Watson trade talk!!!!!!

jetfuel34

Just now, doumeyer said:

I said the except same thing to a guy from DENVER who wanted us to trade Darnold to Denver for the ninth pick in the draft and get our 23 overall pick, i told him the problem is we will be forced then to either draft a QB or trade with Houston to get Watson.

Just now, doumeyer said:

I said the exact same thing to a guy from DENVER who wanted us to trade Darnold to Denver for the ninth pick in the draft and get our 23 overall pick, i told him the problem is we will be forced then to either draft a QB or trade with Houston to get Watson.

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

I said the except same thing to a guy from DENVER who wanted us to trade Darnold to Denver for the ninth pick in the draft and get our 23 overall pick, i told him the problem is we will be forced then to either draft a QB or trade with Houston to get Watson.

Well I'd have to look deeper into it.... that wouldn't be a bad trade for us. Bc we could probably get away with then just trading 2 and 9 for Watson and keeping everything else. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes JD then ties himself to a QB drafted at 2, Darnold or a QB we trade for. GMs get tied to a QB. So what he chooses this year...  really chooses his fate. And he knows that.

For the most part that is true. But I think almost everyone could give him a slight pass if he chooses Sam. It could be considered a one year tryout. If it works, JD is a genius. If not, well we did not really expect Sam to take a major step forward and he built up the rest of the team.

The biggest risk to JD’s career would be trading for Watson. Unless he completely rapes Houston (extremely doubtful), imagine if the team does not make the playoffs in 2022 and beyond.

Picking a rookie at two is probably the most expected thing. Since we have enough capital, this team will be better despite the QB. Unless the QB totally sucks and loses is winnable games, JD should be safe for a few years.

But the assessment that the GM is tied to the most important position on the field is absolutely true.

1 minute ago, xrade said:

For the most part that is true. But I think almost everyone could give him a slight pass if he chooses Sam. It could be considered a one year tryout. If it works, JD is a genius. If not, well we did not really expect Sam to take a major step forward and he built up the rest of the team.

The biggest risk to JD’s career would be trading for Watson. Unless he completely rapes Houston (extremely doubtful), imagine if the team does not make the playoffs in 2022 and beyond.

Picking a rookie at two is probably the most expected thing. Since we have enough capital, this team will be better despite the QB. Unless the QB totally sucks and loses is winnable games, JD should be safe for a few years.

But the assessment that the GM is tied to the most important position on the field is absolutely true.

The issue he has if he drafts a QB at 2 is building the rest of the roster. Are we attracting FAs with selling them a rookie QB in FA or Darnold? No unless we big time overpay. I don't see AR15 liking posts about the Jets drafting Wilson. I see him only liking posts about getting Watson. Meaning he's probably not considering us unless the QB situation is better. Is Thuney coming here if we have a rookie? I doubt it. He wants to win now. Only guys we can get are guys that haven't been paid big time yet that we can overpay IMO. Or getting tier 2 and 3 talent and that's exactly what you get a poor player. I've seen several mock Samuel to us at WR in FA. He's not moving the needle for us at all. We use that 2nd pick on a QB, then obviously a highly talented player we could draft there or trade back and still get a star player and more picks is out of the equation. JD has a choice to make. If he drafts a QB at 2 he has to be worried that the situation wont be much different than it was with Darnold bc the offensive roster would probably still lack. If we stick with Darnold that allows him to go several routes. Draft Smith at 2. Draft Sewell at 2. Trade back and still draft 1 of those 2 or Chase and acquire a high 2nd and more in return to further help Darnold (or whoever is at QB). Or just trade a ton and get a star QB in Watson. 

So going the rookie QB route isn't safe for JD. It's actually a risk.

Q should not even be in the discussion for Watson. They need draft picks, have 17 million in cap space and if they traded Watson 21.6 million in dead money.

Dead money: Refers to salary a team has already paid or has committed to paying (i.e., a signing bonus, fully guaranteed base salaries, earned bonuses, etc.) ... If there is dead money in a player's contract and he is released or retires, that charge will accelerate onto the team's salary cap for the current year.

This doesn't bode well for Houston, especially if they want to have players added to any potential trade.

If the Texan's really want to build their team it is with draft picks, and then by osmosis the cap will become manageable going forward.

The Jets could offer 3-4 number 1's including this years and in effect would be trading Jamal Adams plus 2 number 1's.

This years 1, next years Jets 1, and Seattles 1 for 2022 and 2023's 1st round pick from the Jets.

This years number one could garner them more draft capitol, especially if they trade with say Atlanta and still get a promising QB and more draft capitol and build their roster faster.

