Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

1 hour ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Because fans are obsessed with super mobile QBs. Yes it adds another dimension to your offense, but it increases the chances of your guy getting hurt; ask Wolford....you don’t need a ton of mobility to be successful....I’ve seen QBs with next to no mobility at all and they’ve won titles with the proper coaching and supporting cast.

People only see mobility in Wolford but Mcvay has insisted numerous times on his ability to scan and see the field and that's the main difference right now between him and Goff. 

2 minutes ago, Flounch said:

People only see mobility in Wolford but Mcvay has insisted numerous times on his ability to scan and see the field and that's the main difference right now between him and Goff. 

He can scan all he wants, but if he can’t complete the throws then what’s the point?

Not to mention I don’t agree with this assessment. Regardless when you’re missing obvious TD throws, you’re hurting the team more than a few 8 yard scrambles helps

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flounch said:

How come he didn’t manage to scan the end zone for some points? Goff found the end zone 3 times his first ever game in the pros, and that was playing under a Jeff Fisher offense and less weapons..

Edited by NYRamsFan88
  • Like 1

Pushing water up a hill with some of you guys. Rams Twitter is eating this up and the majority of posters on this board meet any discussion of trading Goff(excluding Watson) or liking Wolford with so much disdain. I enjoy being on the side of McVay/Snead on this one. I think they want to do what's best for the team and have a better understanding of Jared Goff/John Wolford's capabilities within this offense than anyone here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Pushing water up a hill with some of you guys. Rams Twitter is eating this up and the majority of posters on this board meet any discussion of trading Goff(excluding Watson) or liking Wolford with so much disdain. I enjoy being on the side of McVay/Snead on this one. I think they want to do what's best for the team and have a better understanding of Jared Goff/John Wolford's capabilities within this offense than anyone here. 

McVay and Snead literally extended him. No one held a gun to their heads and told them to do it. They will have egg on their faces if they sell Goff for 50 cents on the dollar.

I don't have a problem with liking Wolford. I do too. It is the people that think he's a better option than Goff that I don't really have the time for. It's all meant with qualifiers for why we only scored 9 points and why we shouldn't hold his pick against him. I think he is a fine backup. If he started 16 games for us the ceiling of the team is much lower than the ceiling with Goff.

I do question McVay/Snead if they think trading a premium pick and Goff for Stafford is enough to put the Rams over the edge. I've watched quite a bit of Stafford and I just don't see it with him. Plus what he truly excels at is the deep passing game which we don't really have. If it was up to me, the only options for moving on from Goff are 1) Watson or 2) wait till the 2022 draft. Nothing else makes much sense and ends up getting rid of Goff just for the sake of moving on.

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

You're mistaking disdain for being realistic. Any poster here that is pro-Goff has given you countless reasons and evidence of why they feel that way, while the other side (including Twitter) is "I think Mcvay feels this way" or "I think Goff is only going downhill from here" and then uses stats that only fit the narrative (like having the most TO without mentioning that those occurred in more games played). 

There are two sides. One side believes Goff is the problem, Mcvay can do no wrong, and we'll be in the Superbowl next year with an upgrade at QB. The other side thinks Goff's play is a problem along with many other issues that directly affect his performance. It's not hard to see which the more objective side is. 

25 minutes ago, JonStark said:

You're mistaking disdain for being realistic. Any poster here that is pro-Goff has given you countless reasons and evidence of why they feel that way, while the other side (including Twitter) is "I think Mcvay feels this way" or "I think Goff is only going downhill from here" and then uses stats that only fit the narrative (like having the most TO without mentioning that those occurred in more games played). 

There are two sides. One side believes Goff is the problem, Mcvay can do no wrong, and we'll be in the Superbowl next year with an upgrade at QB. The other side thinks Goff's play is a problem along with many other issues that directly affect his performance. It's not hard to see which the more objective side is. 

I don't have to "think" Goff has regressed. It's a fact. Over the last 2 seasons, he has regressed. Then the Goff supporters hit us with qualifiers, "No deep threat" (OK I agree)". "Poor O-line play" despite nearly every site ranking our O-line middle of the pack, 3 RB's with 4 YPC, "Poor play calling" despite McVay being one of the best young minds in the league and him being verbally and visibly frustrated with Goff this season. He has to call plays based on Goff's limitations and he's tired of it. Evidence in the article I posted yesterday, but again, ignored.

