The Hidden Dynasty: 1967-1983 Raiders

SkippyX

I will add data to this one later but here is the short summary.

Bradshaw was 3-2 vs the Raiders in the playoffs with 5 TDs to 9 picks

He was 11-3 with 25 TDs to 15 picks in his other playoff games.

That's something like a 50 rating to 110 rating split (math later)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I wish I knew this team when they were good.

They were AWESOME and followed Al Davis' lead of being rebels. Even fans of other teams had to respect what they built in Oakland, in many cases by taking rejected and unloved players who just needed a fresh start. A real collection of characters and Davis molded them into Champions. Those were amazing times for Raider Nation and that's when the mystique really became a thing.

"The Autumn Wind is a Raider"

• Like 4

We had five HOF on the offensive line in 1971 with Ron Mix being the 5th and a reserve that year, but he started a handful of games. Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, Jim Otto and Bob Brown rounded it out.

Daryl Lamonica, Kenny Stabler and George Blanda all on the team that year. Fred Biletnikoff catching balls from them. Some all time favorite Raiders like Phil Villapiano, George Atkinson, Jack Tatum and Willie Brown on that team's defense. We even had Apollo Creed from the Rocky movies on the roster in Carl Weathers.

In '72 we got Otis Sistrunk the guy from "The University of Mars" who didn't go to college and just walked on.

If you think the Raiders are a hidden Dynasty, you missed the NFL. Raiders are the best franchise with the best players and characters.  Blue collar hit you in the face and drink a (lol singular) beer afterwards. Our old man kicker would come in and play QB and still kick your butt. Best team all time.

Also cutting the Raiders off at '83... Marcus Allen was a rookie in '82 so you are skipping his great years and supplemented that when we got Bo Jackson in 87. Allen left the Raiders in '92.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

They were AWESOME and followed Al Davis' lead of being rebels. Even fans of other teams had to respect what they built in Oakland, in many cases by taking rejected and unloved players who just needed a fresh start. A real collection of characters and Davis molded them into Champions. Those were amazing times for Raider Nation and that's when the mystique really became a thing.

"The Autumn Wind is a Raider"

Al Davis was a real American anti-hero. His appeal and what he stood for extend beyond the world of pro sports.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SkippyX said:

The 1976 Steelers team that they beat to get to that Super Bowl was 2000 Ravens / 1985 Bears / 1991 Eagles good on D.

The Steelers gave up 42 points total in the 10 games before that AFCCG.

The Raiders beat them 24-7

Steelers had no Franco Harris or Rocky Bleier for that game, the entire backfield was injured. Those guys *both* had over 1,000 yds rushing in the regular season, and power rushing made that team go. With no run game to worry about, the Raiders' D destroyed the Steelers' offense (his game was before the Mel Blount Rule).

After all those years of misery, it was the Raiders' turn to shine and they enjoyed a beatdown on their hated Pittsburgh foe along the way to a first Super Bowl win. 

Bet that was some Raiders after-party. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Steelers had no Franco Harris or Rocky Bleier for that game, the entire backfield was injured. Those guys *both* had over 1,000 yds rushing in the regular season, and power rushing made that team go. With no run game to worry about, the Raiders' D destroyed the Steelers' offense (his game was before the Mel Blount Rule).

After all those years of misery, it was the Raiders' turn to shine and they enjoyed a beatdown on their hated Pittsburgh foe along the way to a first Super Bowl win. 

Bet that was some Raiders after-party. 

I still say that 1976 should have been NE's year, especially after how they should have put the Raiders away when they were up 21-10. Then, they probably would have beat the Steelers without Franco and Rocky (they would have had a chance either way), and then they would have crushed the aging Vikes, who probably didn't deserve to be there that year.

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I still think Washington would beat them even though the 49ers were hot. That 1991 Redskins team is in the running for best ever. 

It was a VERY weird year

Those 49ers were good enough to win a Super Bowl (they won at 10-6 in 1988)

The 1991 Eagles had the best DVOA D in the 1983-present era (yes, their offense was a mess without Cunningham)

Those 1991 Redskins were loaded.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

It was actually the right call going according to the rules. Don't even bring that in here. Especially after the Tuck Rule BS.

If this is 1976 Patriots - Raiders drama, I don't think I have ever seen the play.

Is there a video on it?

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I still think Washington would beat them even though the 49ers were hot. That 1991 Redskins team is in the running for best ever. 

That team gets forgotten due to the fact that the 90 and 92 teams were just OK, if that, but holy cow was that 91 team an absolute wrecking crew. 

20 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Wow, what they did to the Bears on MNF to end that season was scary.

The whole NFC was thrilled to not have to face them.

Funny timing, last week I watched that MNF game on youtube. Steve Young WENT OFF vs the playoff-bound Bears with a 52-14 thumping in prime time. That's the same version of Young that met the Chargers in the Super Bowl a few years later, just unstoppable at times. 

Bears' QB Jim Harbaugh looked cerebral in that game; dude should get into coaching. 

Would've been sweeeeet to see 49ers vs Washington in the playoffs that year. Charles Haley might've had something for Mr Rypien. 

Anyway, back to the Raiders. The way they manhandled the supposedly physical Washington o-line Hogs in the Super Bowl was dang impressive. 6 sacks, gave up only 2.8 yds rushing average vs big boy Riggins.