Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

12 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Regardless of these arguments where you guys keep shooting yourselves in the foot, I’d imagine you’d have to agree that the only way we should be moving on from Goff right now is if it’s for an Upgrade right? I need to hear that from you all, because if not.....

And right now, of the options that can even be considered upgrades there are like 4 total, and 2 of them are so far beyond piped ram I don’t know why I’m even going to mention them;

1. Trevor Lawrence - I mean it’s just not happening in any reality

2. Aaron Rodgers - He’s pretty much winked at the camera since his post game presser and confirmed he’s not going anywhere this year

3. Deshawn Watson - No one is arguing he isn’t an upgrade, but we don’t seem to be high on his list (NYJ and MIA are) and we don’t have a quarter of the draft capital those teams do. 

4. Matt Stafford - this isn’t even a sure thing to be an upgrade, but I’ll give the benefit of the doubt for this exercise. And it sounds like a lot of teams are in on him, so will be tough to have the best package to offer. 

Who else is an upgrade on Goff right now that is actually available? Minshew isn’t, no way we can afford Dak with our cap situation, Jamies isn’t? Is there anyone other than the pipedreams that continued to be drooled over that would present an immediate upgrade? Because we are trying to win a Super Bowl right now aren’t we?

Trade Goff for 1st to Indy like @jrry proposed. Trade #57 to the Jets for Sam Darnold. I'd do that in a heartbeat. It's essentiually a 2 year try out because we would get him on the 4th year of his rookie deal and option to pick up his 5th.  He is perfect for McVay's offense and has been on one of the least talent teams in the league these past 3 years from the offensive side of the ball. Also, hes wayyy more athletic then people give him credit for. 

Jets remain non-commital on Darnold's future and could target Fields/Wilson at #2 while picking up an additional 2nd rounder. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

LMFAO "An opinion different from mine? Why would I pay any attention to that? He's only a former NFL player thats been in a lockerroom before. How does he know more than me?" . Don't come at me saying I'm just giving my opinions because the examples I bring to the table are from Snead, McVay, Rapaport, Schrager, Wyche, and now MJD. You choose not to like them for obvious reasons. 

mr rogers clown GIF

Also, there is a new standard in this lockeroom and getting to the playoffs is no longer enough. Winning seasons are not enough. It's superbowl or bust. 

No you have skewed the quotes of basically everyone you’ve used. But it’s quite clear you can’t see that.

And MJD didn’t say that has happened, he said it could, except he hasn’t been part of an NFL locker room in 6 years. I’m sure that stuff did happen in his locker rooms, because he was part of bad teams and a pretty sub par franchise. (Literally 1 winning season his entire career)

But again, cute gif, I’m sure it makes you feel better as you try and twist and turn out of the mousetrap you find yourself in. 

Super Bowl or bust? Haha LMAFO ROFL LOL (did I miss any?) just more nonsense 

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

No you have skewed the quotes of basically everyone you’ve used. But it’s quite clear you can’t see that.

And MJD didn’t say that has happened, he said it could, except he hasn’t been part of an NFL locker room in 6 years. I’m sure that stuff did happen in his locker rooms, because he was part of bad teams and a pretty sub par franchise. (Literally 1 winning season his entire career)

But again, cute gif, I’m sure it makes you feel better as you try and twist and turn out of the mousetrap you find yourself in. 

Super Bowl or bust? Haha LMAFO ROFL LOL (did I miss any?) just more nonsense 

I'm skewing quotes or you just dont want to believe what's being said has a semblance of truth? 

When was the last time you were a part of an NFL lockerroom? 

Idk this mousetrap garbage you're spewing, but continue to discredit things you dont agree with. It's worked out well for you so far. 👍

We haven't had a losing season under McVay. We've been to the playoffs 3x in 4 years. We've been to a Superbowl once in the last 3 years. If you don't think the goal is Superbowl or bust then what do you think it is for this franchise at this time? I'm genuinely curious. 

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You have issues with Goff’s performance but you think Sam Darnold is the answer??

We have officially entered crazy town. That is a bananas take right there

I'm sure people in Tenn thought the same thing about Tannehill coming from Miami. Worked out well for them. But I get it. Two completely diff scenarios. Tannehill played for a talentless team with a garbage coach in Adam Gase and Darnold played on a talent less team with a garbage coach in ....oh nvm.

