NFL announces cancellation of in-person workouts at Combine this year

pwny

Teams who went analytics heavy in their scouting departments will suffer from this decision. Teams who have a more traditional approach will probably still be ok. 

I liked how when you google a guys hand size you can find it down to the hundredth of an inch lol Hopefully they still do all of that kind of stuff

Also, I know the medical checkups are huge but have largely been ignored by some teams like my own, so I really wonder how much that will change the shape of this draft, and ultimately the course of nfl history... 

• Like 1

Shame.  And kind of unnecessary tbh.  They could have had prospects fly in a week earlier to quarantine, and then get swabbed before the workouts.  Scouts can easily social distance 6 feet apart, since the stadium is huge and empty. 

I also think this will hurt guys that sat out the 2020 season due to COVID.  The strong combine would have been a good opportunity to sort of put themselves back on the map. 

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, N4L said:

I liked how when you google a guys hand size you can find it down to the hundredth of an inch lol Hopefully they still do all of that kind of stuff

the beauty of the combine is that all of those measurements/tests were administered in a consistent fashion by guys trained for taking the measurements in Indy. In some cases you had the same coaches running the same tests/measurements for a decade. Now, the variability means its tough to trust the numbers.

On the plus side, many of the scouts are fine with a player so long as he's in the accepted range. It didn't matter if he ran a 4.43 vs a 4.49 so long as it was within their guidelines, he gets the OK to be on the board.