Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

14 minutes ago, Split the Sticks said:

Bronco dude, how the heck an x-defensive coordinator is supposed to oppress the QB that badly is beyond me.
He'd rather play in Tennessee,, Arizona, Minnesota... ? 

I guess so. 

When Patricia came to DET - they had 3 9-7 seasons in 3 of the 4 prior years. 

Patricia’s first act was to blow that roster up - and add “his guys”.   He traded or cut their established leadership around Stafford. All the while promising the Lions were ready to take the next step.    Thet weren’t.  

Patricia then had the nerve to say the team needed a major rebuild.  Because of the moves he pushed for.   All the while losing the clubhouse along the way.  

What followed was perhaps the worst era of DET coaching - which is saying something.  But it's supported by the #'s, and the eye test.

This describes it in better detail: 

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2020/11/30/21724314/matt-patricia-tenure-riddled-disappointment

If Stafford never wanted to be in the same room, building or town as Patricia - can't really blame him.  Patricia took his team, which was on the verge of being a regular playoff team, to take the next step.  Turns out the next step was off a cliff - and with the arrogant, dismissive style that's referenced in the articles (and endorsed by players & media alike) - he lost the locker room & the respect of his players.   Hard not to see why Stafford wouldn't want anything to do with Patricia football-wise.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Why does it feel like Schrags is always a sunshine pumping contrarian? And specifically for Goff/Rams?

Yup. I don't buy that for a second. "Beat Wilson and Brees in their building" LOL - if a GM in the NFL is going off of Qb WiNz as an actual argument for evaluating talent, something is wrong.

Just now, Nzd07 said:

Yup. I don't buy that for a second. "Beat Wilson and Brees in their building" LOL - if a GM in the NFL is going off of Qb WiNz as an actual argument for evaluating talent, something is wrong.

The dud 100% had a goff tweet earlier in the week talking about how amazing Goff was. He is probably just covering his butt.

Re: Schrags, writers carry water for teams all the time.  It's the quid pro quo for getting the scoops.   

Writers breaking info - believe them if they're plugged in.   Same writers giving opinions on values - are usually being fed the take.  It's the price of doing business.  Nothing to see here.

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Any truth to the rumors the Lions helped out the Rams with this one? Heard the WFT gave them a better offer

WFT offered their pick this year and the Rams offered future firsts plus Goff. The Lions GM was in the Rams front office when they drafted Goff. 

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Stafford had a great defense in 2014. They still lost in the first round of the playoffs against Dallas (despite leading 20-7 in the 3rd quarter). It's incredible that people are making excuses for a guy not having accomplished anything after 12 years in the NFL. God help McVay if Stafford doesn't take him to a Super Bowl.

To be fair to Stafford, their offense was pretty mediocre that year under Lombardi. They went from 9th overall in 2013 to 19th in 2014, with the running game ranking 28th that season as well.

10 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Any truth to the rumors the Lions helped out the Rams with this one? Heard the WFT gave them a better offer

Nothing concrete.  Don't think Washington was offering multiple FRPs, but again nothing concrete.

11 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

No, I did not read 56 pages and counting on here, and don't intend to in order to find the answer to the question if it's been addressed.

Enlighten me, what are your thoughts on this? I think if they can adequately address the OL, they could take a step forward with this trade, at least in the short-term (next couple seasons). Also what I've "been told by Rams fans" wasn't pertaining to this thread, but rather months/years of discussions lol.

This post still feels like a bit of a cop out considering that in those 56 pages, you've got a post on a majority of them.  But whatever.

I don't love the trade, I don't hate the trade.  My feeling, as I expressed in the Rams sub-forum, is that this is likely McVay wanting to get his guy (he came in after Goff) and trying to have his cake and eat it too by keeping the the window some semblance of open while on the path there- which is pretty common for McVay because, as I've been critical of him for the past year, I have concerns about his ability to check his ego (or to recognize that he needs to).  Goff's contract was an impetus to that.  I think we overpaid to ditch that contract, but that was because Goff was effectively un-cuttable for at least another year, realistically 2 - and the reports I was hearing (on national media, not local) were that Goff (or a least his agent, so grain of salt and all...) wasn't willing to take a reduction in salary or a renegotiation in order to help the team get under the cap this upcoming year.  His prerogative, but also the team's prerogative to hold that against him.  It is what it is.

I kind of think McVay is viewing Stafford (albeit more expensive to acquire, largely because in order to shed Goff we had to trade him to avoid utter cap hell, and a three-team deal is an extremely rarity in the NFL; this isn't the NBA) as something very akin to when the Chiefs brought in Alex Smith, but weren't shy about moving for the right toolsy QB prospect if they started to fall because of perceived "raw-ness" in their respective draft class (in this case one Patrick Mahomes).  Reid was able to still be competitive with Smith, but the team didn't skyrocket until landing Mahomes and letting him develop behind Smith for a season.

Our front office has, for a while, been a non-conventional one.  Not in the sense that they're trying to game the system, but rather that they're looking at when trends become oversaturated and then they try to develop new paradigms to get advantages.  I wouldn't even necessarily call them new paradigms, just ones that are in heavy use in the current market/environment.  This approach Snead's taken wherein he makes the effort to bring in and rehab guys on 1-year prove-it deals knowing full-well that he isn't likely going to retain them past then, but that they'll recoup him comp picks when they sign elsewhere for a sizable contract.  And those comp picks, now that they're tradeable , give Snead the flexibility to move around on Days 2 and 3 the way he really likes to.

Stafford isn't without his faults.  I do feel like he didn't get a real chance in Detroit where all the pieces really aligned (coaching stability, OL, effective running game, and defense).  Not that many QB's do, but it seemed like every time things started going in the right direction with 2-3 of those elements, something went screwy with 1-2 of the others.

I don't feel like this trade makes us Super Bowl favorites by any means, but I think it keeps us in similar or at least slightly improved standing within the division and conference, while giving us potentially a bit more of an edge in the playoffs, but that's also contingent on us ticking the boxes that we needed to tick this offseason even if Goff was still here.