Watson trade talk!!!!!!

jetfuel34

Houston, is in terrible shape, they do not have a first or second round draft pick in 2021, they we 4-12 in 2020 with Watson & if they keep Watson they will be 4-13 in 2021. No question Watson had a outstanding year stats wise. All we can do now is just wait and let Houston sweat their mess out.

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

The Rams' picks were late in the round, so they have to give up a little more

Make no mistake, the reason for the second FRP was because of Goff’s guaranteed money. The Rams just freed up a lot of $ for next year. That would have no bearing on a Watson trade unless the team trading FOR him can convince Houston they are saving money therefore they should take less in draft picks.

This is reported by the Houston Chronicle:

According to the Houston Chronicle, Houston is seeking two first-round picks, two second-round picks and two young defensive players for their 25-year-old star.

Let the debates begin.  Just off the top of my head:  #2, next years Seattle FRP, next year 2nd, Austin and Shepherd. We can convince Houston that the #2 pick offsets the 2nd SRP.  If JD is really good maybe he can convince them of just our #2, 2 SRP, Austin and Shepherd.

I’d give them the 2nd pick, Q and a 1st next year. That equates to 4 1sts pretty much and a star young defensive player, instead of 2 good defensive players. Gives us a franchise QB. Still being good on the interior DL (JFM and Shepard can play). And still having a 1st this year and next year.

That should be an offer they can’t refuse. Q isn’t creating havoc enough for me to think we can’t trade him to get a 25yr old franchise QB with only giving away 2 1st rounders

I too am on board with whatever the new regime decides to do, and I will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt and some time. 

That said, I don't think the new regime will be doing itself any favors by keeping Darnold around for another year. At best, they can get out of him what McVay got out of Goff. But in the end, teams move on from QBs you cannot win with.

I'm not going to, but this Watson hype got me wanting to make a mock involving how I think we should build around Watson and the defense this offseason. lol This really feels like the year Brees was available and the only two teams that could get him was New Orleans and Miami. 

45 minutes ago, xrade said:

This is reported by the Houston Chronicle:

According to the Houston Chronicle, Houston is seeking two first-round picks, two second-round picks and two young defensive players for their 25-year-old star.

Let the debates begin.  Just off the top of my head:  #2, next years Seattle FRP, next year 2nd, Austin and Shepherd. We can convince Houston that the #2 pick offsets the 2nd SRP.  If JD is really good maybe he can convince them of just our #2, 2 SRP, Austin and Shepherd.

I am not sure that Douglas will make a huge deal with draft picks and players we have so many holes to fill. I sure seems like Douglas has a plan for the Jets future, for him to make any kind massive trade, would throw all his plans out the window. With that said i would love to have Watson on our roster next year.

52 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d give them the 2nd pick, Q and a 1st next year. That equates to 4 1sts pretty much and a star young defensive player, instead of 2 good defensive players. Gives us a franchise QB. Still being good on the interior DL (JFM and Shepard can play). And still having a 1st this year and next year.

That should be an offer they can’t refuse. Q isn’t creating havoc enough for me to think we can’t trade him to get a 25yr old franchise QB with only giving away 2 1st rounders

This is the thing though it really doesn’t. I know we can all be on point when other fan bases routinely look down on the fact we have the #2 overall pick in the draft but let’s be real and breakdown that trade. 

- #2 could easily be traded for 3 first round picks and probably a 2x 3rd/4ths. 

-Q was the #3 overall pick, has only just turned 23 a few weeks back and just had a breakout campaign. He’d be a minimum of 2x first round picks if someone came calling for him. 

-Next years first is what it is really. If it’s ours then it would be valued 1-16 I suppose with Seattle’s being more 20-32 range. 

So In essence it’s actually more like 6 first round picks plus a few mid rounders. Not only is that excessive but it again completely undervalues the #2 pick. 

Edited by xenajets
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I disagree with that. I do not see any reason to trade Q, if we want Watson we can get him without Q. I think hes going to be a stud in Saleh's defense, we already saw Q starting to turn into one of the better DTs in football. Now that hes in a defense that actually fits his skill set, I see him becoming a star.  No reason to trade away one of our ascending talents and create another hole. 

24 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

I disagree with that. I do not see any reason to trade Q, if we want Watson we can get him without Q. I think hes going to be a stud in Saleh's defense, we already saw Q starting to turn into one of the better DTs in football. Now that hes in a defense that actually fits his skill set, I see him becoming a star.  No reason to trade away one of our ascending talents and create another hole. 

Yeah that’s my thought entirely. It’s what pisses me off about these trades involving Q or Becton. We’ve done nothing wrong. We are the ones looking to trade for the disgruntled player (a lot of players in Houston are angry too!) so why do we then have to lose our best players? 

It’s not like we don’t have enough picks and real premium picks at that. More than capable of working the trade out. If we can get Deshaun in we are more or less guaranteed to get a top receiver (if we want one that is) so we could easily have a top 10 offense. 

That leaves our new HC to sort the defense out and we will be a playoff team next year. No doubt in my mind (unless Deshaun got hurt week 1) which would be pure Jets luck!! 

Edited by xenajets

Has there been rumors from our side that we are interested?

So far, we know Watson is interested in a few teams including the Jets. We also know he wants to be traded.

Houston likely wants to trade with us because we have a lot of draft capital including the second overall pick.

Nothing  really has come out suggesting we’re interested. We can read this as, we are playing our cards right and will strike when there’s a deal to be had. Or it can mean, we have other plans. Like build out our team first.

Edited by SDotNova