Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

48 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

That's the big takeaway I've had from this trade. Across the board I've been stunned at how much football fans thought the Rams got "fleeced." The Rams have talked at Sloan about how draft picks (particularly high ones) are overvalued. No one is saying the draft is useless and its not like the Rams are trading all of their picks for middle linebacker depth or something nonsensical. You can disagree with the value somewhat but people always mentally fill in "X pick" with "Y All-pro superstud" at "Z position" with that Z position being whatever position the person wants it to be at any given time.

A poster on Reddit looked at the 21-32 range of picks (where the Rams picks were) over the past 5 years and these were the players who have made a probowl.

2016 - Kenny Clark
2017 - Evan Engram, TreDavious White, TJ Watt
2018 - Lamar Jackson
2019 - Josh Jacobs
2020 - Justin Jefferson

While probowls aren't everything (LOL Engram) this means that these late FRPs have approx a 12% high end hit rate or a 1.5% that this is the coup that most people are mentally checkboxing right now, and that assuming its at meaningful positions. I only write this to show that people really need to get their head out of the clouds and start looking at these things more pragmatically.

You shouldn't use condescending language like that when you're only seeing half the picture.

It's only half about drafting probowlers, or star players.

The other half is about keeping your roster stocked, from the best players to the third-stringers, with young players on rookie contracts. Keeping your draft capital gives you better odds of drafting non-bust, contributing players and conserving cap space to then make those trades or signings that put you over the top. This is even true with later picks, but first-rounders give you the best chance that even if they're not stars, they're contributors right away.

Edited by Superduperman

41 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

There's a better angle that makes Stafford justice on that throw but I don't know to embed tweets. That wasn't the typical no look pass to a guy sitting at the end of a route. That was no-look anticipation throw. Amazing stuff.

https://twitter.com/__Macmane__/status/1354515272313389056?s=20

man, i remember at the time being pissed about rashaan evans (54) in coverage but then i saw this clip later that week and, well, what can you even do about that? lol. incredible play.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I just don't understand why the Rams gave up THIS much......Stafford for Goff is almost a straight up trade.....maybe a 3rd thrown in but geez

I don't agree with that take at all, both in terms of talent and cap/contract