Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

18 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Watson has a no trade clause so he could say send him to LA or don’t send him no where. It’s like what Harden did in the NBA. He said he wanted to go to Brooklyn.

First things first, this is nothing like the NBA.

Secondly it’s unlikely that he would ever limit himself to one Team when his clear goal is to just get out of Houston. Especially when he has said in the past that he wants to go to NY (in some capacity) and it’s already been floated by people that he’d be open to Miami as well. 

Seems like he’s Ramsey’s boy and all, but that’s not going to matter to the Houston Brass, especially if just sitting on him till he changes his mind is an option, which it sounds like they believe it is right now. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

First things first, this is nothing like the NBA.

Secondly it’s unlikely that he would ever limit himself to one Team when his clear goal is to just get out of Houston. Especially when he has said in the past that he wants to go to NY (in some capacity) and it’s already been floated by people that he’d be open to Miami as well. 

Seems like he’s Ramsey’s boy and all, but that’s not going to matter to the Houston Brass, especially if just sitting on him till he changes his mind is an option, which it sounds like they believe it is right now. 

I think the NFL has the makings to become like the NBA when it comes to player empowerment especially at the QB position which is essentially like players in the NBA. If Watson dont want to be with Houston he can and will make it extremely uncomfortable for the team as long as he is on the roster just like Harden did for Houston. Plus Ive always said I could care less about the cap. If a team want to make a move to sign or trade for a player they can make it happen. 

I hear all the reports of teams that are being floated around but we know the Rams never been that team that has noise when it comes to a potential trade. Wasnt the case when they traded up to 1st overall for Goff. Wasnt the case when they traded for Watkins. Wasnt the case when they traded for Cooks. Wasnt the case when the traded for Ramsey. Everyone essentially found out either right before it happened or when it happened. Not saying the Rams will trade for Watson but if they do its not going to be a situation where the Rams are reportedly one of those teams that the media is discussing for days and weeks. Its going to be nobody is talking about until it happens then everyone will either be stunned or pretend they saw it coming due to the Ramsey talk and the GM and coach talk about the Goff situation.

As for Ramsey, he definitely can influence Watson to come on board. It takes two to tangle though. So he can be telling Watson to come to LA but if the Rams dont want to do all they can to get him its not going to matter. Houston has no position because if they keep Watson he is going to sabotage them. They cant trade him anywhere unless he agrees because he has a no trade clause. I can see a scenario that behind the scenes the Rams business is yes we want Watson but we dont want the business to be public so all parties are quiet on it. So yes if it happens I dont expect noise to be around the Rams. I will continue to hear the Jets, Miami, and others. If the Rams want to trade for Houston they will be working quietly behind the scenes though while putting out their that Goff and Wolford will be competing for the starting job next season. That just me. 

20 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I think the NFL has the makings to become like the NBA when it comes to player empowerment especially at the QB position which is essentially like players in the NBA. If Watson dont want to be with Houston he can and will make it extremely uncomfortable for the team as long as he is on the roster just like Harden did for Houston. Plus Ive always said I could care less about the cap. If a team want to make a move to sign or trade for a player they can make it happen.

It’s just not the same. The Owners in the NBA put themselves in the situation they are in when it comes to player empowerment and the NFL just isn’t set up the same way. You can win in the league without one of the best QBs, sure it’s harder, but as long as you have a capable one you can still win. It’s not like needing atleast 2 of the top 20 guys in the NBA to compete. 

Also they don’t have the same short term large deals like the NBA, the best players know how short a career can be in the NFL and it’s about locking up as much long term guaranteed money. And even beyond that, the team controls you for longer than your contract via the Franchise tag. So they can literally sit on you, while fining you and recollecting signing bonus money. 

And even the biggest faces aren’t as marketable in the NFL as they are in the NBA. If a Basketball player got into a bad situation they could conceivably sit on their shoe contract for years. You can’t do that in the NFL. So as much as you want to compare the two, they just aren’t the same. 

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

The veteran FAs that are playing on minimum level deals aren't going to do much for the team though. I love Watson but the idea that we'd trade 3 firsts, a 2nd, and 2 3rds and have to throw in a top 20-30 WR is insane to me. Me personally, I'd rather use those picks to go get a guy in a draft who is cost controlled for 4 years and better the rest of the roster. 

You love Jefferson but McVay clearly doesn't. Maybe he will be ready next year to step up but I'm concerned that McVay didn't trust him over Reynolds. I'd like him to slide into a WR3 role but WR2 is a 100% snap guy. 

What gives you the impression that "McVay clearly doesn't love Jefferson"? I'm not sure I saw any quotations so please add if you can. From a play standpoint, he was given 4th WR's snaps/targets as expected and stepped up nicely in games that Kupp couldn't play.