We bring up the reports from Wyche, Rapaport, and Schrager, but it's dismissed as if we're quoting TMZ. We bring up the exact quotes from McVay's post game presser, the exact quotes from Sneads presser the other day, and again, completely dismissed. McVay and Snead are off of Jared Goff. There is no way around it. It's a matter of finding the best possible solution of how to deal with him. The sooner people come to grips with that, the more valuable discussion we can have by focusing on ways to improve the team with Goff out of the picture AND improving the rest of the roster. Given the cap implications of moving on from Goff, that is the more valuable use of time. But by all means, please keep telling me how when the clock the strikes midnight on October 13th 2021, Jared Goff will magically turn into Peyton Manning because he will have entered his "window". 

10 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

McVay and Snead literally extended him. No one held a gun to their heads and told them to do it. They will have egg on their faces if they sell Goff for 50 cents on the dollar.

Wouldn't be the first time. 

I don't have a problem with liking Wolford. I do too. It is the people that think he's a better option than Goff that I don't really have the time for. It's all meant with qualifiers for why we only scored 9 points and why we shouldn't hold his pick against him. I think he is a fine backup. If he started 16 games for us the ceiling of the team is much lower than the ceiling with Goff.

It's not a matter of being better than Goff. It's a matter of being better than Goff within this offense. And that is what McVay believes. And that is all that matters.

I do question McVay/Snead if they think trading a premium pick and Goff for Stafford is enough to put the Rams over the edge. I've watched quite a bit of Stafford and I just don't see it with him. Plus what he truly excels at is the deep passing game which we don't really have. If it was up to me, the only options for moving on from Goff are 1) Watson or 2) wait till the 2022 draft. Nothing else makes much sense and ends up getting rid of Goff just for the sake of moving on.

The more I read on Stafford, the more likely he is out of our price range unless Holmes really wants to bring in Goff.  So I wouldn't sweat the Stafford stuff.

Go tell Aaron Donald and Jalem Ramsey that we're waiting another year to figure out the QB situation. Let me know how that turns out.👌

33 minutes ago, JonStark said:

There are two sides. One side believes Goff is the problem, Mcvay can do no wrong, and we'll be in the Superbowl next year with an upgrade at QB

And apparently for a good chunk of that side, not even an upgrade, just any other QB not named Goff would do, as they are seriously offering up John Wolford as a solution. 

If there was an attitude/respect problem here, or off the field issues, or he was just blatantly not running plays that were called or something, then sure we could talk about that scenario. But it’s just a guy who has made some bonehead turnovers, usually in efforts to make a play happen. Who slid short once (and actually followed up his next chance by getting the first down on a scramble, but that gets ignored), but doesn’t have the skill set to call designed runs for, and that’s held against him?

Yea it’s always exciting if you can get linked to a Top 5 player at any position, but when it’s likelihood is very low, and it would cause major issues with the rest of the Cap/Roster some of us would rather figure out a realistic path forward with this team, under a very talented QB that we already have. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Go tell Aaron Donald and Jalem Ramsey that we're waiting another year to figure out the QB situation. Let me know how that turns out.👌

Frankly, I would tell them if they wanted to win this year then they shouldn't have gotten carved up by Green Bay. If you swap Goff with another QB that has to score at that efficiency in Green Bay without Kupp we are almost certainly still losing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

We bring up the reports from Wyche, Rapaport, and Schrager, but it's dismissed as if we're quoting TMZ. We bring up the exact quotes from McVay's post game presser, the exact quotes from Sneads presser the other day, and again, completely dismissed. McVay and Snead are off of Jared Goff.

Yes, the TMZ analogy was mine, and I still stand by it because it was from an “unnamed source close to the situation” and used the term marriage counseling. But now you are trying to apply that to all of the quotes posted in here to make you feel better. Not what happened

And once again, you may be using “exact quotes” from McVay and Snead, but you are only using partial information, leaving out that all of those reports clearly state “after being repeatedly pushed on the topic” and that Snead in particular was addressing a hypothetical. Find a new slant

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

And apparently for a good chunk of that side, not even an upgrade, just any other QB not named Goff would do, as they are seriously offering up John Wolford as a solution.