Yeah, give me Darnold. 

Edited by BStanRamFan

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You have issues with Goff’s performance but you think Sam Darnold is the answer??

We have officially entered crazy town. That is a bananas take right there

I’d be livid if the Rams replaced Goff with Darnold. Someone would have to have me committed to an asylum. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

We haven't had a losing season under McVay. We've been to the playoffs 3x in 4 years. We've been to a Superbowl once in the last 3 years. If you don't think the goal is Superbowl or bust then what do you think it is for this franchise at this time? I'm genuinely curious. 

Every single teams goal every single year is to win the Super Bowl. But if you actually think “Super Bowl or bust” then you are delusional. Only 2 teams get there, only 1 team wins it. You can’t be so naive to think every year now is a disappointment if we don’t win the Super Bowl. That’s levels of narcissistic that only Patriot fans have ever really gotten to. 

• Like 1

Jourdan Rodrique of the Athletic. Some key quotes from her latest article:

On a QB Competition with Wolford:

(McVay) likes how, even when his pocket breaks down, Wolford is able to move and to reset his launch point. That’s a big reason why you saw more of the longer-developing plays (which were absent from a Goff-led offense this year) work with Wolford. The Rams didn’t have a deep-threat receiver and were pass-protecting at about the same rate as in 2019 (and were without veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth for a portion of this year), so Wolford’s ability to move around and away from pressure, reset and give those types of plays the time needed to develop added a layer to the offense that McVay appreciated.

Defenses have successfully pressured Goff with four players — thus creating less favorable offensive situations downfield — but Wolford’s admittedly small sample size showed an ability to move, which demanded more attention with extra rushers. Free rushers couldn’t cover the bootlegs the Rams love to use, because Wolford got into them faster and moved them away from pressure when needed. Against the Cardinals, whose defensive game plan dared Wolford to throw in its effort to contain the Rams’ run game, McVay liked how his entire offense and the quarterback weren’t dependent on successfully running the ball.

This is the reason the Rams could very well believe Wolford could compete with Goff in training camp. No, on paper it doesn’t make sense that an undrafted free agent would compete with a former No. 1 overall draft pick. I hear you. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Trade Speculation

To me, McVay and Snead’s comments shouldn’t affect trade leverage. Other teams know where the Rams stand, and the Rams aren’t going to sugarcoat it. They have no cap room, few draft picks and, because of their roster structure, need every pick they have to retool around core players. Continuing to signal that they are open to all options isn’t tanking their own leverage. How can you tank what everyone knows you hardly have?

I also disagree with the take that being non-committal about Goff’s future lowers his market value elsewhere. NFL franchises don’t operate on hearsay from relative strangers at a virtual podium; they operate on data obtained by their own people, and that data is readily available. In fact, in some twisted way it should send a message about the options they’re willing to consider. You mean a team can get a top-15 quarterback for a few picks in return as long as they take on that contract? It’s like the Rams have turned on their Krispy Kreme “Hot and Fresh” sign. Come and get it!

You know what actually tanks a quarterback’s trade market? Getting up to the podium and dumping on him, or leaking about poor health or some sort of mental block or character concerns or locker room rift or really anything that would make the Rams look better in this situation. Instead, both Snead and McVay offered a fair assessment of Goff in their full remarks (not just the ones floating around on Twitter) — including notes on the good things and the not-so-good.

Sure, they look like crap to some fans and pundits for not committing publicly to Goff. But they didn’t commit to him because they are not committed to him.

Edited by BStanRamFan

3 hours ago, Flounch said:

Is that the game where Everett drop a TD catch in the endzone, or Wolford starting the drive at the 18 yards in his own territory and went to the Cardinals 2 yards line and then Akers fumble it ? 

Everett is always dropping TD catches, that doesn’t change regardless of who’s behind center. Goff has had these same inconsistencies from these guys, difference is that Goff has proven he can still score points....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Everett is always dropping TD catches, that doesn’t change regardless of who’s behind center. Goff has had these same inconsistencies from these guys, difference is that Goff has proven he can still score points....

