Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

You're not alone.  i just think that there's some irresponsible speculative journalism going on from the likes of Steve Mason that are just trying to milk blind hope for clicks - because they don't have to do the math or present the math, largely because a lot of people reading don't care to do the math or hear about the math themselves.  I think they're kind of preying off a lot of LA fans thinking the NFL salary cap is similar to the NBA's soft cap where the owner can just pay his way out.

What about when the GM says it and not journalists?

Those numbers for 15-18QB play isn't that outrageous. A new team would be stuck with him for 2021 and possibly 2022.

9 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

What about when the GM says it and not journalists?

Those numbers for 15-18QB play isn't that outrageous. A new team would be stuck with him for 2021 and possibly 2022.

Ok but if we trade him, what is the implication for our salary cap ? 

"Not going to get into specifics on those. That’s the beautiful mystery of the future,” Snead said in an apparent reference to Aaron Rodgers, via Greg Beacham of the Associated Press. “Jared Goff is a Ram at this moment. It’s way too early to speculate"

Aaron Rodgers rumors heating up on social media. I'm sending out the vibes now! this would be a dream come true. Lol

Edited by RamPackFan

5 minutes ago, Flounch said:

2021: Pre June 1st 22Mil in Dead cap. 12.75M in cap savings. Post June 1st: 6.8Mil dead cap 28.15M cap savings.

2022:Pre June 1st 15.4Mil Dead cap. 17.5M savings. Post June 1st: 6.8Mil dead cap 26.15M cap savings.

2023: Pre Jun 1st 8.6M Dea cap. 23.85M savings. Post June 1st 6.8Mil dead cap 25.65M cap savings.

According to Overthecap.com 

8 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

"Not going to get into specifics on those. That’s the beautiful mystery of the future,” Snead said in an apparent reference to Aaron Rodgers, via Greg Beacham of the Associated Press. “Jared Goff is a Ram at this moment. It’s way too early to speculate"

Aaron Rodgers rumors heating up on social media. I'm sending out the vibes now! this would be a dream come true. Lol

Lol as insane and fun as that is, I think it’s safe to say Rodgers is staying right where he is after listening to him on the Pat McAfee show. I thought for sure he’d be a Niner if he goes anywhere so I actually hope he stays put.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flounch said:

I’d gladly break this down for you. Just a few things to remember, Goff’s 2021 salary ($25.3m) his 2021 roster bonus ($2.5m) and his 2022 roster bonus ($15.5m) all became fully guaranteed before this past season began

As we sit here today, Goff’s Cap hit to the Rams is $34.6m for 2021.

If we were to cut him tomorrow, it would accelerate to a cap hit of $65.5m (if we were to designate him a Post 6/1 Cut, it would still be a $50.1m Cao hit in 2021, and $15.4m in 2022)

If we were able to trade him, it would be a $22.2m cap hit (plus whatever the cost for another team to take him) for 2021, as well as a $12.4m cap hit in 2022

So in short, yes it can be done, but we would then we would still have to pay money to the player that is replacing him. And no one likes to remember that half of the equation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Those numbers are only if he is traded, and a “Post June 1st” trade is very unlikely for any Starting QB in this league unless its a backup moving for an injury replacement (ala Bradford for Bridgewater)

Yeah I'm not entertaining the idea of cutting him. Even I think that would be moronic lol Post June 1st aint happening, but figured I'd offer it up.

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Just say "Goff is our guy going forward". It's really that simple. 

But its not when they started the offseason saying everyone is competing for their job now.

Not to mention if they truly think there is even a 1% shot that they could pull off a Watson trade, you don’t commit to anything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

But its not when they started the offseason saying everyone is competing for their job now.

Not to mention if they truly think there is even a 1% shot that they could pull off a Watson trade, you don’t commit to anything. 

It's literally the first year of his new contract and you can't commit to him verbally. And even if they did, it's front office speak. You say ish anyway. If Snead is talking to Watson's agent, he knows what the deal is. 

5 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Lol as insane and fun as that is, I think it’s safe to say Rodgers is staying right where he is after listening to him on the Pat McAfee show. I thought for sure he’d be a Niner if he goes anywhere so I actually hope he stays put.

Not really directed at you, but you brought up Rodgers here, and I just wanted to point out how in like less than 48 hours the Rodgers stuff went from “he’s played his last game in GB” to “he wants a new contract extension” Complete opposite ends of the spectrum

Its the NFL offseason starting already because there is no Super Bowl week for them to write about, and theres like 1 storyline to write in this SB that they have already driven into the ground and were still 12 days away from the game.

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

It's literally the first year of his new contract and you can't commit to him verbally. And even if they did, it's front office speak. You say ish anyway. If Snead is talking to Watson's agent, he knows what the deal is. 

I don’t know why everyone needs them to say “He’s our guy” or whatever it is you’re looking for. I thought we all agreed he needs some competition? So saying he’s a Ram right now, and talking about all the money invested, and only talking about “things can be done for the cap” when pressed over and over about it is some indictment?

Every coach/GM who has gone out there and said “he’s our guy” about anyone other than a sure fire HOF, looks stupid. Weather its the next year or shorter or longer, it always bites them.

Once again, you can read into these comments literally any way that you want to. To me this is the same as they have always been. Les has never been the type of guy to pound the table about anyone. Not even when the “Hold out” for Donald was happening, or the Contract stuff with Ramsey. He’s a calm guy who will give you answers to what you’ve asked when he wants tp share it, but mostly deflect into hypotheticals that mean nothing.

• Like 1