Watson trade talk!!!!!!

jetfuel34

I'd love for us to grab Watson, even at a staggering price tag, but think he ends up in CAR.  Simply put, I think they're willing to give up a whole lot more than JD is.  In the end, HOU will take the best package.  McClain seems to be the mouth piece lettering teams know what HOU is expecting, 3x 1s and a significant player or 2.

1 hour ago, Kyu said:

I'd love for us to grab Watson, even at a staggering price tag, but think he ends up in CAR.  Simply put, I think they're willing to give up a whole lot more than JD is.  In the end, HOU will take the best package.  McClain seems to be the mouth piece lettering teams know what HOU is expecting, 3x 1s and a significant player or 2.

Douoglas. in no way is going to give away the Jets future, by giving away three first round picks and more,

19 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Douoglas. in no way is going to give away the Jets future, by giving away three first round picks and more,

I don't see it happening either.  Honestly, I just need him not to end up in Miami..

After JDs comments I think we are 4th in the race for him. I do think HOU wants to get us involved to get their new QB. But JD balks at the price. And there's really nothing HOU can do about that. I don't see them giving us much of a discount bc we have the 2nd pick.

What would be smart for JD to do is to act like we're still in on him to drive the price up. MIA is a team also involved and we want them to give up as much as we can to get him. I do think at the end of the day he goes to CAR. Which doesn't hurt us at all.

I believe the Miami GM is a lot like JD. We are just a year behind. They traded a very good OT for multiple FRPs which was a great deal for Miami ala the JD trade of JA. They have a young high draft pick QB like we will have. They did not go big in FA in 2019 much like we didn’t last year. They spent a little more in 2020 getting a good CB and value signings like Lawson at EDGE and Van Noy at DE. They knew they would draft a QB. Kind of sounds like us this year.

The point of all this is that I do not believe Miami will give up a ton to get Watson but may feign interest to drive up the price. Much like JD may do. In the end neither team will get Watson and he ends up in Carolina or staying in Houston until Houston realizes his resolve and gives him away for a song and dance after the season starts.

Edited by xrade

18 hours ago, xrade said:

I agree with the assessment but maybe not the reason. Miami does not just want to a one year playoff team the want what JD wants - long term sustainability. They needed to see what they have in the #5 draft pick so they can decide on picking a QB in this years draft or building the team with talent around him. Tua starter week 8 and Houston was 1-6 at the time. Miami probably guessed they would have a high FRP to get a new QB if Tua was abysmal (which I believe he was not considering his crap weapons).  It is the long game not the short game.

I guess where we disagree is this notion (and bobby also mentioned this recently) that making the playoffs with a veteran QB is one and done for a young, rebuilding franchise. To me, it is not. 

We are going to be a young team at a number of positions regardless. To me, having results with a veteran QB and also developing a young QB behind him is definitely possible (and quite frankly, should be the goal here). 

When the kid is ready (and only then), we can make the switch and try for a relatively seamless transition. What Miami attempted last season was anything but seamless and dearly cost them.

We have a team that only knows losing. We have youth. We have a rookie head coach and rookie coordinators. You also want a rookie starting in Week 1? Especially someone like Zach Wilson, a player who has never really played in the spotlight...ever?

7 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

When the kid is ready (and only then), we can make the switch and try for a relatively seamless transition. What Miami attempted last season was anything but seamless and dearly cost them.

Agree with the ready part. If it takes the rookie a whole year, fine. The coaches and JD would really need discipline for that. You know how the media is and they will be screaming at mid season for the rookie to start. This will affect Woodys patience. Point is, don’t hold your breath on that. It is just the way things work nowadays.