We're not. Reports from Rapaport are. Presumably from sources in Rams camp. If McVay thinks its a good idea, then I do.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

If there was an attitude/respect problem here, or off the field issues, or he was just blatantly not running plays that were called or something, then sure we could talk about that scenario. But it’s just a guy who has made some bonehead turnovers, usually in efforts to make a play happen. 

Very nice way of saying "The most in the league since 2018". And hell is just a sauna.

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Who slid short once (and actually followed up his next chance by getting the first down on a scramble, but that gets ignored), but doesn’t have the skill set to call designed runs for, and that’s held against him?

Yes. Because that is what McVay wants from a QB in his offense. 

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea it’s always exciting if you can get linked to a Top 5 player at any position, but when it’s likelihood is very low, and it would cause major issues with the rest of the Cap/Roster some of us would rather figure out a realistic path forward with this team, under a very talented QB that we already have. 

We've made the most aggressive trades in the NFL over the last 4 years and for very high name players. It is not unrealistic for this specific team to make aggressive trades. You being "realistic" might apply to the other 31 franchises, but if Snead wants someone, he will go get them regardless of cap implications, draft picks, or cutting bait on a new contract early, as we've seen. 

Just now, LeotheLion said:

Frankly, I would tell them if they wanted to win this year then they shouldn't have gotten carved up by Green Bay. If you swap Goff with another QB that has to score at that efficiency in Green Bay without Kupp we are almost certainly still losing.

Donald played with no cartilage on his ribs and 40lb flack jacket. I hope he would hulk smash you for that statement. Ramsey held Adams under 50 yards when matched up. His TD was a coverage lapse. 

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I don't have to "think" Goff has regressed. It's a fact. Over the last 2 seasons, he has regressed. Then the Goff supporters hit us with qualifiers, "No deep threat" (OK I agree)". "Poor O-line play" despite nearly every site ranking our O-line middle of the pack, 3 RB's with 4 YPC, "Poor play calling" despite McVay being one of the best young minds in the league and him being verbally and visibly frustrated with Goff this season. He has to call plays based on Goff's limitations and he's tired of it. Evidence in the article I posted yesterday, but again, ignored.

We bring up the reports from Wyche, Rapaport, and Schrager, but it's dismissed as if we're quoting TMZ. We bring up the exact quotes from McVay's post game presser, the exact quotes from Sneads presser the other day, and again, completely dismissed. McVay and Snead are off of Jared Goff. There is no way around it. It's a matter of finding the best possible solution of how to deal with him. The sooner people come to grips with that, the more valuable discussion we can have by focusing on ways to improve the team with Goff out of the picture AND improving the rest of the roster. Given the cap implications of moving on from Goff, that is the more valuable use of time. But by all means, please keep telling me how when the clock the strikes midnight on October 13th 2021, Jared Goff will magically turn into Peyton Manning because he will have entered his "window". 

I never said he will turn into Peyton Manning (there you go putting words in others' mouths again) but we have evidence of it happening where as you are dismissing it as not even having a remote possibility. Hell, jrry posted a list of like 10 recent QBs who's passer rating increased dramatically after age 26 and it just gets tossed to the side because it doesn't fit the lazy argument of "Goff = bad". You say things like Mcvay and Snead are off of Goff. Did they tell you that, or is that just what you think? Stop totting your opinion as facts. There could be a few reasons they chose to speak like that but I still can't believe that people think they are dumb enough to downtalk someone they are actively trying to move. 

Also didn't we already disprove the fact that the offense is limited by Goff with the fact that Mcvay didn't change much when Wolford was in? 

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Donald played with no cartilage on his ribs and 40lb flack jacket. I hope he would hulk smash you for that statement. Ramsey held Adams under 50 yards when matched up. His TD was a coverage lapse. 

My point wasn't a knock on Ramsey or Donald. It's a point that winning in the playoffs is tough. The implication of not moving on from Goff is he held the team back when ultimately the defense is why we got bounced. It's a team game. Putting 100% of the blame on anyone for not winning the SB is insane. 

People blame Goff for this season and blame Goff for the SB loss to the Pats. Even though the Pats loss he was great in the regular season and put up a stinker in the playoffs. This year had a stinker of a regular season and good playoff performance. Can't have it both ways when the defense was also flipped. 

• Like 1