Goff’s future with the Rams

RamRod

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

There are ALOT of NFL GM's that would disagree with you on that statement. Teams will likely give a 1st round pick for Stafford( according to Rapaport). No one would give a 1st for Goff. 

I'd bet against that. A team traded a first for Bradford. A team traded two first for Cutler. A team traded a first and a second for a retired Carson Palmer. A team traded the #34 pick and a future second for Alex Smith. 

Regardless, I don't really care about conclusory and speculative statements about what NFL GMs would or wouldn't do. I'll take my chances with Goff going forward. He at least still has potential. Stafford is in the twilight of his career and still has never become a top 10 QB. He's a middle of the pack guy who doesn't deliver when it matters. 

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Regardless, I don't really care about conclusory and speculative statements about what NFL GMs would or wouldn't do. I'll take my chances with Goff going forward. He at least still has potential. Stafford is in the twilight of his career and still has never become a top 10 QB. He's a middle of the pack guy who doesn't deliver when it matters. 

Stafford is 32. He likely has another 5-6 years left. We are seeing QB's play well into their late 30s as 1. modern medicine improves 2. an inability to touch the QB.

Goff is a middle of the pack guy on an excellent roster with an excellent coach. Stafford is a middle of the pack guy in one of the worst run franchises in the NFL. I'll take my chances on Stafford performing better with better circumstances; atleast he doesnt lead the league in turnovers since 2018 🤷‍♂️

sure no new infos from ian rap. but its ian who now start to report about a possible trade about goff too.
thats news. he is one of the top 5. no mason, florio, lanconfera bs.

if guys like schefter, glazer, mortensen, silver or ian talk about that, it's something.

glazer said yesterday it will be a busy off season for qbs, schefter said the same ting, he thinks over 18 teams will have new qbs:
try to find 19 teams without rams and packers.
glazer also said that he thinks that wrentz and dak will stay in philadelphia and dallas, but that could be teams with new qbs nobody thought of.

58 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Y'all really are willing to get fleeced by the Lions because you're that frustrated with Goff? C'mon. I wouldn't trade Goff for Stafford straight up.

He coming to SF anyway. 

I don't know if Stafford is good, but I'm willing to put a lot of faith in that Shanny offense with him. 

55 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I think after seeing McVay's responses and excitement to Wolford we shouldn't be too sure who can push Goff in camp.

There are ALOT of NFL GM's that would disagree with you on that statement. Teams will likely give a 1st round pick for Stafford( according to Rapaport). No one would give a 1st for Goff. 

Haha ok you got it Wolford is better than Goff. Wonder if he’ll ever learn to slide.

Just now, NVRamsFan said:

Wolford excites McVay so he’s pushing Goff was your implication.

Yes. It was clear. Goff is certainly more talented than Wolford. But McVay liked his mobility and ability to give the offense a different look heading into a must-win division game, limit turnovers, etc. You just need Goff to feel like his job is in jeopardy. He was relegated to being a back-up in the playoffs and if Wolford was healthy, he would of started vs GB ( as per Peter Schrager this morning). So that in itself is "pushing" Goff. 

44 minutes ago, Forge said:

He coming to SF anyway. 

I don't know if Stafford is good, but I'm willing to put a lot of faith in that Shanny offense with him. 

That's what I expect, if you read my mock lol. Y'all have the best reason and the best draft capital of the teams interested. I fully expect Stafford to be a 49er. And Shanny will get everything out of him. But I see an average to above average QB who has some durability concerns.

Over the past four years, Goff has given us generally average play (but with more volatility). Difference is that Goff is still young for a pocket passer. I'd rather see what he can do in his prime years than trade for a guy who isn't a game-changer for us.

But again, Stafford is a good bit better than Jimmy and much more durable, so the move makes sense for y'all. 

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Stafford is 32. He likely has another 5-6 years left. We are seeing QB's play well into their late 30s as 1. modern medicine improves 2. an inability to touch the QB.

Goff is a middle of the pack guy on an excellent roster with an excellent coach. Stafford is a middle of the pack guy in one of the worst run franchises in the NFL. I'll take my chances on Stafford performing better with better circumstances; atleast he doesnt lead the league in turnovers since 2018 🤷‍♂️

Stafford missed half of last season with a severe back injury. He dealt with some injuries this year. He has been playing in the NFL since he was 21 years old. I don't think it's a safe assumption that he'll play for another five or six years.

