Bears 2021 roster/trades/transactions

JAF-N72EX

Fields and Jenkins have signed and both are damn close to projected cap hits.

Brass only has 1 month left to decide whether to extend Robinson or let him play on his tag and become a free agent next year.

Not extending him would be a foolish mistake. Don't let your best WR walk when you just signed a potential franchise QB.

• Like 1

On top of Pennel and Wheatly - bears also signed jake butt after his tryout. Gunner Vogel - OT and Thomas Schaffer - DL were waived (both UDFA, and we had 1 open roster spot)

interested in Jake for sure. lack of TE depth (only kmet, graham, holtz, and horstead i believe) makes him an interesting addition

8 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

interested in Jake for sure. lack of TE depth (only kmet, graham, holtz, and horstead i believe) makes him an interesting addition

If he can stay healthy.  He only manage 8 games in 4 seasons in Denver

13 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I don't mind the signing. Jake is like Shaheen, he runs like a lumberback, but He's interesting as a blocker tho and that's one thing we lack at TE and he is better than Holtz and Horstead in this regard.

We don't need another pass catching TE this year. There aren't enough balls to go around for that. What we need are big bodies in run situations, and he can help if he can stay healthy.

Overcoming 2 ACL tears tho...well that's for another discussion.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:14 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't mind the signing. Jake is like Shaheen, he runs like a lumberback, but He's interesting as a blocker tho and that's one thing we lack at TE and he is better than Holtz and Horstead in this regard.

We don't need another pass catching TE this year. There aren't enough balls to go around for that. What we need are big bodies in run situations, and he can help if he can stay healthy.

Overcoming 2 ACL tears tho...well that's for another discussion.

Jake can't stay healthy and has never proven he has next level ability. 

Definition of a shot in dark based on college production and potential.

I think NFL teams should be trying to develop athletic PFs not quite good enough to be professional basketball players and teaching them to block.

Actually college FB teams should be doing that and recruiting HS players with that pitch.   

Nobody thinks outside the box for talent acquisition.   

In late 80s I saw a 235 lb. 6-6ish 18 year old dunk from free throw line at Bradley stadium in Peoria.   He couldn't dribble and shoot that good so went to play division III basketball in Minnesota or somewhere.

Like 5 seconds from 4 football schools and no one gave him a second look because he didn't play HS football.

Ridiculous.  I would have offered him a scholarship on spot and redshirted him.  

When I started coaching a bad news bears youth football team I went to baseball and basketball and got everyone I could out. 

We won title in a year. 

Pitchers and shortstops in baseball, wrestlers and point guards are kids you want.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2021 at 11:33 AM, dll2000 said:

Jake can't stay healthy and has never proven he has next level ability. 

Definition of a shot in dark based on college production and potential.

I think NFL teams should be trying to develop athletic PFs not quite good enough to be professional basketball players and teaching them to block.

Actually college FB teams should be doing that and recruiting HS players with that pitch.   

In late 80s I saw a 235 lb. 6-6ish 18 year old dunk from free throw line at Bradley stadium in Peoria.   He couldn't dribble and shoot that good so went to play division III basketball in Minnesota or somewhere.

Like 5 seconds from 4 football schools and no one gave him a second look because he didn't play HS football.

Ridiculous.  I would have offered him a scholarship on spot and redshirted him.  

When I started coaching a bad news bears youth football team I went to baseball and basketball and got everyone I could out. 

We won title in a year. 

Pitchers and shortstops in baseball, wrestlers and point guards are kids you want.

Lol Greg Olsen recently commented on how much he hates this concept 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Lol Greg Olsen recently commented on how much he hates this concept 

What did he say? 

Because finding best possible athletes to compete in your sport at young enough ages where they can be developed is just common sense.

I don't care who says they don't like it.  It doesn't make it untrue.

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

What did he say? 

Because finding best possible athletes to compete in your sport at young enough ages where they can be developed is just common sense.

