Packers (Unofficially?) Promote Maurice Drayton to ST Coordinator

deltarich87

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Why can't Bojorquez cleanly catch a football and get the ball spun right?   I love his punting, but he wasn't getting it done tonight. 

Buck and Troy were implying it had something to do with Wirtz, the new LS, not quite learning how to snap the ball so the ball arrives at the perfect rotation spot. And they showed footage of Crosby grilling the poor guy on the sidelines to prove the point.

2 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Buck and Troy were implying it had something to do with Wirtz, the new LS, not quite learning how to snap the ball so the ball arrives at the perfect rotation spot. And they showed footage of Crosby grilling the poor guy on the sidelines to prove the point.

Yeah, especially that second kick that was blocked. The long snapper isn’t spinning it right, which means Bojo can’t place it right in time. 

I never considered this until I heard our last long snapper (can’t remember his name, but he was the one before the one we just cut) talk about it: a good long snapper consistently sends the ball so that the laces are in damn near the exact same position when the holder catches it, every time. Seems obvious now but it blew my mind when I heard it

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Yeah, especially that second kick that was blocked. The long snapper isn’t spinning it right, which means Bojo can’t place it right in time. 

I never considered this until I heard our last long snapper (can’t remember his name, but he was the one before the one we just cut) talk about it: a good long snapper consistently sends the ball so that the laces are in damn near the exact same position when the holder catches it, every time. Seems obvious now but it blew my mind when I heard it

Ironically (?) I think you're thinking of Brett Goode.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Brett Goode, for the record.

EDIT: Darn, misspelled it, I lose.

Edited by Zycho32
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 10:15 PM, Striker said:

Darren Rizzi.

His ST unit is currently 11 in ST DVOA and was 5 last season.

Rick Gosselin (famed ST ranker) had them at 5 last season as well.

The Packers were 25 in DVOA last season, 27 this season, and 29 in Gosselin's rankings.

gross dumb and dumber GIF

Well let's see if Drayton can get it turned around.  We have sucked forever in special teams.  Part of this also falls on the players not getting the job done.  Hopefully they will put in a flawless performance come Sunday.  I don't want to crucify the guy just yet but he's running out of chances.  I am sure this will be a major focus this week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Well let's see if Drayton can get it turned around.  We have sucked forever in special teams.  Part of this also falls on the players not getting the job done.  Hopefully they will put in a flawless performance come Sunday.  I don't want to crucify the guy just yet but he's running out of chances.  I am sure this will be a major focus this week.

Midway through the season and the special teams are getting worse.  His chances are running real, real thin.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

But also like... a good holder puts the ball down on the spot.  And a good kicker makes kicks despite mediocre snaps and/or holds

A professional kicker should be able to reasonably expect a professional LS and holder to have the laces out on every ball, not to mention the edges blocked before the ball reaches its destination. Mason has had some yips in his career but it’s pretty plain to see he has not been the problem some of these disastrous games we’ve seen. They need it fixed, yesterday.  Jobs should be lost otherwise.