Has there been a bigger organizational melt down than the Texans last year?

Kiwibrown

2 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

The Texans going from being a contender both of the previous two seasons with a consensus franchise QB to 2-14 and picking first overall in 2013 ranks up there. That was one of the more random collapses I remember. 

Was that the year that Schaub started throwing TDs to the wrong team?

This legitimately isn’t meant to be a dig but aren’t you a Browns fan? I’m sure you can remember some that were worse just from your own team lol...owners texting coaches during games, homeless guys picking first round picks, hue jackson, 0-16, analytics guys vs “football guys” in the front office clashing on every single decision a few years back, etc. 

Its been a rough patch for the Texans for sure but i’m not sure you go 4-44 over a 3 year period like the Browns did a few years back and not have some insane organizational breakdowns

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Malik said:

Are they not attempting to trade JJ as well?

This is the consensus - most likely moved to a destination of his choice.

I don't know if it's the worst collapse, but it's pretty bad. I actually think this is the standard operating procedure in Houston, but Amy Palcic was able to keep the media out of the internal conflict raging on. 

If we're looking for a starting line...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2839991-gm-brian-gaine-fired-by-texans-after-only-17-months-on-the-job

Right here. Gaine had no real noticable blemish in the 17 months he was in Houston - maybe you criticize getting leaped by Philadelphia to take Andre Dillard, but the Texans ended up with the better player in T Tytus Howard. He found gems such as Jordan Akins and Justin Reid in another year where the Texans lacked a 1/2 following the Deshaun Watson trade. He found low cost starting-calibur guys such as Zach Fulton and Darren Fells as well. His track record was about .450 to .500, he was a good GM - but he committed two sins:

- He didn't want to trade Jadevion Clowney while he was on the franchise tag.

- He wasn't part of Jack Easterby's prayer circle... but Nick Caserio was. 

All that led to...

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-accuse-texans-of-tampering-over-nick-caserio-0ap3000001033621

This opened the door to the "flat organization" that left guys such as Cal McNair, Bill O'Brien, Jack Easterby and Chris Olsen in charge. We know this group, sorta - Chris Olsen is actually a smart football guy. Guess who was the first to be fired?

https://www.battleredblog.com/2020/1/20/21073900/texans-fire-senior-vice-president-of-football-administration-chris-olsen

Yup.

So, this course of events lead to the Clowney trade, the Tunsil trade, the Hopkins trade... The systemic dismantling of a pretty good team. Every time the team failed, the internal working at NRG was to apparently point fingers and cross each other, all while holding hands and praying...

It's a phenomenal case study - in how to drive me insane. It started with the firing of Gaine and the ring ceremony at the Kraft residence.

5 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:
5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Was that the year that Schaub started throwing TDs to the wrong team?

Yeah. He just completely faded at age 32 in a way I don’t know that I have ever seen.

It was the eventual physical decline of a guy who didn't have great physical tools to begin with. The continued beating he took from defenders broke his plant foot, his knee, ruined his throwing shoulder, his elbow, his wrist - his mind was/is still sharp, but his body couldn't even make the most basic throws. 

The collapse was incoming, too much of his physical ability was ruined.

• Like 1

Not on the level of the Texans, but the Vikings breakdown in 2010 was sort of great to watch as a rival fan.

- Favre played badly.

- They gave up a 3rd round pick for Moss, who then didn't gel with the team and was cut a few weeks later.

- HC Brad Childress was fired a few weeks after that.

- As their season collapsed, their stadium literally collapsed.

- Favre got injured on the frozen field they had to play on as a substitute.

- They finished 6-10 after having been a Superbowl contender the previous year. They went 3-13 the year after that and wouldn't go back to the playoffs for five years after that NFC Championship game.

- Their biggest rival went on to win the Superbowl that same year.

Edited by Coffee & Contemplation
  • Like 1

Kotite lost 7 in a row after a 7-2 start and was run out of Philly on a rail.

He took over a Jets team that had gone 6-10 and 8-8 the last 2 years.

• They were a horror show at 3-13 and were infinitely worse the next year at 1-15

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/6/26/8850639/jets-history-a-lesson-from-kotite

Parcells took over and they were in the AFCCG in 2 years.

Chip Kelly got real ultimate power in Philly.

He traded McCoy, Foles, and a 2nd round pick for Alanso, Sammy Sleeves, and a case of smoothies.

His cuts were bad and his signings were worse.

• They went from a very talented (Reid's players) 20-12 under coach Kelly  (14-4 with Foles) to low talent 6-9 under Emperor Kelly so he got fired.

They won the Super Bowl 2 years later.

Dan Snyder lost a 10 million dollar bet with Mary Ball that was the 2002 Redskins.

He turned the team over to Ye Olde Ball Coach

• They were an ugly 7-9 in the first year with Shane Matthews, Patrick Ramsey, and Danny Awful.
  • They got worse the next year at 5-11 and the 'ol ball coach was sent packing.

HoarseDelectableAddax-max-1mb.gif

Joe Gibbs returned and got them respectable (2 playoff appearances in 4 years)

The Texans will be nothing like this because Cal McNair and Littlefinger Easterby are talentless fools.

Expect 1990's Bengals or 2000's Browns from this franchise over the next 5 years.

Edited by SkippyX

18 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

This legitimately isn’t meant to be a dig but aren’t you a Browns fan? I’m sure you can remember some that were worse just from your own team lol...owners texting coaches during games, homeless guys picking first round picks, hue jackson, 0-16, analytics guys vs “football guys” in the front office clashing on every single decision a few years back, etc. 

Its been a rough patch for the Texans for sure but i’m not sure you go 4-44 over a 3 year period like the Browns did a few years back and not have some insane organizational breakdowns

I'm not saying we were the patriots, however I feel like we took a less confused approach about sucking. 

We have had some terrible seasons but we did so with a bottom 45 qb. Watson seems to elevate the texans a whole lot.

On 1/23/2021 at 11:32 AM, CP3MVP said:

If they refuse to trade him, would he sit out

That's a LOT of money he'd be missing out on - close to $20mm, and that's not including clawback provisions any bonuses he may have in his deal.

I'm not saying he can't... I'm say it would be really expensive for him.