His argument was moreso focusing on the nfl wanting to take college basketball players that never played the position and plugging them in at TE like Jimmy Graham and how it annoyed him because the position is much more complex and difficult than just finding a good athlete for it and that Graham is just a strange anomaly 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:04 AM, Ty21 said:

His argument was moreso focusing on the nfl wanting to take college basketball players that never played the position and plugging them in at TE like Jimmy Graham and how it annoyed him because the position is much more complex and difficult than just finding a good athlete for it and that Graham is just a strange anomaly 

It could be done if NFL practice rules were different.

There is small time to develop players.   You have time in training camp and that is about it.  

Regular season is just a game plan and glorified walk throughs or 3/4 speed of game plan.   Scout players and starters.

That is why colleges can develop players or change positions and NFL can't (as well).  They don't have the time or the live reps to give that you need to develop a new and foreign skill.

Yes just taking a college PF and trying to make him a TE is usually a losing battle.   But if you had farm system or minor league you could do it and you would see it a lot more.

You would rather have the better athlete always all else being equal.   They just lack skill and knowledge.

You think you're the first to come up with this concept? I'm assuming no, correct? (or atleast I would hope so)

So why hasn't it worked out? Because it's just a waste of time, resources, and a bad plan all around. That's why.

PF's are typically around about 6'9 with slim frames. There is no way in hell they stand up against 300 lb DL without losing their athleticism. Maintaining a center of body mass is important and PFs would be at a major disadvantage and damn sure wouldn't hold up against 250+ pass rushing LBers. Hell, they would struggle against 220 CBs/S in press coverage and bumping them off their routes with ease.

All you are going to end up with is a former PF who is either; at best, just a glorified WR who can't block AND tip the defense. A glorified WR who gets pushed around so easily he may as well not even be blocking at all -- which is a waste of personnel. Or at worst a former PF who put on so much weight to make up for his slim size that he looses alot of athletic ability, quickness, and elusiveness.

One example. Ok great. Now where is he now though? Do you even know?

Your judging their "athleticism" based on what you've seen on a maple hardwood floor in tennis shoes vs what they MIGHT look like in real grass while wearing cleats.

And I always absolutely hate this comparison all together. The NFL is a team sport. It's not like the NBA where a single player can take a 20 win team and make them a sudden contender in one year.

On 7/28/2021 at 10:46 AM, dll2000 said:

I get that it's just Olsen's opinion, but when talking about TE's in the NFL.....I would take the word of a ~13 year successful vet over yours and mine. 

When I started coaching a bad news bears youth football team

DLL first off, I like you and enjoy your insight. However, I don't care that you coached. Just because you coached 9-year-olds doesn't mean you know more about NFL football than anyone else who hasn't.

I'm tired of this BS too (not just you DLL just in general). In fact, I'm gonna use this opportunity to say that I am tired of people saying "I coached" or "played high school football" as if it means ANYTHING in relation to college or the NFL.

These are the same people that say I'm a lawyer or a teacher. Okay, great.....I know plenty of people who are lawyers and teachers...but it doesn't mean you were a GOOD ONE. But I digress.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

There is small time to develop players.   You have time in training camp and that is about it. 

Regular season is just a game plan and glorified walk throughs or 3/4 speed of game plan.   

Neither of these are even remotely true. There's a reason why they're mandatory and voluntary practices.

Studying film is by far more important than physical aspects. How quickly you can process info and put it to practice is the most important factor over anything else. You can be the most physically gifted person in the world but unless you know what to look for in yourself and your opponent then your just as useless as the guy sitting in seat 389.

Studying film with humility to improve your game, getting on the same page with your teammates, and looking for weaknesses in your opponents by far outweighs any physical advantage you may have--and it's not even close (and I hate even using those words but it fits here). 

For example; Here is a list of the top-20 guys with fastest 40-times in combine history per wiki and I can only name two players who are even worth mentioning (highlighted).

