Rams trade 2 future first rounders, a third rounder, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford

TheRealMcCoy

First of all for the idiots that lack the ability to comprehend the English language we've said the Rams shouldn't make this kind of move not couldn't or wouldn't you're now 0 for 3 understanding this point so congrats on that.

We've been told the Rams needed and wanted a mobile QB that's why McVay liked Wolford so much it was necessary for his offense and that meant Goff was gone. Well you got a statue instead one he's a mediocre QB at best. 

We've been told they wanted to move off of Goff and get on a Rookie QB well that's out the window now. It's like Mad Mike Martz 2.0 with this club. 

The Rams have traded 4 first round picks 2 second round picks and 3 third round picks while paying Jared Goff $81 million all so they can end up with Matt Stafford. So that need to get a mobile young QB on a rookie deal led us to a soon to be 33 year old statue with a career 62% completion. Oh and between Goff and Stafford we're now paying the QB position $42 million this year and have yet again $30 million of dead money on the books. 

We have a nearly 40 year old LT and the rest of our line is free agents after 2021 or 2022 we have no cap money in either off season and we have no picks either. We also now have to push more money for Stafford into future years because they've effed up the cap for 2021 in colossal ways. 

Snead got played by his former apprentice pure and simple this is disgusting to watch. And for the clown questioning our fandom shut your pie hole. I've been a Rams fan longer than you've been alive so don't bring that crap at me or anybody else. I'll always be a Rams fan but I can't watch a team leadership that continually gives out these contracts to players then puts the team in cap hell by moving on from them BEFORE THE EXTENSIONS EVEN GO INTO AFFECT! I can't sit around and watch this team shoot itself in the foot. I have always liked Matt Stafford but for the people that think this trade in totality makes us a better team I simply can't and won't ever agree. This was a terrible move by the Rams and I'm taking an extended break. I already didn't like this forum and a few people have finally driven me off it. Best of luck to those of you who I've been here with for years hope you find something to enjoy in football season. 

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

sureeeee. 

The contract was bad and they were smart enough to move on. It's about recognizing it and not letting it drag you down. Other franchises would have stuck with him and rode the franchise into the ground. Good for them for admitting their mistakes.

And when he struggles next year, I won't have to say anything. The Goff lovers will just know he was a product of McVay. If he comes out slinging and turns that team into a WC contender, I'll eat crow. I did before in 2017 when he took us to the playoffs and again when he took us to the SuperBowl.  Nothing wrong with admitting you're wrong about something. 

You're right that there's nothing wrong with admitting your mistakes, but the whole "In Mcvay we trust" BS is admitting that you think everything he does is the correct move or that it's the best for the team. It wasn't and it's not always going to be. People refuse to acknowledge his mistakes, and now I'm just curious who the new scapegoat will be when Mcvay calls a **** game and people want to pass the blame elsewhere. 

And yeah, I don't believe you for a second. Your posts last night reek of immaturity and I'd place a hefty bet next season you'll be jumping at the chance to pile on Goff and prove you were right. Not being able to handle your liquor ain't an excuse. 

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

First of all for the idiots that lack the ability to comprehend the English language we've said the Rams shouldn't make this kind of move not couldn't or wouldn't you're now 0 for 3 understanding this point so congrats on that.

We've been told the Rams needed and wanted a mobile QB that's why McVay liked Wolford so much it was necessary for his offense and that meant Goff was gone. Well you got a statue instead one he's a mediocre QB at best. 

We've been told they wanted to move off of Goff and get on a Rookie QB well that's out the window now. It's like Mad Mike Martz 2.0 with this club. 

The Rams have traded 4 first round picks 2 second round picks and 3 third round picks while paying Jared Goff $81 million all so they can end up with Matt Stafford. So that need to get a mobile young QB on a rookie deal led us to a soon to be 33 year old statue with a career 62% completion. Oh and between Goff and Stafford we're now paying the QB position $42 million this year and have yet again $30 million of dead money on the books. 

We have a nearly 40 year old LT and the rest of our line is free agents after 2021 or 2022 we have no cap money in either off season and we have no picks either. We also now have to push more money for Stafford into future years because they've effed up the cap for 2021 in colossal ways. 

Snead got played by his former apprentice pure and simple this is disgusting to watch. And for the clown questioning our fandom shut your pie hole. I've been a Rams fan longer than you've been alive so don't bring that crap at me or anybody else. I'll always be a Rams fan but I can't watch a team leadership that continually gives out these contracts to players then puts the team in cap hell by moving on from them BEFORE THE EXTENSIONS EVEN GO INTO AFFECT! I can't sit around and watch this team shoot itself in the foot. I have always liked Matt Stafford but for the people that think this trade in totality makes us a better team I simply can't and won't ever agree. This was a terrible move by the Rams and I'm taking an extended break. I already didn't like this forum and a few people have finally driven me off it. Best of luck to those of you who I've been here with for years hope you find something to enjoy in football season. 

Lighten up, dude. It's just football. Only a game. 

• Like 2

Jourdan Rodrique of the Athletic wrote a really good article last night with some insight on what was the thought process and unveiled some "in building" things that can only be shared after the fact. Some highlights below based on discussions we've all had the past few days on Goff:

Was the additional 1st round pick because we didn't have one in 2021 or because it was needed to digest Goff's contract?

