Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Issue is that there are a lot of QBs who retired younger than the guys you named. They're pretty special players. And outside of Rodgers, they aren't very reliant on physical tools. Rodgers is the only guy on that list I'd say is mobile and has a strong arm. Plus, Stafford suffered a severe back injury in 2019.

I would say Stafford belongs in the category of not relying on physical tools, outside of throwing the ball.

Real question: Think of the legit, entrenched franchise QBs post-2000. How many of them tailed off by their mid-30s due to age (and that can include injuries that seem related to age, but not a freak accident like Lawrence Taylor snapping your leg in two)? Like how many examples would lend credence to your concern?

Because off the top of my head most QBs that start for a few years and then fade, I don't really think were all that good to begin with and probably didn't totally fit the bill as a rock-solid franchise guy.

One example that does come to mind is Tony Romo, so that would fit what you mean. But plenty of counter examples: The whole '04 class, Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Favre, I don't think Matt Ryan has physically tailed off.

I dunno, maybe Joe Flacco took a nosedive?

I just think there are more examples in favor of an established QB maintaining their play through their mid-30s.

Stafford will be 33 all of next season. You could get 3 full seasons out of him and he'd still just be 35.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I would say Stafford belongs in the category of not relying on physical tools, outside of throwing the ball.

Real question: Think of the legit, entrenched franchise QBs post-2000. How many of them tailed off by their mid-30s due to age (and that can include injuries that seem related to age, but not a freak accident like Lawrence Taylor snapping your leg in two)? Like how many examples would lend credence to your concern?

Because off the top of my head most QBs that start for a few years and then fade, I don't really think were all that good to begin with and probably didn't totally fit the bill as a rock-solid franchise guy.

One example that does come to mind is Tony Romo, so that would fit what you mean. But plenty of counter examples: The whole '04 class, Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Favre, I don't think Matt Ryan has physically tailed off.

I dunno, maybe Joe Flacco took a nosedive?

I just think there are more examples in favor of an established QB maintaining their play through their mid-30s.

Stafford will be 33 all of next season. You could get 3 full seasons out of him and he'd still just be 35.

The bigger problem for me are the durability issues popping up the past two years. Those tend to get worse with age.

10 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

The Rams paid too much to draft Goff. 

The Rams paid too much to pay Goff.

The Rams paid too much to trade Goff.

There's something to be said for consistency. 

39 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I mean, he’s on the verge of eclipsing the 50,000 mark. When it’s all said & done he’ll be in the HOF and rightfully so. One of the most under appreciated players of the past decade!

He’s never won a playoff game.

3 hours ago, El Ramster said:

I literally wanna cancel my season tickets. This is beyond garbage. I was ok with rolling with Goff. Stafford is hot garbage. 

Can’t wait until you eat crow on this. Stafford is a MUCH better quarterback than he’s given credit for and pairing him with Mcvay makes it that much better.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Counselor said:

This has probably been said but when the Lions flip Goff and a bunch of those firsts for Watson what y’all gonna do?

Literally told my brother when I saw this news, that the Lions now have the ammunition to trade for Watson and this may not be where Goff is playing in 2021

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He’s never won a playoff game.

Team and coaching matters ESPECIALLY in the Playoffs. This is arguably the best Coach, defense, stable of RB’s and WR group he’s possibly had his entire career. 

2 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Team and coaching matters ESPECIALLY in the Playoffs. This is arguably the best Coach, defense, stable of RB’s and WR group he’s possibly had his entire career. 

He’s not going to the HOF having never won a playoff game.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I have some doubts that Rivers will make the HOF, and Stafford has not had the career Rivers had. It would take one hell of a late-career renaissance for Stafford to make the HOF. He'd have to play at basically a MVP level and win a Super Bowl or two.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Goff went to the Super Bowl under Mcvay and couldn’t read a defense. 

Stafford can read a defense and is now playing for Mcvay, no doubt the best coach he’s had his entire career. 

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

Goff went to the Super Bowl under Mcvay and couldn’t read a defense. 

Stafford can read a defense and is now playing for Mcvay, no doubt the best coach he’s had his entire career. 

That’s not what we are talking about.  You said Matthew Stafford will go in the HOF.  He will not.