Free agents

WizardHawk

55 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

lol. Right? Totally adds up.

I mean, they are also talking to Hooker and Kazee. And the future of the LB position is a total mess. And we are trying to implement a new defensive system which Neal knows. And you can walk and chew gum at the same time... this isn’t stopping the Cowboys from doing anything; you can work your whole plan simultaneously. Neal makes sense for Dallas, especially as an LB, IMO.

I’m overall not pleased with the lack of moves to make us a better team, but people are way too worked up about the order in which things get done. If we signed Hooker on day 1 of FA, and then Neal, is that better than signing Neal and then Hooker?

5 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I mean, they are also talking to Hooker and Kazee. And the future of the LB position is a total mess. And we are trying to implement a new defensive system which Neal knows. And you can walk and chew gum at the same time... this isn’t stopping the Cowboys from doing anything; you can work your whole plan simultaneously. Neal makes sense for Dallas, especially as an LB, IMO.

I’m overall not pleased with the lack of moves to make us a better team, but people are way too worked up about the order in which things get done. If we signed Hooker on day 1 of FA, and then Neal, is that better than signing Neal and then Hooker?

I mean, Anthony Harris was right there for 5 million on a one year deal. Every time someone defends this approach to free agency, that deal is the ideal. And they're setting up visits with blown Achilles and talking about position switches who know the system but from a position they wouldn't be playing. Meanwhile a division rival that started with negative cap room amd the biggest dead cap hit in history manages to sign a guy one year removed from a franchise tag who played 95 percent of the snaps for Minnesota for 5 goddamn million dollars.

It's not the order or walking and chewing bubble gum thats the issue, though I can certainly see the appeal of acting like anyone that doesn't agree with you is a buffon who can't function when you're trying to defend a front office full of idiots who can't function. The issue is constantly focusing on damaged and broken players because of perceived bargains when actual bargains slip right by. 

7 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:
8 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

lol. Right? Totally adds up.

Was a tongue in cheek comment. I don’t care the order in which they address anything at this point. 

Edited by WizardHawk

It will never be fun or comfortable watching your division rivals improve while you do nothing. That is the current status of the Cowboys. That defense was atrocious last season and so far they have done nothing to fix it. 

34 minutes ago, ACO said:

It will never be fun or comfortable watching your division rivals improve while you do nothing. That is the current status of the Cowboys. That defense was atrocious last season and so far they have done nothing to fix it. 

Well they did change the coordinator.  I guess that's something. 

3 hours ago, Ace5 said:

I mean, Anthony Harris was right there for 5 million on a one year deal. Every time someone defends this approach to free agency, that deal is the ideal. And they're setting up visits with blown Achilles and talking about position switches who know the system but from a position they wouldn't be playing. Meanwhile a division rival that started with negative cap room amd the biggest dead cap hit in history manages to sign a guy one year removed from a franchise tag who played 95 percent of the snaps for Minnesota for 5 goddamn million dollars.

It's not the order or walking and chewing bubble gum thats the issue, though I can certainly see the appeal of acting like anyone that doesn't agree with you is a buffon who can't function when you're trying to defend a front office full of idiots who can't function. The issue is constantly focusing on damaged and broken players because of perceived bargains when actual bargains slip right by. 

I don’t know what happened with Harris. Maybe he didn’t want to come to Dallas. Maybe the NFL/Dallas doesn’t view him nearly as highly as outsiders seem to. Maybe Dallas missed an opportunity because they thought he’d cost a lot more. I don’t know, I would have been stoked.

I’m not trying to defend the front office. I have criticized them for not hopping on opportunities this offseason. And I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. I just think we need to keep things in perspective.

The bottom line here is that the Cowboys have had an opportunity to get better in FA. They haven’t yet. There are still opportunities, and I hope they take them. But great teams are generally not built through FA, they are supplemented. The sky is not falling.

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I don’t know what happened with Harris. Maybe he didn’t want to come to Dallas. Maybe the NFL/Dallas doesn’t view him nearly as highly as outsiders seem to. Maybe Dallas missed an opportunity because they thought he’d cost a lot more. I don’t know, I would have been stoked.

I’m not trying to defend the front office. I have criticized them for not hopping on opportunities this offseason. And I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. I just think we need to keep things in perspective.

The bottom line here is that the Cowboys have had an opportunity to get better in FA. They haven’t yet. There are still opportunities, and I hope they take them. But great teams are generally not built through FA, they are supplemented. The sky is not falling.

The issue, as you’re well aware, is that this organization has an illustrious history of not only not building certain positions through the draft, but then also refusing to supplement them through free agency. Safety and NT have truly been ignored for over 15 years. 

Edited by plan9misfit

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

The issue, as you’re well aware, is that this organization has an illustrious history of not only not building certain positions through the draft, but then also refusing to supplement them through free agency. Safety and NT have truly been ignored for over 15 years. 

I don’t disagree with any of this. What I was pushing back on was the anger around potentially signing a good player.

Be upset about a lack of signing Johnson or Harris or Tomlinson, and I’ll agree. But “OMG we are looking at Neal! We are so stupid” is pointless melodrama.

• Like 1