"A league source told The Athletic on Saturday night that the Lions had as many as eight offers for Stafford, and each had a first-round pick included. Yet, the source said, the Rams’ offer, which included Goff, an extra first-round pick and an immediate third-round pick, “blew the others out of the water.” And the additional first-round pick sweetened it and made taking on the rest of Goff’s deal more palatable."

Why give Goff that extension if you wanted a mobile QB? 

"But in 2019 and 2020, there was a growing sense, according to people within the organization, that as defenses began to “solve” McVay’s widely acclaimed offensive system and he began to counter-adjust, that Goff was falling behind."

Did we tweak the offense to better fit Goff or were we truly lacking in talent (deep threat)?

"There was also some belief that part of McVay’s frustration stemmed from the fact that the changes he made to the offense this season, which were supposed to ease Goff’s discomfort when facing pressure and help him progress into higher-probability plays, simply did not take. The turnovers persisted, even though Goff totaled a career-low in air-yards per attempt as the offense opted toward those shorter, lower-risk concepts. The Rams also lacked a true “deep threat” receiver who could have stretched the field, but that was by design, because they were moving toward those shorter pass concepts and catch-and-run plays."

Did McVay actually like Wolford or just what he brought to the offense being different than what Goff brought?

"It wasn’t about the scoreboard or stat sheet with Wolford (the Rams scored only 18 points against a porous Arizona defense). It seemed to be more about the way Wolford moved the ball, and moved in and out of the pocket, that re-affirmed the direction in which McVay already had begun to lean.It’s as though Wolford showed McVay what was possible with a quarterback with a different skill set, in accordance with McVay’s personal expectations.McVay appreciated Wolford’s processing speed and how, even when his pocket broke down, Wolford was able to move and reset his launch point. The Rams could run more of the longer-developing plays (which were absent from a Goff-led offense this year) with Wolford or a similarly mobile quarterback, one who could move away from the pressure without having the play fully break down in the process."

4 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Very well summed up. Aside of a few posters, this message board is full of great discussion, but I understand needing to get away for a little. This move has me so sick to my stomach. Hope you find your way back, because you're one of the better ones. 

Alright I'm going to try this.

I hate the trade. I always will. Even if it wins us a Superbowl, I think we will have gotten fleeced (although I'm sure I'll be able to accept it).

That being said, it happened. Goff is no longer our QB and Stafford is our guy. There's no point in worrying about what could have been with Goff and thinking about it will only depress me more. We're moving on with Stafford and that's what it is. 

All I ask is that now that Goff is gone, people start to hold Mcvay and Snead accountable for their actions. Goff was the scapegoat for a ton of issues that aren't going away. When our FO screws up, people need to admit it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I hate the trade. I always will. Even if it wins us a Superbowl, I think we will have gotten fleeced (although I'm sure I'll be able to accept it).

That being said, it happened. Goff is no longer our QB and Stafford is our guy. There's no point in worrying about what could have been with Goff and thinking about it will only depress me more. We're moving on with Stafford and that's what it is. 

All I ask is that now that Goff is gone, people start to hold Mcvay and Snead accountable for their actions. Goff was the scapegoat for a ton of issues that aren't going away. When our FO screws up, people need to admit it. 

Even if it wins a Super Bowl?  I have to disagree with you there.  Two first rounders for a SB is a bargain to me.

Edited by DR43
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, JonStark said:

If we win a Superbowl it was 100% worth it.

But I agree, if this move blows up in the Rams face, I'll call for Snead's head. He's tied his career to this strategy of eating dead cap and being ultra-aggressive. So far, it's gotten us 3 playoff appearences and 4 winning seasons, but next year will be HUGE. I think we extend Stafford to 3 years and bring in some talent on both sides of the ball that will surprise us. 

7 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Even if it wins a Super Bowl?  I have to disagree with you there.  Two first rounders for a SB is a bargain to me.

I mean, I'll be fine with the move having happened if we win a Superbowl, but that doesn't mean I think it was the right decision to make. Makes sense in my head but it's hard to put into words. 

11 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

If we win a Superbowl it was 100% worth it.

But I agree, if this move blows up in the Rams face, I'll call for Snead's head. He's tied his career to this strategy of eating dead cap and being ultra-aggressive. So far, it's gotten us 3 playoff appearences and 4 winning seasons, but next year will be HUGE. I think we extend Stafford to 3 years and bring in some talent on both sides of the ball that will surprise us. 

Shouldn't need to bring in offensive talent. QB is the missing piece. 

Just now, LeotheLion said:

It's really funny to see Twitter blow up with "well now we need to keep Stafford upright" and "now we need to go get him a deep threat". You can't make this stuff up. 

5 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

It's really funny to see Twitter blow up with "well now we need to keep Stafford upright" and "now we need to go get him a deep threat". You can't make this stuff up. 

Well we didn't have a deep threat on the roster intentionally to aid Goff in the short passing game (mentioned above). We now have a QB who can extend plays and move the pocket to keep plays alive and allow longer routes to develop. He also throws an incredibly accurate deep ball. So yes, a deep threat will be brought in. I was mor excited to see if we can keep Floyd or JJIII if we can extend Stafford as it would free up more space than originally anticipated. Not to mention, there will be the usual veteran FA's on defense we bring in who are ring chasing (Clay Matthews, Eric Weddle, etc).

It's exciting times. I wish you guys were excited about it as well.