Rams trade 2 future first rounders, a third rounder, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford

TheRealMcCoy

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Yeah that's incorrect. We traded away 2022-23. Probably won't pick again in 2024 though lmao

Not sure what that tweet means to my statement about earning blind trust though

It means that their management style might be too aggressive, and to blindly trust everything they do (especially when they have shown to screw things up) is just dumb. If we don't win the SB in the next two years, we could be in for a real rough patch. 

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Glad you are finally admitting it’s blind

Because sure, 3 of the worst contractual mistakes we have ever seen we should all just hand wave because they are trying to rectify them. 

Literally the worst RB contract ever, and 2 major extensions that never saw a single down played on those years. And you can’t even see why people would be questioning that?

What impact did it have on this teams success? 

13 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

They have earned my blind trust and have done not much wrong outside of paying 3 players too early and then quickly looking to rectify their mistakes.

You are able to brush this off but hopefully you understand why some of us can't. It's like if you start dating someone and are telling your friends "she's perfect except she's been married 3 times in the last 4 years." 

Ultimately, I'll always trust McVay until he starts losing. Snead I have lost trust in. 

8 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

But still thankful it doesn’t stop them from getting who they want.

It doesn’t stop them from making a move, but it hinders them from making all the moves needed to make deep runs. 

This team is held together with duct tape and chicken wire, and they are now staring down a high wire act to pull this off. We were actually relatively healthy for most of the season, and the minute that caught up to us, a good team kicked our teeth in.

Thats why the cap space and draft picks are an issue. 

2 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

You are able to brush this off but hopefully you understand why some of us can't. It's like if you start dating someone and are telling your friends "she's perfect except she's been married 3 times in the last 4 years." 

Ultimately, I'll always trust McVay until he starts losing. Snead I have lost trust in. 

If those contracts caused the Rams to be bereft of talent with losing records and no hope, I would understand. But it's not even remotely close what is happening. We've been told by analysts and journalists for years that 1st round picks are the keys to rebuilding, that smart cap management is imperative, building through the draft is the only way to have sustainable success. Then Snead comes along and completely bucks the trend and...it's working. We have the most dead cap in the league, no 1st round picks, hitting on mid to late round talent as starters and this team is competing despite everything we've been told couldn't work. Why?

We draft well, we have a great coach who has proven he can find other great coaches to add to the staff, we have the building blocks in place for our core talent and we work around that. We should be praising Snead and McVay for their approach and yet people are waiting for them to fail. It doesn't make sense how an actual Rams fan could see it otherwise.

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

What impact did it have on this teams success? 

It made it impossible to add to the Offensive Line, it had us in a tail spin to find a Kicker, and it left us unable to find LBs who can not sink an elite defense. 

No to mention it left us with pocket lint and spare buttons as depth, and we couldn’t hold it together against a good team when we needed guys to step up.

Thats the big one you all just keep Ignoring, depth is needed to win the Super Bowl, you aren’t going to make it all the way through the season (now 17 games) and a playoff run without losing key players. And now the drop off to those backups becomes even larger. 

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

...it's working

Here you are again, moving the goalposts. You still haven’t addressed this, because according to you, we need to win a super bowl for this to be a success, and that has not been the case. So once again you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth and expecting no one to call you on it.

Also all that draft confidence you all have so much of, just walked on up to Detroit and we just handed over even more draft capital to him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

It made it impossible to add to the Offensive Line, it had us in a tail spin to find a Kicker, and it left us unable to find LBs who can not sink an elite defense. 

No to mention it left us with pocket lint and spare buttons as depth, and we couldn’t hold it together against a good team when we needed guys to step up.

Thats the big one you all just keep Ignoring, depth is needed to win the Super Bowl, you aren’t going to make it all the way through the season (now 17 games) and a playoff run without losing key players. And now the drop off to those backups becomes even larger. 

Why are people intentionally downplaying the team to prove their point?

We added Corbett for a 5th, Edwards and Evans filled in nicely. Blythe could use an upgrade, but we still have 2nd and two 3rds to address that if needed. Whitworth needs to be addressed long term, but we have another year.

A tailspin to find a kicker...then we found one and it was solved by week 7? How is that even being used as a point of argument?

The LB's were intentionally not addressed because we spend more time in Dime defense where we have the deepest secondary in the league that we've built in the draft. 

An NFL season is a war of attrition and we will continue to build this roster in the mid rounds, with cheap FA's and compensatory picks as we have. Our top tier guys getting injured is very difficult to replace, but that would be the case for literally any team in the league. 

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

If those contracts caused the Rams to be bereft of talent with losing records and no hope, I would understand. But it's not even remotely close what is happening. We've been told by analysts and journalists for years that 1st round picks are the keys to rebuilding, that smart cap management is imperative, building through the draft is the only way to have sustainable success. Then Snead comes along and completely bucks the trend and...it's working. We have the most dead cap in the league, no 1st round picks, hitting on mid to late round talent as starters and this team is competing despite everything we've been told couldn't work. Why?

We draft well, we have a great coach who has proven he can find other great coaches to add to the staff, we have the building blocks in place for our core talent and we work around that. We should be praising Snead and McVay for their approach and yet people are waiting for them to fail. It doesn't make sense how an actual Rams fan could see it otherwise.

I keep coming back to the Packers game. You've been all in on SB or bust mindset. If you swap Goff for Stafford in that game we are still losing.

