Rams trade 2 future first rounders, a third rounder, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford

TheRealMcCoy

6 minutes ago, btfd16 said:

I’m still dying some of y’all said you’re  “done” with the team😂 over two picks.... we aren’t the Texans or have Snyder as an owner. We just won 11 games lol

To each their own.. it’ll suck to lose some people who do have a good knowledge of the game. Whether we agree with each other or not it always makes for good discussion. 

16 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Gentlemen. Good afternoon!

A mighty fine bandwagon you've got here. Is there room for another? (I'm in the market for a #2 team while my #1 team plays like #2.)

Hello sir! Absolutely more than welcome! Not sure if you’re serious but if so it’ll be nice for some fresh insights and discussions! 

43 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Schrager reporting that Lions wanted Goff. Other teams called the Rams about trading for Goff. 

This should kill the silly notion that an extra first rounder was needed to take on Goff. 

It was to take on his full contract. I truly believe taking the full honus of the contract is why the extra 1st was needed.

22 minutes ago, btfd16 said:

I’m still dying some of y’all said you’re  “done” with the team😂 over two picks.... we aren’t the Texans or have Snyder as an owner. We just won 11 games lol

Some people are just still in complete shock. It’ll wear off soon. 

• Like 2

I was a big Goff supporter, but I think this needed to be done. Goff just isn't the guy. I tried to defend him for the last few years and 2018 gave Goff some leeway in 2019. What he showed this year is that he can't be relied upon as the guy. Goff is an average starter, but we need better than average. When the pocket breaks down Goff is pretty helpless. Stafford is one of the better QBs in the league when under pressure (https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/stafford-highest-passer-rating-under-pressure-pff). Add that with some added mobility (think Wolford), I think the Rams are going to be pretty productive over the next few years offensively.

I would have preferred Watson as well, but I think this goes to show Watson was way out of our range. Simply don't have the capital to make that move. I can live with this trade so long as we take another step offensively. If not, I'm more than willing to come down on McVay and his scheme. He has now hand selected Stafford, so no excuses.

As for the compensation, I'm less worried. First round picks are the most overvalued assets in football. Simple economical research (https://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1138&context=oid_papers) shows just that. Snead is not dumb and understands that as well. We'll keep working the compensation formula in our favor every year gathering more mid round picks and be just fine.

Edited by LARams91
  • Like 2

Hello Rams fans (especially @El Ramster, we used to do sigs when that was a thing).

I see a lot of comments in this thread about how your team was getting disgruntled over Goff's inconsistent play. I have to warn you, Stafford has moments of that too.

I'll give you a breakdown of Stafford's play from my point of view, someone who has seen almost every one of his games. People can argue about what he has or hasn't won, what he has or hasn't had around him, I say welcome to my world for the last decade. I'm talking about what I've seen of his actual play.

- His arm talent has always been and still is elite. Post routes splitting the safeties, go routes that get in between the corner and the safety coming over, out routes where he throws from one side of the field to the other, no problem.

- That's only if he's accurate. I'd say his accuracy has been on the better side in these last couple of seasons, but over the course of his career he's struggled with really fine accuracy, like hitting receivers in stride to gain more yards, or always fitting that tight window in coverage on medium throws. Often it's seemed like his throws are a little behind guys, or a little high, and his deep ball is hit or miss to be sure.

- His mobility might be the most underrated in the whole league. He can move a little bit and has a good sense of when to take some yardage with his feet.

- Despite his mobility, his pocket awareness and ability to extend plays is mediocre. He is capable of extending a play at times, but he's not like Aaron Rodgers where you can't seem to get him off the field sometimes. You can get Stafford off the field.

- When he's good, he's really good, but I have rarely seen him maintain his highest level of play for even a full game, let alone weeks at a time. There are times where he looks like he's barely out there, unable to make or even attempt game changing plays, throwing short out routes and not even completing those. This is the one factor I think could be most affected by his surrounding cast, so this is the biggest thing I'll be looking at with him going forward.

