Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea I'm not exactly sure how bad Staffords contract is but isnt Goff's awful?

Not since the Rams are paying a large portion of it.

2021 Contract details by year 27 $25,325,000 - $2,500,000 - $27,825,000 $43,325,000 $27,825,000  
2022 Contract details by year 28 $10,000,000 - $15,500,000 - $25,500,000 $15,500,000 $25,500,000  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2023, 4 YR, $110,367,682; $0 DEAD CAP

2023 Contract details by year 29 $20,000,000 - $5,000,000 - $25,000,000 - $25,000,000  
2024 Contract details by year 30 $21,000,064 - $5,000,000 - $26,000,064 - $26,000,064  
      UFA  

Goff is due $27.8 million this season but can be cut next season for $10 million in cap space or after next season with no dead cap hit. This narrative that the Lions took on massive money is just not accurate. 

7 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

didnt actually read the article, huh?

Alright. Went back and read the article. It listed a few things, and even mentioned Patricia's culture in Detroit. (But, hey, lets ignore that.)

So, question: this "source" believes that the Patriots' status as rebuilders was the reason Stafford crossed only New England off the list. Only New England? Out of the 31 other teams in the league, Stafford felt that only New England was rebuilding?

Or, he didn't want to be "the next guy" to try and replace "THE guy"? This sounds idiotic, as, if a situation was right, I doubt Stafford would be like: "Forget success, I don't want to be a guy that had to replace a guy that had to replace another guy."

Now we're all confused.

637793305eb6d0947ef63cd72e02b1d8.png

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

Stafford refusal to go to anyone but New England is hard to swallow as an evaluation of their long term chances as the main driver.   

Patricia tore down a team that was 9-7 or better 3 of the prior 4 years to get “his guys” and build a winner.  Then declared his team needed a rebuild a year later.   He gradually but clearly lost that locker room.  It’s not hard to connect the dots.  

Edited by Broncofan

14 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Alright. Went back and read the article. It listed a few things, and even mentioned Patricia's culture in Detroit. (But, hey, lets ignore that.)

So, question: this "source" believes that the Patriots' status as rebuilders was the reason Stafford crossed only New England off the list. Only New England? Out of the 31 other teams in the league, Stafford felt that only New England was rebuilding?

Or, he didn't want to be "the next guy" to try and replace "THE guy"? This sounds idiotic, as, if a situation was right, I doubt Stafford would be like: "Forget success, I don't want to be a guy that had to replace a guy that had to replace another guy."

Now we're all confused.

637793305eb6d0947ef63cd72e02b1d8.png

The article was the news that Stafford refused to be traded to NE and then the writer trying to think of numerous reasons why while glossing over the most obvious (Patricia). 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

A damning indictment on Matt Patricia and his "culture" in Detroit.

If I were a QB I wouldn't want to go to an offense to throw to Ryan Izzo and Jakobi Meyers either, to be fair

But if Matty P put him off and he thinks Bill is the same, then fair enough again. 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

You shouldn't use condescending language like that when you're only seeing half the picture.

It's only half about drafting probowlers, or star players.

The other half is about keeping your roster stocked, from the best players to the third-stringers, with young players on rookie contracts. Keeping your draft capital gives you better odds of drafting non-bust, contributing players and conserving cap space to then make those trades or signings that put you over the top. This is even true with later picks, but first-rounders give you the best chance that even if they're not stars, they're contributors right away.

That's fair and I didn't mean to come off condescending but I will also note that plenty of people are being equally 'condescending' to the notion that the Rams trading away first round picks is actually smart/well thought out and not a naive short sighted win now move only done by 'dumb' franchises.