionist like Rodgers - it's a scary combo for other teams. They both hold themselves to the highest standards and I'd be willing to bet that Rodgers beats himself up over his mistakes much like that piece describes Tae doing. We are blessed as fans to see these two working together.

Can someone walk me through Tonyan's options after this season? I know he's a restricted free agent, but I'm not always sure how that affects his decisions or the packers decisions.

I assume the options look something like:
1) Sign a long term deal with the Packers. Packers would do this for some sort of discount

2) Slap a tender on him. If another team slaps a better offer on him, we have the right to counter. If he leaves the Packers, we'd get a pick from the new team based on the size of the offer. Are deals like this only for a year? Do players have any options in deal like this? I'd figure they'd want a deal longer than a year.

3) Something else?

18 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Can someone walk me through Tonyan's options after this season? I know he's a restricted free agent, but I'm not always sure how that affects his decisions or the packers decisions.

1) Sign a long term deal with the Packers. Packers would do this for some sort of discount

Yes.  GB and Tonyan could agree to a long term contract

2) Slap a tender on him. If another team slaps a better offer on him, we have the right to counter. If he leaves the Packers, we'd get a pick from the new team based on the size of the offer.

Not quite.  RFA tags are as follows 

1st round

2nd round

original drafted round

no pick 

Each are with GB having the right to match..

Tongan was undrafted, so the 1st or 2nd round tag makes the most sense.  I would guess 2nd round ...about $3.4M for 1 year.

Are deals like this only for a year? Do players have any options in deal like this? I'd figure they'd want a deal longer than a year.

The RFA tag is 1 year.  Other teams can offer any length and structure they want and GB has the right to match or take the draft pick if not.

3) Something else?

No tag, he becomes a UFA.  Similar to Linsley or King

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yes.  GB and Tonyan could agree to a long term contract

Not quite.  RFA tags are as follows 

1st round

2nd round

original drafted round

no pick 

Each are with GB having the right to match..

Tongan was undrafted, so the 1st or 2nd round tag makes the most sense.  I would guess 2nd round ...about $3.4M for 1 year.

The RFA tag is 1 year.  Other teams can offer any length and structure they want and GB has the right to match or take the draft pick if not.

No tag, he becomes a UFA.  Similar to Linsley or King

Thanks, but a few follow up questions
1) GB puts the 2nd round tender on him for $3.4M, could another team offer him a 4 year deal for $40 million, just to make it an outrageous number? They'd be offering a second round pick and a huge offer in that case, right?

I guess I'm struggling to understand what the "restricted" part of restricted free agency is.

I'm assuming the system is designed so the original team gets a discount on a UDFA they developed, Tonyan gets at least a small payday before hitting regular free agency, and opposing teams can still poach away your talent, but only if they're willing to pay a premium?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

1) GB puts the 2nd round tender on him for $3.4M, could another team offer him a 4 year deal for $40 million, just to make it an outrageous number? They'd be offering a second round pick and a huge offer in that case, right?

I guess I'm struggling to understand what the "restricted" part of restricted free agency is.

I'm assuming the system is designed so the original team gets a discount on a UDFA they developed, Tonyan gets at least a small payday before hitting regular free agency, and opposing teams can still poach away your talent, but only if they're willing to pay a premium?

Yes, if the Bears wanted Tonyan, they could offer that 4/40 contract.  However if the Packers didn't want to pay Tonyan 4/40, the Bears would be stuck with that 4/40 contract. Plus the Bears would have to give up the tendered draft pick.

Basically no 1st/2nd round tendered player movers because the team would have to value the player that draft pick more than the agreed upon contract. The second round tender on Tonyan keeps him here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

What AG20 says.

GB did this with the CB Fuller from Chicago a few years ago.  

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes, if the Bears wanted Tonyan, they could offer that 4/40 contract.  However if the Packers didn't want to pay Tonyan 4/40, the Bears would be stuck with that 4/40 contract. Plus the Bears would have to give up the tendered draft pick.

Basically no 1st/2nd round tendered player movers because the team would have to value the player that draft pick more than the agreed upon contract. The second round tender on Tonyan keeps him here. 

This.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, squire12 said:

What AG20 says.

GB did this with the CB Fuller from Chicago a few years ago.  

This.

Was going to mention the Fuller deal.  We set up a workable contract for a starting corner, basically doing the Bears’ FO homework for them and they chose to sign. One part of the deal, was a backloading it a few years and they will have to decide if he’s worth paying 20mil next season along with other big contracts. Fuller is solid but not a star and players always look better playing on a strong unit. That D is bound to lose some pieces next year as they search for a new DC. 

As far as Tonyan,  I feel like you’ve got to pay him.  He’s done everything asked of him on a bargain contract. He won’t get superstar money but he has value on the open market. 2nd round tender seems like the the way it will go, I have no idea about the money/length of the deal. 

3 hours ago, pgwingman said:

2) Slap a tender on him. If another team slaps a better offer on him, we have the right to counter. If he leaves the Packers, we'd get a pick from the new team based on the size of the offer. Are deals like this only for a year? Do players have any options in deal like this? I'd figure they'd want a deal longer than a year.

3) Something else?

That's really the only options.  They either slap a tender on him (RFA) or they don't (UFA).  And they can extend him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Yes.  They could structure it in whatever way they wanted to.  They got rid of the poison pill (see Steve Hutchinson years ago), so you have to make "legal" contracts.  Basically, the only difference between UFA and RFA is that teams of the FA have the right to match the new contract by another team so long as they tender him a tender.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Refugee said:

As far as Tonyan,  I feel like you’ve got to pay him.  He’s done everything asked of him on a bargain contract. He won’t get superstar money but he has value on the open market. 2nd round tender seems like the the way it will go, I have no idea about the money/length of the deal. 

The SRP tender is the way I'd approach it.  It's not so "hefty" of a price tag that if someone was willing to pay top dollar for him that they'd "hurt" by giving up their SRP, but not enough to get any team to sign him to an offer.