Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

28 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I didnt read the whold thread, so I dont know if this has been brought up. But the old saying that future picks are worth a round less, IE: time value of money draft picks, then bringing them into current value, the rams gave up

2nd rounder (2022 1st)

3rd rounder (2021 3rd)

3rd rounder (2023 1st). 

Not sure who all buys into that thought process, but still a talking about when it comes to "value"

I think that "future picks are worth a round less" is only considered during the trade negotiation itself. Once the trade is final, picks are what they are.

No fan looks at their draft capital for the next year and says "We don't have a 1st round pick next year, but we have one pick in each of rounds 2-8".

As it stands, we can assume that the Lions have added a late 1st round pick in the 2022 and 2023 NFL drafts (along with the current 3rd and Goff).

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Goff is too big of a name for them to not at least comment on it.

In other words: it's impossible for the Lions to actually *like* Goff?

"He's too big of a name to not say anything."
"Of course they're going to say something positive."

It just seems silly to paint it this way.

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think that "future picks are worth a round less" is only considered during the trade negotiation itself. Once the trade is final, picks are what they are.

No fan looks at their draft capital for the next year and says "We don't have a 1st round pick next year, but we have one pick in each of rounds 2-8".

As it stands, we can assume that the Lions have added a late 1st round pick in the 2022 and 2023 NFL drafts (along with the current 3rd and Goff).

The problem is you don't get to use those draft picks until a year from now.  And how many GMs have that kind of job security where they know they'll be able to use them?  Plus, you usually need to have ownership sign off on deals that involve future picks.  This deal was signed off by the Lions' ownership IMO, and it's clear that Holmes and Campbell have a long leash.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

In other words: it's impossible for the Lions to actually *like* Goff?

"He's too big of a name to not say anything."
"Of course they're going to say something positive."

It just seems silly to paint it this way.

I think it's very possible that they view him as borderline top-15ish QB.  I think it's also possible that they view him as a guy that they can rehab his value and potentially flip him for a future FRP, if not a Day 2 pick and then some.  They're not going to come out and publicly bash the QB they just acquired.  IIRC, even after the Browns acquired Brock Osweiler in a trade from the Texans that was clearly a salary dump, they said positive things about him.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

The problem is you don't get to use those draft picks until a year from now.  And how many GMs have that kind of job security where they know they'll be able to use them?  Plus, you usually need to have ownership sign off on deals that involve future picks.  This deal was signed off by the Lions' ownership IMO, and it's clear that Holmes and Campbell have a long leash.

... right. I don't disagree with any of that.

It doesn't make those future picks anything less than 1st rounders. The value is lowered one round during the trade negotiation itself, but that's over once the trade is made.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

... right. I don't disagree with any of that.

It doesn't make those future picks anything less than 1st rounders. The value is lowered one round during the trade negotiation itself, but that's over once the trade is made.

But it's no different than the time value of money.  Is $100 right now worth more, less or, the same as $100 a year from now?  The same principle applies to draft picks.  Draft picks are more valuable now then they are in the future.  They're FRPs, but in terms of value you're always going to take the FRP this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

But it's no different than the time value of money.  Is $100 right now worth more, less or, the same as $100 a year from now?  The same principle applies to draft picks.  Draft picks are more valuable now then they are in the future.  They're FRPs, but in terms of value you're always going to take the FRP this year.

... sure. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

... sure. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

Then I'm struggling to understand what you're arguing here.  Nobody is disagreeing that they're future FRPs.  We're discussing what their value is.

]]

32 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Strong disagree on the assume about the picks.

• The Rams are in a division where 4th would not be impossible next year.
  • They are an Aaron Donald injury from 6-10 (he is that good)
    • They are an Aaron Donald has been the best DT in the league for 6 years and he might fall off his peak from being an 8-8 or 9-7 type team.
  • They are a barren wasteland of high draft picks between Goff, this, and Ramsey.
  • They have to replace their edge rusher again.
  • Blythe at C is a free agent.
  • Whitworth turns 40 next December
  • Kupp has been hurt a bunch

The Rams might make the playoffs 2x in the next 2 years.

They might also go 6-10 with a few key injuries. (see the SB runner up SF 49ers for example)

NOTE: I said Rams should have high picks earlier in the thread.

I was using their logic, not mine.

They think he is the hero they need and they will compete for 2 Super Bowls now.

I am not so optimistic.

Edited by SkippyX

43 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

When Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay phoned Jared Goff Saturday night to tell the quarterback he was being traded to the Detroit Lions, Goff had barely uttered "OK" when he saw that his father, Jerry, was calling on the other line. As a man accustomed to making quick decisions in the heat of the moment, Goff didn't hesitate.

"I've gotta go," he told his soon-to-be-former boss, and clicked off to talk to his dad about the next chapter of his NFL career.

Lol

https://www.nfl.com/news/silver-jared-goff-excited-to-be-with-lions-franchise-that-wants-appreciates-him?campaign=Twitter_atn

Good for JG. They handled this just as badly as they handled the KW break-up.

56 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The difference is the "Dalton line". 

Stafford is above the Dalton line.

Goff is below the Dalton line.

LOL. Stop.

"I'm just excited to be somewhere that I know wants me and appreciates me,"

I have to say I don't like this. Sean would be well within his right to say "well I'm excited to have a QB that doesn't lose me games despite my best effort at making it a favorable situation", IMO. Could be handled better but I give Sean a pass because he didn't draft Goff, did he.

Damn Jared.

Edited by Hunter2_1

""I'm just excited to be somewhere that I know wants me and appreciates me,"

Also, I think the Rams absolutely wanted him and appreciated him when he was playing at the level that got him that pay day. He hasn't been the same since that season no matter where you think he can improve to