Packers (Unofficially?) Promote Maurice Drayton to ST Coordinator

deltarich87

The majority of "coaching" involved in ST is tech work with the K, P and LS. Watching their tape on approach, foot placement, ball placement, etc and making adjustments.

There are minimal differences you'll find across the league on KR, PR, KO, kick block and punt as far as coverage schemes. Especially with the new blocking rules. 

Coaching special teams is just assignment coaching. Here is your job, please do it, here are the things you can't do, don't do them. 

I don't think a new ST coach changes anything. I think this has been a FO issue from the TT days. He came right out and said he'd never use a roster spot on a KR/PR only type player, they'd need to have a use on offense/defense as well. Then we transition to Gute who is the big RAS guy, sometimes you need to just pick a Jarrett Bush, Korey Hall type that doesn't have high ceilings on offense or defense, but bust their *** on ST. Less boom or bust raw guys late. 

Long story short, I think a new coach does nothing, this is an organization philosophy that needs some adjustments. I think we're relying way too much on guys like Ty Summers, Kamal Martin, Kendall Donnerson, Kadar Hollman types who are more athlete than football player to fill out our ST, and the results speak for themselves.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Very cool that they're forced to have to use key players on offense/defense they can't afford to lose to injury on ST because of how bad ST is.

Outside of the obvious injury risks this may put some of our starters in, the overarching problem is still not solved IF there isn't some cohesion, a smart system, and leadership on the field during ST's.  Specials need to create a bad-arse identity out there, have a "system" that's wise and effective, and accountability by all who dare serve on this most special of units.  

32 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The majority of "coaching" involved in ST is tech work with the K, P and LS. Watching their tape on approach, foot placement, ball placement, etc and making adjustments.

There are minimal differences you'll find across the league on KR, PR, KO, kick block and punt as far as coverage schemes. Especially with the new blocking rules. 

Coaching special teams is just assignment coaching. Here is your job, please do it, here are the things you can't do, don't do them. 

I don't think a new ST coach changes anything. I think this has been a FO issue from the TT days. He came right out and said he'd never use a roster spot on a KR/PR only type player, they'd need to have a use on offense/defense as well. Then we transition to Gute who is the big RAS guy, sometimes you need to just pick a Jarrett Bush, Korey Hall type that doesn't have high ceilings on offense or defense, but bust their *** on ST. Less boom or bust raw guys late. 

Long story short, I think a new coach does nothing, this is an organization philosophy that needs some adjustments. I think we're relying way too much on guys like Ty Summers, Kamal Martin, Kendall Donnerson, Kadar Hollman types who are more athlete than football player to fill out our ST, and the results speak for themselves.

The coaching is also bad.  Techniques and lane discipline is bad, indicative of poor coaching.

Packers do not practice good situational football across the board - offense, defense, etc.  Saw it with the end of half lapse vs TB, see it with special teams, and you see it on offense occasionally as well when Rodgers isn't covering it up.

No excuse for the disaster we witnessed last night.  I am sure we'll finish dead last this year in ST.  Buck stops with the coach.  A change is needed and it will make a difference.  Packers should and probably will be looking for  a replacement.  Only way this won't happen is if the ST unit gets their act together.  What's your confidence in that?

6 hours ago, Refugee said:

He’s also been out of the League close to 2 years. If he’s the same guy, I’d be all for it. He singlehandedly saved our worst in the NFL return game and added some quick hit plays on offense. Became one of my fast favorites just because of how low we had been before. His game depends on quickness and acceleration, if he has those I’d love to see him back. 

He played for the packers last season.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Pretty much. But we all ***** when we draft ST only guys. I've said for what feels like decades, it can't be that hard to coach ST coverage and returns, it's all the bodies you have. And I always ask, am I wrong? And rarely do I get a good excuse the other way.

Another ******* reason to extend rosters and game day rosters. But no they can't possibly spend 3 mil on 8 more bums. So this is what you get. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

No excuse for the disaster we witnessed last night.  I am sure we'll finish dead last this year in ST.  Buck stops with the coach.  A change is needed and it will make a difference.  Packers should and probably will be looking for  a replacement.  Only way this won't happen is if the ST unit gets their act together.  What's your confidence in that?

I understand during the coach doesn't do ****. And I'm absolutely not the "send a message" guy but ffs.. It can't hurt. Maybe it'll warn the rest of the guys on ST too

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

The coaching is also bad.  Techniques and lane discipline is bad, indicative of poor coaching.

Packers do not practice good situational football across the board - offense, defense, etc.  Saw it with the end of half lapse vs TB, see it with special teams, and you see it on offense occasionally as well when Rodgers isn't covering it up.

Lane discipline is not indicative of coaching, unless you think our guys simply aren't trained of their assignments which isn't true.

It's a reflection of a players ability to think and resist the "bait" they see on the field. EQ knows he's the outside contain as a gunner, sees the ball carrier run away from him and has a choice either to stay home and allow the play to made as designed, or chase the bait to make the play himself and risk giving up a big play. He ended up with a 97 yard TD and a concussion yesterday for his decision.

A player can run down on KO and see a blocker waiting in their lane, they can make a choice to avoid the contact and try to go around or take on the block, shed and stay in their lane.

Brandon Bostick was literally told, don't go for the ball, block for Jordy. He immediately broke the huddle and went for the ball.

ST's players are like mice staring at a trap with cheese in it. As dumb and corny as that sounds. It's not the coaches fault it they go for the cheese, they know they aren't supposed to.

Lane discipline is not indicative of coaching, unless you think our guys simply aren't trained of their assignments which isn't true.

It's a reflection of a players ability to think and resist the "bait" they see on the field. EQ knows he's the outside contain as a gunner, sees the ball carrier run away from him and has a choice either to stay home and allow the play to made as designed, or chase the bait to make the play himself and risk giving up a big play. He ended up with a 97 yard TD and a concussion yesterday for his decision.

A player can run down on KO and see a blocker waiting in their lane, they can make a choice to avoid the contact and try to go around or take on the block, shed and stay in their lane.

Brandon Bostick was literally told, don't go for the ball, block for Jordy. He immediately broke the huddle and went for the ball.

ST's players are like mice staring at a trap with cheese in it. As dumb and corny as that sounds. It's not the coaches fault it they go for the cheese, they know they aren't supposed to.

Then it's time to cut their *** and find players who "get it".

It's the coaches job to drill it into the guys.  There is a serious lack of execution and that falls on the coach.  A well coached ST unit wouldn't make those mistakes.  We'll see if Drayton can get this straightened out.  Since it's been an ongoing problem all season I don't remain hopeful.  Fire Drayton.

Edited by Scoremore

2 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

It's the coaches job to drill it into the guys.  There is a serious lack of execution and that falls on the coach.  A well coached ST unit wouldn't make those mistakes.  We'll see if Drayton can get this straightened out.  Since it's been an ongoing problem all season I don't remain hopeful.  Fire Drayton.

What do you think the coach does every week in film study? Eventually the players have to go play the game.

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What do you think the coach does every week in film study? Eventually the players have to go play the game.

I don't know what Drayton is doing.  Not his job!  Don't know how you can defend the guy after last night.  It's been an ongoing problem all season.  Fire Drayton.  Hoping the Rams can hang on up by 14.