- But here's the nuance most of you Rams fans probably don't know or might not even understand: Stafford has never been challenged. The Lions have never, in his time, have an organizational mindset like that. He's never so much as had a backup that could press him for playing time; the Lions have avoided that. They have given him his chosen OC for years now. And although I do believe he's a competitor, it's been obvious for almost all his years that the Lions would never win or even be realistically expected to win. It will be fascinating to see how much of that edge he still has, or how he'll react if he plays inconsistently and someone like Ramsey gets in his face or disses him.

Hope my takes interested you! I'd say good luck, but every game you lose in the next two years means another slot the Lions' picks move up, so I'll be rooting against you. See ya, Rams fans!

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Hello Rams fans (especially @El Ramster, we used to do sigs when that was a thing).

I see a lot of comments in this thread about how your team was getting disgruntled over Goff's inconsistent play. I have to warn you, Stafford has moments of that too.

I'll give you a breakdown of Stafford's play from my point of view, someone who has seen almost every one of his games. People can argue about what he has or hasn't won, what he has or hasn't had around him, I say welcome to my world for the last decade. I'm talking about what I've seen of his actual play.

- His arm talent has always been and still is elite. Post routes splitting the safeties, go routes that get in between the corner and the safety coming over, out routes where he throws from one side of the field to the other, no problem.

- That's only if he's accurate. I'd say his accuracy has been on the better side in these last couple of seasons, but over the course of his career he's struggled with really fine accuracy, like hitting receivers in stride to gain more yards, or always fitting that tight window in coverage on medium throws. Often it's seemed like his throws are a little behind guys, or a little high, and his deep ball is hit or miss to be sure.

- His mobility might be the most underrated in the whole league. He can move a little bit and has a good sense of when to take some yardage with his feet.

- Despite his mobility, his pocket awareness and ability to extend plays is mediocre. He is capable of extending a play at times, but he's not like Aaron Rodgers where you can't seem to get him off the field sometimes. You can get Stafford off the field.

- When he's good, he's really good, but I have rarely seen him maintain his highest level of play for even a full game, let alone weeks at a time. There are times where he looks like he's barely out there, unable to make or even attempt game changing plays, throwing short out routes and not even completing those. This is the one factor I think could be most affected by his surrounding cast, so this is the biggest thing I'll be looking at with him going forward.

- But here's the nuance most of you Rams fans probably don't know or might not even understand: Stafford has never been challenged. The Lions has almost never, in his time, have an organizational mindset like that. He's never so much as had a backup that could press him for playing time; the Lions have avoided that. They have given him his chosen OC for years now. And although I do believe he's a competitor, it's been obvious for almost all his years that the Lions would never win or even be realistically expected to win. It will be fascinating to see how much of that edge he still has, or how he'll react if he plays inconsistently and someone like Ramsey gets in his face or disses him.

Hope my takes interested you! I'd say good luck, but every game you lose in the next two years means another slot the Lions' picks move up, so I'll be rooting against you. See ya, Rams fans!

I appreciate the time to make this post! Very good insight on the situation. I’ve always been a huge fan of stafford. I’ve personally always thought he was very underrated and was never given what he needs to succeed. I could be wrong (since I’m a fan but haven’t watched every game like lions fans have) but I just don’t think it was ideal to be there In Detroit. I respect the hell out of his toughness and love his personality. I’m excited to see how he does and hope he loves LA. 

I also know stafford isn’t perfect. I know he isn’t going to throw dimes on every play. I understand what we’re getting. I’ve said it for a while now, I don’t think the rams need an absolute stud / elite guy to get them over the hump. They need a guy to read a defense and just be smart with the ball. I think stafford can do exactly what the rams will ask him to do. The offense will probably change a bit now but I’m excited to see exactly what IS asked of him. Just like I was excited about Goff when we got him. Hope this works out for both teams!

27 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

- But here's the nuance most of you Rams fans probably don't know or might not even understand: Stafford has never been challenged. The Lions have never, in his time, have an organizational mindset like that. He's never so much as had a backup that could press him for playing time; the Lions have avoided that. They have given him his chosen OC for years now. And although I do believe he's a competitor, it's been obvious for almost all his years that the Lions would never win or even be realistically expected to win. It will be fascinating to see how much of that edge he still has, or how he'll react if he plays inconsistently and someone like Ramsey gets in his face or disses him.