John Ross
Rondel Menendez
Chris Johnson
Jerome Mathis
Dri Archer
Henry Ruggs III
Stanford Routt
Marquise Goodwin
Champ Bailey
Jacoby Ford
Jalen Myrick
J. J. Nelson
DeMarcus Van Dyke
Fabian Washington
Zedrick Woods
Javelin Guidry
Darrent Williams
Tye Hill
Yamon Figurs
Darrius Heyward-Bey
Jamel Dean

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

That is why colleges can develop players or change positions and NFL can't (as well).

That's false too.

NFL players change positions all the time.

Now this I don't really get at all......problems with Christian Jones?

Roster Move: Bears sign veteran linebacker Ogletree

Aug 04, 2021 at 03:06 PM
mayer_headshot
Larry Mayer

Bears Senior Writer

ogletree-rm-080421
Damian Strohmeyer/AP

The Bears on Wednesday signed veteran linebacker Alec Ogletree to a one-year contract.

The 6-2, 235-pounder has appeared in 95 games with 94 starts over eight NFL seasons with the Rams (2013-17), Giants (2018-19) and Jets (2020). He has recorded 679 tackles, 44 tackles-for-loss, 7.5 sacks, 12 interceptions—returning four for touchdowns—and 12 forced fumbles.

Ogletree was selected by the Rams with the 30th pick in the first round of the 2013 draft out of Georgia. He started all 16 games in each of his first two seasons, registering 119 tackles and 9.0 tackles-for-loss in 2013 and 111 tackles and 6.0 tackles-for-loss in 2014. In 2016, he was named second-team All-Pro after compiling a career-high 136 tackles and 9.0 sacks.

Three of Ogletree's last four interceptions have come against the Bears, all as a member of the Giants. He picked off Chase Daniel twice in a 2018 game at MetLife Stadium, returning one for a touchdown, and then intercepted Mitchell Trubisky in a 2019 contest at Soldier Field.

9 hours ago, soulman said:

Jones is currently on Covid list, Woods left practice early the other day with a quad/thigh injury, and Iggy was a little banged up too. Left just Ro and Danny, plus maybe little Mack to be ILB

Ogletree picked off Foles in the first throw of the day tho

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Jones is currently on Covid list, Woods left practice early the other day with a quad/thigh injury, and Iggy was a little banged up too. Left just Ro and Danny, plus maybe little Mack to be ILB

Ogletree picked off Foles in the first throw of the day tho

Finally caught up with all of that last night when reading the camp reviews and diaries.

Although we haven't lost anyone to a major injury yet all these little "owies" coupled with the COVID protocols blurs a lot of what we're getting out of those diaries so far.  We still aren't back to "business as usual" so I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the COVID stuff but the injuries should be of some concern especially those Ifedi and Jenkins are dealing with.

10 hours ago, soulman said:

Roster Move: Bears sign veteran linebacker Ogletree

Aug 04, 2021 at 03:06 PM
mayer_headshot
Larry Mayer

Bears Senior Writer

ogletree-rm-080421
Damian Strohmeyer/AP

The Bears on Wednesday signed veteran linebacker Alec Ogletree to a one-year contract.

The 6-2, 235-pounder has appeared in 95 games with 94 starts over eight NFL seasons with the Rams (2013-17), Giants (2018-19) and Jets (2020). He has recorded 679 tackles, 44 tackles-for-loss, 7.5 sacks, 12 interceptions—returning four for touchdowns—and 12 forced fumbles.

Ogletree was selected by the Rams with the 30th pick in the first round of the 2013 draft out of Georgia. He started all 16 games in each of his first two seasons, registering 119 tackles and 9.0 tackles-for-loss in 2013 and 111 tackles and 6.0 tackles-for-loss in 2014. In 2016, he was named second-team All-Pro after compiling a career-high 136 tackles and 9.0 sacks.

Three of Ogletree's last four interceptions have come against the Bears, all as a member of the Giants. He picked off Chase Daniel twice in a 2018 game at MetLife Stadium, returning one for a touchdown, and then intercepted Mitchell Trubisky in a 2019 contest at Soldier Field.

I don't like it when teams pick up a guy whose best games have been against them, but hasn't played particularly great against rest of league.