Watson trade talk!!!!!!

jetfuel34

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

This is the thing though it really doesn’t. I know we can all be on point when other fan bases routinely look down on the fact we have the #2 overall pick in the draft but let’s be real and breakdown that trade. 

- #2 could easily be traded for 3 first round picks and probably a 2x 3rd/4ths. 

-Q was the #3 overall pick, has only just turned 23 a few weeks back and just had a breakout campaign. He’d be a minimum of 2x first round picks if someone came calling for him. 

-Next years first is what it is really. If it’s ours then it would be valued 1-16 I suppose with Seattle’s being more 20-32 range. 

So In essence it’s actually more like 6 first round picks plus a few mid rounders. Not only is that excessive but it again completely undervalues the #2 pick. 

Future 1sts should be looked at for us on the same level as the SEA 1st we have. If we have Watson... we aren't drafting in the top 15 (I hope). Positional value does have to play into it. A DT isn't obviously the same value as a QB. Picks are picks. But player for player doesn't equate. Q if we just traded him would probably cost a 1st and a bit more. Remember he's not at a consistent level to that of Adams was for us to get a 2 1st rounders in return. He had a good year but did pretty much nothing as a rookie lets not forget. So he's trending to be a top DT, but he isn't the value of an Adams type player yet. For me, he equates the value of 2 2nds and 2 young defensive players in 1. So you give up 2 a 1st and him. This gives us a star QB and still a 1st every draft going forward. Still able to trade Darnold for hopefully a late 2nd which would still allow us to have 6 picks in the top 100 ( I believe). I don't want to trade Q. But to get Watson and only have to give up 2 1sts with him. I'd do that in a heartbeat. 

22 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Has there been rumors from our side that we are interested?

So far, we know Watson is interested in a few teams including the Jets. We also know he wants to be traded.

Houston likely wants to trade with us because we have a lot of draft capital including the second overall pick.

Nothing  really has come out suggesting we’re interested. We can read this as, we are playing our cards right and will strike when there’s a deal to be had. Or it can mean, we have other plans. Like build out our team first.

I think we are interested. Any Gm in need of a qb would be interested. 

Two things...I think our media leaks have stopped. Very difficult to gain any credible rumours as JD has kept everything in house. Also that prick Manish is gone so no more bs from him. 

The other thing is being careful not to piss Houston off. If we come out and express interest or made comment on him during the presser a few days back then that could really piss Houston off and have a detrimental effect in trade discussions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greene N White said:

If you stick with darnold the best case scenario is he tricks us into giving him a contract like a jimmy g or Goff. Now look at those situations. Is that really what you want.

Technically, I think, we could franchise tag him. So in essence we have at least two years to evaluate. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Future 1sts should be looked at for us on the same level as the SEA 1st we have. If we have Watson... we aren't drafting in the top 15 (I hope). Positional value does have to play into it. A DT isn't obviously the same value as a QB. Picks are picks. But player for player doesn't equate. Q if we just traded him would probably cost a 1st and a bit more. Remember he's not at a consistent level to that of Adams was for us to get a 2 1st rounders in return. He had a good year but did pretty much nothing as a rookie lets not forget. So he's trending to be a top DT, but he isn't the value of an Adams type player yet. For me, he equates the value of 2 2nds and 2 young defensive players in 1. So you give up 2 a 1st and him. This gives us a star QB and still a 1st every draft going forward. Still able to trade Darnold for hopefully a late 2nd which would still allow us to have 6 picks in the top 100 ( I believe). I don't want to trade Q. But to get Watson and only have to give up 2 1sts with him. I'd do that in a heartbeat. 

It’s not ‘would I trade Q’ because of course if we could save ourselves a couple of first round picks then I’d consider it. It’s the fact he’s being dropped in these trades like he’s nothing of any note. 

Hypothetically if say Tennessee called up and wanted to trade for Q. They offer #22. Why would we trade a guy we just selected #3? We would need two firsts and possibly another mid rounder.  

4 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

If you stick with darnold the best case scenario is he tricks us into giving him a contract like a jimmy g or Goff. Now look at those situations. Is that really what you want.