As for the Lions, you can criticize the franchise, but Stafford is a middle of the pack guy. He hasn't lacked weapons or talent around him during his time there. About the only thing you can say he has lacked is a running game. But a big part of that is because the Lions have put a lot of resources into ensuring Stafford has talented weapons and an OL in front of him. He has had three different first round TEs during his time there (Pettigrew, Ebron, and Hockenson), he had Megatron, he has had other WR options like Golden Tate, Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, Danny Amendola, Nate Burleson, Anquan Boldin, etc., and he has had quite few good OLs in front of him (Taylor Decker, Riley Reiff, Larry Warford, Frank Ragnow, Graham Glasgow, Ricky Wagner, Rob Sims, Jeff Backus, Dominic Raiola, etc.).

Simply put, Stafford is a middle of the pack guy. If you put him on a great offense, he won't drag the team down. But he doesn't elevate the players around him like top QBs do. Goff is still young. He has potential. We'd be fools to trade a young middle of the pack QB and draft picks for an old middle of the pack QB. As for the turnover dig, Stafford has never won a playoff game in a career that has spanned well over a decade. I'm not excited about middle of the pack QBs who shrink in the biggest moments. I'm not trading Goff for a guy who doesn't move the needle.

38 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Yes. It was clear. Goff is certainly more talented than Wolford. But McVay liked his mobility and ability to give the offense a different look heading into a must-win division game, limit turnovers, etc. You just need Goff to feel like his job is in jeopardy. He was relegated to being a back-up in the playoffs and if Wolford was healthy, he would of started vs GB ( as per Peter Schrager this morning). So that in itself is "pushing" Goff. 

Here comes the media with their insane takes. God help us if that's true. Because I would strongly distrust McVay's judgment if he had done that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Here comes the media with their insane takes. God help us if that's true. Because I would strongly distrust McVay's judgment if he had done that.

Schrager is actually a personal friend of McVay and has been reliable on Rams content thus far. McVay really likes Wolford; it's just that simple.  We can say "Why? That makes no sense, etc". But I'm not about to question McVay's judgement. He's earned the benefit of the doubt in my eyes.

9 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Schrager is actually a personal friend of McVay and has been reliable on Rams content thus far. McVay really likes Wolford; it's just that simple.  We can say "Why? That makes no sense, etc". But I'm not about to question McVay's judgement. He's earned the benefit of the doubt in my eyes.

If it's true, that would lose him the benefit of the doubt with me.

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Simply put, Stafford is a middle of the pack guy. If you put him on a great offense, he won't drag the team down. But he doesn't elevate the players around him like top QBs do. Goff is still young. He has potential. We'd be fools to trade a young middle of the pack QB and draft picks for an old middle of the pack QB. As for the turnover dig, Stafford has never won a playoff game in a career that has spanned well over a decade. I'm not excited about middle of the pack QBs who shrink in the biggest moments. I'm not trading Goff for a guy who doesn't move the needle.

If he plays at the same level of Goff, but turns the ball over less it is worth it IMO. Goff's turnovers are his biggest detractor and the reason I'm willing to move on from him so heavily. We're getting back the same production, but without worrying about the turnover piece. 

As far as durability, he's started 16 games in 9 of 12 potential seasons. That's very good.

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

If he plays at the same level of Goff, but turns the ball over less it is worth it IMO. Goff's turnovers are his biggest detractor and the reason I'm willing to move on from him so heavily. We're getting back the same production, but without worrying about the turnover piece. 

As far as durability, he's started 16 games in 9 of 12 potential seasons. That's very good.

He missed half of 2019 with a severe back injury and was knocked out of multiple games with hand, ankle, and rib injuries this year. His durability is very much in question considering his age. 

It's not worth it if he plays at the same level as Goff with less turnovers. Because Goff could progress in the future. He hasn't hit his prime yet. And if he doesn't, I'd rather take the Andy Reid route and look for a real upgrade, not an old guy who provides the same level of play with a few less turnovers.