Yep. In Goff's first game against SF, Kupp dropped two TDs (he had a very uncharacteristic game). Both of those drives ended with no points. Yet, you're not going to hear me sit here and say that Goff had a good game against SF because Kupp dropped those passes. It's the QB's job to lead the offense to points. Sometimes, the guys around you don't execute. You gotta find a way to deliver. That's what we demand of Goff. Why aren't we demanding it of Wolford? 

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I'm sure people in Tenn thought the same thing about Tannehill coming from Miami. Worked out well for them. But I get it. Two completely diff scenarios. Tannehill played for a talentless team with a garbage coach in Adam Gase and Darnold played on a talent less team with a garbage coach in ....oh nvm.

Yeah, give me Darnold. 

Tannehill posted a 93.2 PR, a 65.2% completion percentage, and 7.5 YPA under Gase. Darnold posted a 79.1 PR, a 60.9% completion percentage, and 6.5 YPA under Gase. You're comparing apples to oranges. Going all in on Darnold is madness, as is trading a second for him.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

And what do you think she was saying with this article?

Just remember you’re not the only one with an Athletic subscription 

I was trying to share information for the people who do not have the Athletic subscription. Didn't think I was the only one with one?

The purpose of her article was to outline the 3 options for Goff ( Competition, Trade, Cut). The competition was most likely, followed by trade, and least likely, cut. She outlined nicely the things Wolford does better in the offense that Goff does not, along with what McVay values in them. As outlined here:

so Wolford’s ability to move around and away from pressure, reset and give those types of plays the time needed to develop added a layer to the offense that McVay appreciated. Against the Cardinals, whose defensive game plan dared Wolford to throw in its effort to contain the Rams’ run game, McVay liked how his entire offense and the quarterback weren’t dependent on successfully running the ball.

She also outlined nicely how the communication surrounding trading Goff didn't necessarily hurt his value, it just let other teamsk now the Rams are open for business on discussing trades.

Cutting Goff is not a realistic option to anyone. What was your take?

41 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yep. In Goff's first game against SF, Kupp dropped two TDs (he had a very uncharacteristic game). Both of those drives ended with no points. Yet, you're not going to hear me sit here and say that Goff had a good game against SF because Kupp dropped those passes. It's the QB's job to lead the offense to points. Sometimes, the guys around you don't execute. You gotta find a way to deliver. That's what we demand of Goff. Why aren't we demanding it of Wolford? 

One guy played 4 full seasons as a starter and one played one game. I think we just wanted to see more before passing full judgement. 

42 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Tannehill posted a 93.2 PR, a 65.2% completion percentage, and 7.5 YPA under Gase. Darnold posted a 79.1 PR, a 60.9% completion percentage, and 6.5 YPA under Gase. You're comparing apples to oranges. Going all in on Darnold is madness, as is trading a second for him.

Fair point on the stats. I still like Darnold. I've watched him for 3 years because it's the local game along with alot of close friends as Jets fans. They pound the table for Darnold and think he's had the worst circumstances in the league in that 3 year window. I tend to agree. He's made throws that the only other person I've seen make is Patrick Mahomes. He's def been inconsistent, but he's a gamer that will thrive given the right circumstances. He will also likely garner a 2nd round pick from someone if the Saleh/Douglas decide to move on; if they decide to keep him it shows what a true talent he is. 

16 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I was trying to share information for the people who do not have the Athletic subscription. Didn't think I was the only one with one?

The purpose of her article was to outline the 3 options for Goff ( Competition, Trade, Cut). The competition was most likely, followed by trade, and least likely, cut. She outlined nicely the things Wolford does better in the offense that Goff does not, along with what McVay values in them. As outlined here:

so Wolford’s ability to move around and away from pressure, reset and give those types of plays the time needed to develop added a layer to the offense that McVay appreciated. Against the Cardinals, whose defensive game plan dared Wolford to throw in its effort to contain the Rams’ run game, McVay liked how his entire offense and the quarterback weren’t dependent on successfully running the ball.

She also outlined nicely how the communication surrounding trading Goff didn't necessarily hurt his value, it just let other teamsk now the Rams are open for business on discussing trades.

Cutting Goff is not a realistic option to anyone. What was your take?

My biggest issue is McVay admitting the OL pass protected like the 2019 unit. If he knows that, he better have some plan to upgrade the OL. I don't think we need a lot to upgrade it, but we definitely need to upgrade on Blythe.