But any conversations for players like Q or Bekton is off limits.

But as a side note, which bothers me, the idea of talking with Detroit about Stafford stinks of Woody Johnson's involvement.

Hey Woody, let JD do the heavy lifting, let the GM build the team and perhaps you will get this Jets team going in the right direction.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Are we attracting FAs with selling them a rookie QB in FA or Darnold? No unless we big time overpay

I can certainly see your point. Watson offers us the best chance of luring top FA’s here. Agreed.

Prior to the Watson saga, some players commented on how great a job JD did in hiring Saleh. There was no talk of FA’s not wanting to come here. Saleh and the coaching staff were a selling point. Certainly not as big as Watson, but I have a hard time believing that FA’s will not want to play for us if we have a rookie QB. Possible, of course.  The players see that the Jets are changing their pathetic ways and realize this rebuild will be a quick one. If a player like Thuney or Robinson only want to go to a winning club, sayonara and good luck with that. A lot of the “winning clubs” can’t afford them. 

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The issue he has if he drafts a QB at 2 is building the rest of the roster. Are we attracting FAs with selling them a rookie QB in FA or Darnold? No unless we big time overpay. I don't see AR15 liking posts about the Jets drafting Wilson. I see him only liking posts about getting Watson. Meaning he's probably not considering us unless the QB situation is better. Is Thuney coming here if we have a rookie? I doubt it. He wants to win now. Only guys we can get are guys that haven't been paid big time yet that we can overpay IMO. Or getting tier 2 and 3 talent and that's exactly what you get a poor player. I've seen several mock Samuel to us at WR in FA. He's not moving the needle for us at all. We use that 2nd pick on a QB, then obviously a highly talented player we could draft there or trade back and still get a star player and more picks is out of the equation. JD has a choice to make. If he drafts a QB at 2 he has to be worried that the situation wont be much different than it was with Darnold bc the offensive roster would probably still lack. If we stick with Darnold that allows him to go several routes. Draft Smith at 2. Draft Sewell at 2. Trade back and still draft 1 of those 2 or Chase and acquire a high 2nd and more in return to further help Darnold (or whoever is at QB). Or just trade a ton and get a star QB in Watson. 

So going the rookie QB route isn't safe for JD. It's actually a risk.

When have we had trouble attracting free agents? The issue is they usually suck for us.

Our biggest issues have been drafting and coaching(but I think they’ve been handicapped by bad drafting more than anything)

5 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I would trade Darnold and #23 for #9 in a heartbeat. 

24 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

When have we had trouble attracting free agents? The issue is they usually suck for us.

Our biggest issues have been drafting and coaching(but I think they’ve been handicapped by bad drafting more than anything)

What offensive FAs have we attracted? Bell? Crowder wasn’t a top tier FA. Fant? McGovern? Perriman? These guys aren’t world beaters. We were one of a few teams that had money for Bell and needed a RB.

Listen I get we still have a market to sell a FA and a good Hc hire. But we still have to overpay for a guy. Bc the thing that matters to a lot of guys we still don’t offer in the short term. And that’s winning.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What offensive FAs have we attracted? Bell? Crowder wasn’t a top tier FA. Fant? McGovern? Perriman? These guys aren’t world beaters. We were one of a few teams that had money for Bell and needed a RB.

Listen I get we still have a market to sell a FA and a good Hc hire. But we still have to overpay for a guy. Bc the thing that matters to a lot of guys we still don’t offer in the short term. And that’s winning.

Regardless of whether or not a free agent was top tier or not we still signed them. Eric Decker for example. Crowder was a good/great signing. Bell was a top free agent.

Players mostly chase the money anyway. You have that and you have a shot. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Regardless of whether or not a free agent was top tier or not we still signed them. Eric Decker for example. Crowder was a good/great signing. Bell was a top free agent.

Players mostly chase the money anyway. You have that and you have a shot. 

But our GM isn’t an over payer. See the issue?

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

That he's going to seek value over name? He was going to make Thuney the highest paid OG ever and still might. 

We shall see this offseason. We all know JD wants to build through the draft and his actions have backed that up thus far. As for FA, he has only had one season of that. Let’s see what he does this year. 

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

That he's going to seek value over name? He was going to make Thuney the highest paid OG ever and still might. 

If Thuney even wants to come here. The interest has to be mutual. He seemed value in Perriman over Robby last year and how did that go? Not good. At least he’s recognized that as a mistake, which I give him credit for. But his teachers and all are people that don’t overpay. And when we can’t sell a player a winning franchise. We have to overpay to get guys in FA to come. But our GM doesn’t like doing business like that