As for Miami, what did it cost them? A one and done playoff appearance?  So what. Everyone knows they are progressing as a team. Everyone knows that the Bills and Miami will be fighting it out this year. Again the goal is long term playoff appearances and a SB. A rookie QB will always have growing pains whether he starts mid season in year one or the whole season in year two. There will be mistakes. I think it is worse to go the playoffs with a vet then decline the following year with the rook rather than decline half way through the season. Now Miami can start Tua with 8 games under his belt lessening the growing pains for this year. If they give him some weapons, Miami may be playoff bound this year and beyond. Of course this will depend on Tua’s growth. 

39 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This HOU reporter really trying to get the Jets in on Watson. And I jus don't see it happening. I don't see JD giving up much more than the 2nd pick. And I still think HOU only entertains trading Watson for a HUGE package.

I agree. i think JD said here is pick number 2 and a few 3rd round picks with maybe a second. 

On 3/8/2021 at 9:08 AM, xrade said:

Agree with the ready part. If it takes the rookie a whole year, fine. The coaches and JD would really need discipline for that. You know how the media is and they will be screaming at mid season for the rookie to start. This will affect Woodys patience. Point is, don’t hold your breath on that. It is just the way things work nowadays.

As for Miami, what did it cost them? A one and done playoff appearance?  So what. Everyone knows they are progressing as a team. Everyone knows that the Bills and Miami will be fighting it out this year. Again the goal is long term playoff appearances and a SB. A rookie QB will always have growing pains whether he starts mid season in year one or the whole season in year two. There will be mistakes. I think it is worse to go the playoffs with a vet then decline the following year with the rook rather than decline half way through the season. Now Miami can start Tua with 8 games under his belt lessening the growing pains for this year. If they give him some weapons, Miami may be playoff bound this year and beyond. Of course this will depend on Tua’s growth. 

Winning breeds winning. That is all I am saying.

As for your first point, THAT is the main reason why I don't want to draft a QB at No. 2. It is much easier to be patient and for the owners to be patient when the QB is selected 23rd overall (or even early second round) than if he goes second overall. Personally, I think we need to stay the hell away from all the hype surrounding the quarterbacks at No. 2 (which is likely going to be Zach Wilson, although there is still plenty of time for Fields or someone else to move up). Let someone else deal with it. We, as a franchise, have never handled it well. We need to fly more under the radar. That is the only way this team is going to be able to get anywhere, and be competitive in a very tough division (which seems to only be getting better with each passing day).

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

As for your first point, THAT is the main reason why I don't want to draft a QB at No. 2. It is much easier to be patient and for the owners to be patient when the QB is selected 23rd overall (or even early second round) than if he goes second overall. Personally, I think we need to stay the hell away from all the hype surrounding the quarterbacks at No. 2 (which is likely going to be Zach Wilson, although there is still plenty of time for Fields or someone else to move up). Let someone else deal with it. We, as a franchise, have never handled it well. We need to fly more under the radar. That is the only way this team is going to be able to get anywhere, and be competitive in a very tough division (which seems to only be getting better with each passing day).

I agree this is not the year to draft a QB this high. You have to build. Look on my trade downs is in the Draft log and this is the way to go. 

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

19 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I agree this is not the year to draft a QB this high. You have to build. Look on my trade downs is in the Draft log and this is the way to go. 

You don’t pass on the chance of a franchise qb. Time for JD to show some big bollocks and go for it. Wilson at #2 has to happen. 

Edited by xenajets

42 minutes ago, xenajets said:

You don’t pass on the chance of a franchise qb. Time for JD to show some big bollocks and go for it. Wilson at #2 has to happen. 

Funny, I think he would show a lot bigger bollocks by not drafting the hyped up quarterback at No. 2. 

We should have passed on the franchise QB in 2018, too.

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Funny, I think he would show a lot bigger bollocks by not drafting the hyped up quarterback at No. 2. 

We should have passed on the franchise QB in 2018, too.

Yeah but just going with the status quo with Sam seems very much an easy way out. Don’t get me wrong I’d support the decision and route for Sam as he seem a great guy. But for me to be in a chance to get two great qb prospects in Wilson and Fields you have to make the pick.