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

We don’t have to outbid anyone. If Watson wants to go to the Rams because maybe Ramsey talked him into thinking it’s the place he needs to be with the best defense and a great offense with just the QB to put the team to Superbowl favorites then Watson is going to want to be in LA.

There's no way that Watson would limit himself to Rams or sit out the year. If the Texans don't accept our offer, he'll have to come to terms with another team. He doesn't have all of the control here everyone thinks he does.

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

What gives you the impression that "McVay clearly doesn't love Jefferson"? I'm not sure I saw any quotations so please add if you can. From a play standpoint, he was given 4th WR's snaps/targets as expected and stepped up nicely in games that Kupp couldn't play.

Mainly because I don't think Reynolds is very good and he didn't beat him out for snaps. I'm not saying he doesn't have hope for the future but I'd venture to guess a WR2 role is too early next year in McVay's eyes. 

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

Mainly because I don't think Reynolds is very good and he didn't beat him out for snaps. I'm not saying he doesn't have hope for the future but I'd venture to guess a WR2 role is too early next year in McVay's eyes. 

Oh my bad, I thought this was something actually said that I missed. This is just your take.

Yeah, no Van Jefferson is good enough to be a #2 WR in this league. We generally draft a player a year ahead of when we need him. Reynolds was going to be the WR3 most of this season for 1. to build his trade value before the deadline and 2. if he gets paid in FA, we get a comp pick. Jefferson got a year to learn and still get WR4 snaps. All is well on that front. 

6 minutes ago, JonStark said:

There's no way that Watson would limit himself to Rams or sit out the year. If the Texans don't accept our offer, he'll have to come to terms with another team. He doesn't have all of the control here everyone thinks he does.

This is accurate. He can put the Rams on his shortlist, but there will likely be 3-5 teams on that list. Hopefully MIA and NYJ aren't on it or else we have no chance in hell. Depends how hard Watson wants to dig in and idk if he does. Luckily, he has an agent that just went through something similar in Jalen Ramsey that forced his way out of Jax. Big difference being that Ramsey was still on his rookie deal at the time so Jax had less leverage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Oh my bad, I thought this was something actually said that I missed. This is just your take.

Yeah, no Van Jefferson is good enough to be a #2 WR in this league. We generally draft a player a year ahead of when we need him. Reynolds was going to be the WR3 most of this season for 1. to build his trade value before the deadline and 2. if he gets paid in FA, we get a comp pick. Jefferson got a year to learn and still get WR4 snaps. All is well on that front. 

That might be true but Cam Akers and Kupp were major factors offensively as rookies. I'm definitely concerned that he couldn't push Reynolds more. 

You are correct about the year ahead of time but that's not necessarily been a strategy that's been great for us. We did it with Noteboom and Brian Allen and it was a disaster. I am hopeful Jefferson is a productive player but we saw nothing from him as a rookie that let's me believe next year he could provide 75% of the consistency that we got game to game from Woods and Kupp. 

Edited by LeotheLion

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

That might be true but Cam Akers and Kupp were major factors offensively as rookies. I'm definitely concerned that he couldn't push Reynolds more. 

You are correct about the year ahead of time but that's not necessarily been a strategy that's been great for us. We did it with Noteboom and Brian Allen and it was a disaster. I am hopeful Jefferson is a productive player but we saw nothing from him as a rookie that let's me believe next year he could provide 75% of the consistency that we got game to game from Woods and Kupp. 

Before the season started a few Rams fans were positive that Jefferson would beat out Reynolds and we’d be free to move on from him this off season, but I didn’t share that point of view. Reynolds definitely showed more than Jefferson in 2020, and sadly that’s not saying a whole lot; outside of Kupp ( when he’s healthy ) and Woods, none of the other WRs showed anything worth break dancing over, and don’t get me started on those tired TEs. Higbee didn’t improve like I thought he would, and Everett has been a disaster since 2018. 

There was an article a few days ago about us trading for Stafford where David Carr said a trade for him would be Goff, and a second, and third round pick.

That seems fair but we wouldn't be big players in the draft though. I think we'd still have two third round compensatory picks though. One for Holmes, and one for Fowler. 

57 minutes ago, RamRod said:

There was an article a few days ago about us trading for Stafford where David Carr said a trade for him would be Goff, and a second, and third round pick.

That seems fair but we wouldn't be big players in the draft though. I think we'd still have two third round compensatory picks though. One for Holmes, and one for Fowler. 

Awesome. Trade all of our top 100 picks for a lateral move. Would have to give Holmes credit for robbing us on that deal.

1 hour ago, RamRod said:

I'd try Goff + 3rd. If they weren't interested in Goff, I'd love to see if we could do the ever impossible 3 team trade.

Rams Get: Stafford

Lions Get: 2nd round from Rams, 2nd from Patriots

Patriots Get: Goff

Edited by BStanRamFan