Falcons hire Dean Pees as DC; Dave Ragone as OC

RaidersAreOne

47 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Indeed. He will go as far as the talent on the roster will take him. But aside from that, his schemes in general (lots of soft coverage and uncreative blitzes) are just really frustrating to watch. His entire philosophy is "bend but don't break".

Have you ever seen the Falcons D? Apart from 2016 (mostly because they got to play with a lead) it has been "Break while trying to bend over to pick something up at knee height". I'm not sure about 2016 but I'm fairly sure that since 2012 the team hasn't had a top 10 D.

I'll take Pees over Brian van Gorder, Mike Nolan, Richard Smith and Marquand Manuel.

32 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

Have you ever seen the Falcons D? Apart from 2016 (mostly because they got to play with a lead) it has been "Break while trying to bend over to pick something up at knee height". I'm not sure about 2016 but I'm fairly sure that since 2012 the team hasn't had a top 10 D.

I'll take Pees over Brian van Gorder, Mike Nolan, Richard Smith and Marquand Manuel.

I've seen it. The thing with Pees in Baltimore (and apparently this was NOT the case in Tennessee, so take that for what you will), is when he was here he solely relied on having an absolutely elite pass rush to do anything. For years he had Dumervil/Suggs/Ngata and then also had Pernell McPhee as a bonus, then had Za'Darius Smith as a bonus. Without those pieces, his defenses largely fell apart. 

Now, it seems he finally figured some stuff out in Tennessee in terms of blitzing and whatever, I'm just saying he was basically ran out of town in Baltimore because of how bad he was compared to the talent level he had.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I've seen it. The thing with Pees in Baltimore (and apparently this was NOT the case in Tennessee, so take that for what you will), is when he was here he solely relied on having an absolutely elite pass rush to do anything. For years he had Dumervil/Suggs/Ngata and then also had Pernell McPhee as a bonus, then had Za'Darius Smith as a bonus. Without those pieces, his defenses largely fell apart. 

Now, it seems he finally figured some stuff out in Tennessee in terms of blitzing and whatever, I'm just saying he was basically ran out of town in Baltimore because of how bad he was compared to the talent level he had.

It was not just Baltimore, he also wore out his welcome among New England fans. He had a bend but break system, that of course, teams eventually figured out how to break. Titans fans may have not had him long enough for his defense to be "figured out" with the personnel there. 

Or maybe he improved as a coach. We'll see. It's not like Atlanta can be much worse.

• Like 1

I mean what do we expect Arthur Smith has been with the titan for almost his entire career outside of couple years in college and 1 year with WFT. He doesn't really have many connections outside of titans organization. 

Also reading this he's basically coached on NFL teams his dad has some sort of connection.

Edited by 49erurtaza

Pats
Maybe im missing something here when Peas was the DC of the Pats they were top 5 in PPG and top 10 in YPG every year from 06 to 09.  How is that a bad thing or not getting the job done on the defensive front?  

ypg -  6th, 4th, 10th, 10th
ppg - 2nd, 4th, 8th, 5th

Ravens
It was a bit of a mix bag but in general he improved it most years he was there from the last.

ypg -  17th, 12th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 12th
ppg - 13th, 12th, 6th, 24th, 9th, 6th  - not sure wtf happened on that 24th but that wasn't the norm lol.  

I could understand a bit from from Ravens fans being use to top 5 ppg and ypg prior to him being there every year.  Compared to what their use to thats a bit of a let down but still not a bad job by no means.  The avg fans and teams aren't that spoiled on elite defenses like ravens are use to having XD Most of us would kill to have a defense that hovers around the top 7 to 10 every year in ypg and ppg.  But yall are use to being top 2 or 3 every year so i get where your coming from i still don't see him as doing a bad job though there as long as he was still top 10 avg.

Maybe this is just me as a Falcon fan coming through and living with god awful horrible defenses for most of my falcons life but i could only dream of having defenses in the top 5 to 10 year after year in ypg and ppg. If he can get us anywhere near avging top 10 in both like he did for the Pats and Ravens he's pretty much a god over here in Falcon land at that point lol. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah Pees wasn’t terrible for the Ravens by any means, but in the 3 years since he’s left the Ravens are literally #1 in PPG and YPG on defense in that span lol

He can get your unit to “respectable/good” level but he’s not a guy to get you consistently in that top 5 range. 

Just depends what you’re looking for I guess.

The Falcons defense wasn't respectable for most of 2020.

15 hours ago, indifference said:

Tough job. ATL defense is voided of talent I expect them to take the first pass rusher off the board in the draft.

I wouldn't say voided of talent:

DL: Grady Jarrett has a ton of talent. Marlon Davidson and John Cominsky are promising recent draft picks. Jacob Tuioti-Mariner was a solid rotational piece. Tyeler Davison and Deadrin Senat might actually have bigger roles under Pees who runs a 3-4. 

LB: Deion Jones is great, but so is Foye Oluokun. Mykal Walker did a solid job when he was in there as a rookie (PFF graded him higher than I did, but even they noticed), and Dante Fowler fits better in a 3-4 than the offset 4-3. 

CB: AJ Terrell was excellent as a rookie despite the advanced stats showing a high passer rating allowed. He was rarely targeted. Isaiah Oliver can play solid slot corner. Keanu Neal is a beast. 

Needs are there. Specifically at EDGE Rusher and at No. 2 CB and at FS. But the defense has more talent than people realize. Coaching got a ton more out of them when it was Morris and Ulbrich than when it was just Quinn.

15 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

They have some pieces to build around though. Jarrett, Jones, Neal.

See above

• Like 1