And while the Rams do draft well, there's certain positions that normally require first round picks: tackle, QB, and edge. We haven't drafted any of those guys well in later rounds and not for lack of effort. Noteboom, Evans, Ebukam, and Lewis were all 3rd or 4th round picks. We've survived at tackle because Whitworth is a machine but we need a replacement at some point. We will need another edge. We're probably going to try a FA but I think you'll more likely to get a 2019 Clay season than 2020 Floyd. 

Last thoughts on the trade, it does make us more likely to win the SB the next 2 years. But it's robbing flexibility over the next 4 years in doing that. So I don't like the move. I obviously won't root for it to fail but I think McVay and Snead over estimated the current talent level on the roster. 

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Here you are again, moving the goalposts. You still haven’t addressed this, because according to you, we need to win a super bowl for this to be a success, and that has not been the case. So once again you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth and expecting no one to call you on it.

Also all that draft confidence you all have so much of, just walked on up to Detroit and we just handed over even more draft capital to him. 

We went to one, got outcoached by the best ever. How many teams in the league would kill to be the Rams and what they've done under Snead and McVay? 

The goal is always to win a Superbowl and now with Stafford that pressure is amplified by a million. But the idea that Snead's approach to the offseason has left this team in shambles is an outright joke. We are competitive every single year and not just 8-8 competitive, we are playoff competitive. We get to the dance and we needed something to get us over the hump. Stafford is that something. 

Now Holmes leaving is what's going to sink this franchise, is that correct? That's a new wrinkle lmao haven't heard that one yet, but kind of expected it. 

I listened to Dan Orlovsky on twitter about the trade and he absolute thinks its a no brainer for the Rams. He said the Rams have a 2yr window with this roster to win the SB and he said Stafford is a top 10 QB that in this system and that coach (McVay) will play like a top 5 QB. He said what ever the MVP odds are for Stafford for next season go get in on it now. He said the Rams definitely vault up to the top of the list of legit SB contenders next season.

Now he speaks from experience playing with Stafford and the Lions then playing with McVay and the Rams. Ill take his word over anyone else. Although I do want to hear what Greg Cosell has to say too because I love to hear his thoughts on QBs. But yeah people are dumping on Stafford but he was stuck in Detroit. We are going to see this with the likes of Burrow who is stuck in Cincy and he might not look great, is injured, will lose and then people will say Burrow isnt that good or he isnt an upgrade but if he gets traded to a great coach and organization he will flourish. 

I keep going back to Brees in San Diego. They thought he was so bad to start his career they traded for Rivers in the draft to replace him. He then goes to the Saints and link up with a young offensive mind in Payton and it changed his career. Now Stafford isnt young like Brees was at the time but 33yrs old I think Stafford can still play at a high level for a minimum of 4-5 seasons especially with the Rams having a top 10 rushing offense and a top 5 defense. Thats going to take a ton of pressure off of Stafford which will preserve him to play longer. And the thing is he has shown to be durable throughout his career as he has went 9 out of the last 10 seasons never missing a start. So Im stoked the more and more I hear and think about this move. The Rams all they need to do is get a deep threat possibly a Marvin Jones of the Lions to link back up with Stafford. Get a piece on the OL, and get an inside linebacker and a edge rusher if they cant bring back Floyd. They can do that in the draft though. The Rams are set though with Stafford. LETS GO!!!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

We went to one, got outcoached by the best ever. How many teams in the league would kill to be the Rams and what they've done under Snead and McVay? 

The goal is always to win a Superbowl and now with Stafford that pressure is amplified by a million. But the idea that Snead's approach to the offseason has left this team in shambles is an outright joke. We are competitive every single year and not just 8-8 competitive, we are playoff competitive. We get to the dance and we needed something to get us over the hump. Stafford is that something. 

Now Holmes leaving is what's going to sink this franchise, is that correct? That's a new wrinkle lmao haven't heard that one yet, but kind of expected it. 

Idk man, it's fine to be happy we got Stafford, but if you think we won this trade you're out of your mind. Holmes fleeced the crap out of us. 

But nothing has changed from how I felt a few days ago. We gave up on Goff too early and lost a lot of valuable cap and draft picks on top of it. Could it work? Sure. Is Stafford an upgrade? Right now he is. Can both of those things be true and we still got worked? Absolutely. 

19 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Why are people intentionally downplaying the team to prove their point?

No one is downplaying anything. These are actual issues that have been harped on all year. Not just now. And no, losing Edwards and Kupp were just as big of issues against the Packers as a hampered Donald was, because their replace,ents we not providing enough  

16 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Now Holmes leaving is what's going to sink this franchise

Literally no one is saying that any of this is sinking the franchise. That is you, taking what we are calling out as legitimate criticism (something you are lashing out so much against) and falsely pushing it to an end that no one has said that I can find, it’s your side that has said they would take 10+ years of bad teams for one Super Bowl. Many have concerns about this, including al, those insiders and reporters that you hold in such high regard, and we aren’t going to just slap a smile on and say “in McVay we trust” anymore. Because to me, that is some loser mentality. “We sucked for so long, and this guy makes us pretty good right now so I’m never going to question a single thing he ever does, because he may not like that”

8 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Idk man, it's fine to be happy we got Stafford, but if you think we won this trade you're out of your mind. Holmes fleeced the crap out of us. 

It's undeniable. Snead used his relationship with Holmes to basically let him know whatever his best offer is we will beat it. They were 100% done with Goff and were willing to pay any price to do it. 

• Like 2