I think I read somewhere that 5th year options on rookies aren't based on there draft spot anymore. That its based on performance. So maybe we exercise his 5th year option and bc of his production this last year... maybe its not much I'll have to look up the 5th year option stuff again though. 

1 minute ago, xenajets said:

It’s not ‘would I trade Q’ because of course if we could save ourselves a couple of first round picks then I’d consider it. It’s the fact he’s being dropped in these trades like he’s nothing of any note. 

Hypothetically if say Tennessee called up and wanted to trade for Q. They offer #22. Why would we trade a guy we just selected #3? We would need two firsts and possibly another mid rounder.  

I totally see that. But 2 starters on defense and 2 2nd rounders is what he's equating to in a trade perhaps. 2 starters is no cheap price. They could be 1st rounders or UDFAs. Either way they're 2 starting young defenders. And 2 2nd rounders lets say equates to a late 1st. So the value of Q being a late 1st and 2 starters isn't awful. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But 2 starters on defense and 2 2nd rounders is what he's equating to in a trade perhaps. 2 starters is no cheap price

The flaw in that argument is that one really good player does not equal two average players. The curve is not linear it is exponential. I know you do not value DT’s. But teams in the NFL do. We need good players to field a good team. Trading one and creating a hole for another is not smart management.  If it came down to Q or bust for Houston, then I would only offer #23, 2022 SRP and Q. We could then trade down from #2 and select Barmore. 

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

I think we are interested. Any Gm in need of a qb would be interested. 

Two things...I think our media leaks have stopped. Very difficult to gain any credible rumours as JD has kept everything in house. Also that prick Manish is gone so no more bs from him. 

The other thing is being careful not to piss Houston off. If we come out and express interest or made comment on him during the presser a few days back then that could really piss Houston off and have a detrimental effect in trade discussions.

I’m not doubting we’ve talked about it internally. It’s just that zero leaks seems pretty extreme. Like we aren’t even hear from the Texans side that the Jets are interested. From Houston’s perspective, it would benefit them if they leak that we’ve called.

All we see from the Houston side is they want this and that. And that Houston should start with the Jets.

Again this could all be strategy.

Edited by SDotNova

21 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I’m not doubting we’ve talked about it internally. It’s just that zero leaks seems pretty extreme. Like we aren’t even hear from the Texans side that the Jets are interested. From Houston’s perspective, it would benefit them if they leak that we’ve called.

All we see from the Houston side is they want this and that. And that Houston should start with the Jets.

Again this could all be strategy.

I could be wrong, but there have not been any leaks from any team. All we hear is speculation from the media and fans. 

Not really sure how credible John McClain is as a reporter or if he has deep access. But here were his last proposals. The latest one is more reasonable but I’d still say no. The first one was like yeah right.

4 1st, 2 2nd, and Quinnen at the least!

Now it’s 2 1st, 2 2nd and two young players (say Quinnen and Foley) at the least!

Edited by SDotNova

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

I could be wrong, but there have not been any leaks from any team. All we hear is speculation from the media and fans. 

Hmm. You’re right.

For some reason I can’t up vote. But I agree that it’s been all speculation from fans regardless of team.

I mean the last we heard was that Watson is part of their plans. So they in all honesty probably aren’t even accepting offers. If a team calls... they’re probably saying they’re not listening to trade offers. But each day it will become worse. I believe yesterday Watson delete all his Texans stuff. It will just continue in that trend until they trade him. That’s why for them as an organization... it’s best to trade him ASAP.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean the last we heard was that Watson is part of their plans. So they in all honesty probably aren’t even accepting offers. If a team calls... they’re probably saying they’re not listening to trade offers. But each day it will become worse. I believe yesterday Watson delete all his Texans stuff. It will just continue in that trend until they trade him. That’s why for them as an organization... it’s best to trade him ASAP.

That is all GM speak and part of the game. The longer Houston plays this game the more time teams have to think about upping their offer.

Team A:  We want  Watson and will offer X. Houston:  We aren’t trading him.

Two weeks later.

Team A:  Alright we will offer X + Y.

Wash, rinse, repeat.