Martin Mayhew hired to be WFT GM, not sure of Marty Hurney’s role yet

turtle28

Also, a thought occurred to me........first, I think it would be career suicide for Kyle Smith to jump off right now, even if he was severely disrespected.  It's a pandemic year, there won't be a combine and teams are knee-deep in draft preparation.  But for argument's sake, let's say he departs in May following the draft, and Marty Hurney takes over his responsibilities, or we make a similar hire to Hurney/Mayhew- a guy later in life, who has a below-average record as GM, with some connection to Rivera.  

I don't see how I could continue to defend anything put out there at that point, even if I was one of those people defending the hires now.  

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ok, that's not what I was talking about, but let's look at what you're talking about.  

The 4 most important people on the coaching staff are Rivera, OC Scott Turner, DC Jack Del Rio, & ST Nate Kaczor.  

Turner spent 2018 & 2019 with Rivera on the Panthers, but was only OC for a portion of 2019.  

To my knowledge, Jack Del Rio has never coached with Rivera prior to WFT.

Kaczor was a holdover from the Gruden regime and has never coached with Rivera before.  

I'll give Rivera credit on the Del Rio hire.  I even came around to the Turner hire last off-season.  Kaczor is connected to Del Rio.  But I'm talking the entire coach's room, as well as the front office.  Having the lion's share of brainpower related to Rivera in some way is not a smart decision in how to build an organization.  

So it looks like the FO structure will be this, but this is just me reading the tea leaves not from a defined source:

Rivera has final say over everything.

Mayhew will helm the pro scouting and free agency.  I would imagine as GM he will have some input on the draft too.  Eric Stokes will work under him. Also they will probably manage the cap. 

Hurney will be a catch all admin guy that relieves a lot of the day to day admin burden off of Rivera.  I imagine he will also work with Team President Jason Wright on big picture stuff like finding a new stadium and the new logo/name.  

Kyle Smith will still focus on the draft and manage all of the college scouts.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

So it looks like the FO structure will be this, but this is just me reading the tea leaves not from a defined source:

Mayhew will helm the pro scouting and free agency.  I would imagine as GM he will have some input on the draft too.  Eric Stokes will work under him. Also they will probably manage the cap. 

Hurney will be a catch all admin guy that relieves a lot of the day to day admin burden off of Rivera.  I imagine he will also work with Team President Jason Wright on big picture stuff like finding a new stadium and the new logo/name.  

Probably right after you posted this I got an alert on what Hurney’s position will be lol 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Also, a thought occurred to me........first, I think it would be career suicide for Kyle Smith to jump off right now, even if he was severely disrespected.  It's a pandemic year, there won't be a combine and teams are knee-deep in draft preparation.  But for argument's sake, let's say he departs in May following the draft, and Marty Hurney takes over his responsibilities, or we make a similar hire to Hurney/Mayhew- a guy later in life, who has a below-average record as GM, with some connection to Rivera.  

I don't see how I could continue to defend anything put out there at that point, even if I was one of those people defending the hires now.  

More so than past years, in the same year there were a good amount of GM job openings. Not one team asked permission to interview Kyle. Don’t know if the rest of the league feels the same way as RR. Confusing why that played out that way. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Yep, that’s what I can gather too and it may or may not work out but this is the best front office structure I’ve seen for this franchise since the 90s when Casserly was our GM.

11 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

More so than past years, in the same year there were a good amount of GM job openings. Not one team asked permission to interview Kyle. Don’t know if the rest of the league feels the same way as RR. Confusing why that played out that way. 

I don’t think Kyle has the experience yet in a lot of people’s eyes in the league. Kyle knows the draft, he’s great at scouting and everything that comes with building a draft board etc. As someone on Twitter pointed out to me he did just get promoted to be the head of that department of the front office last year, so he’s even new in that role, it’s only his 2nd year being a VP of player personnel.

I did just read an article that sources tell Chris Russell that Kyle plans to leave the organization at some point yet to be determined.

That’s really disappointing, I hope going with Mayhew works out for us, I liked what Kyle had done in the draft but he didn’t have much experience in contracts and other areas which I think held him back.