This is fair.

I guess the one thing I'd add is that Stafford has rarely had a complete supporting cast to work with. It has never been "good": he has had only one Top 10 defense during his career with the Lions (2014 - 11-5 record), no rushing support whatsoever, and his offensive line has routinely been a weakness. He has had weapons, but rarely a complete supporting cast.

Even now: both Golladay (who missed the majority of 2020) and Jones and contested catch guys, and neither gets separation.

Despite these underwhelming supporting casts, the Lions had four winning seasons and three playoff appearances with Stafford under center. There's no question: he was the reason for the success.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Appreciate it, this is very good info.

I believe the Rams did their due diligence on him but even more so I think this was more of dumping Goff and maintaining competitive at the same time than the Rams just going after Stafford because I fully believe if they could, they’d get Watson. 

Just the fact that Stafford isn’t as turnover prone or gets fooled by defensive coverages alone makes him an upgrade over Goff

Edited by rocky_rams
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, LARams91 said:

It was to take on his full contract. I truly believe taking the full honus of the contract is why the extra 1st was needed.

I mean, one thing to bear in mind is that Brad Holmes predated McVay with us and was very much a part of the staff that evaluated Goff when he was drafted (when the staff chose Goff over Wentz with the #1).

Factor in the Dan Campbell (at his heart, he's a Parcells guy) may not have been keen on a QB in this class that wasn't Lawrence (who they're almost certainly not going to have the shot at) - I'd need to re-look at the Parcells checklist for what he deemed to be "franchise QB prospects" but I feel fairly secure in what I remember in saying that Fields, Wilson, and Lance don't tick every box.

Just food for thought.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

This is fair.

I guess the one thing I'd add is that Stafford has rarely had a complete supporting cast to work with. It has never been "good": he has had only one Top 10 defense during his career with the Lions (2014 - 11-5 record), no rushing support whatsoever, and his offensive line has routinely been a weakness. He has had weapons, but rarely a complete supporting cast.

Even now: both Golladay (who missed the majority of 2020) and Jones and contested catch guys, and neither gets separation.

Despite these underwhelming supporting casts, the Lions had four winning seasons and three playoff appearances with Stafford under center. There's no question: he was the reason for the success.

Yeah, this was something I brought up in the thread in NFL News.  Not that it's a common occurrence for it to happen for every QB, but you guys seemed to have an innate ability that whenever 2-3 of the main factors for stability for a QB's situation would line up for y'all, 1-2 of the other ones would - almost without fail - turn **** up.  He finally gets a HC/OC combination that he seems to really gel with (Caldwell/Cooter) and the OL and defense fall to pieces, etc.

On a separate note, I love McVay. Dude runs the team exactly how I run my businesses. We are both type As 

if an employee does well he deserves to get paid, if an employee starts falling off then he needs to be evaluated and if he’s holding the team back, he needs to be let go. People just need to do their ******* job and everything will take care of itself. If not then there are consequences 

is it costly? Yes. Is it risky? Yes. Is it unconventional? Prolly. But if you hit it right, you can see success and you’ll weed out ones who don’t fit the culture and find others who will, at a price of course. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, this was something I brought up in the thread in NFL News.  Not that it's a common occurrence for it to happen for every QB, but you guys seemed to have an innate ability that whenever 2-3 of the main factors for stability for a QB's situation would line up for y'all, 1-2 of the other ones would - almost without fail - turn **** up.  He finally gets a HC/OC combination that he seems to really gel with (Caldwell/Cooter) and the OL and defense fall to pieces, etc.

Definitely.

It's hard to explain why. I know that the Stafford/Calvin/Suh nucleus was destroyed largely because of the old rookie wage scale.

I'll also say: early missed picks on skill positions were devastating for this team (as they are for all teams). All missed skill positions drafted within the first two rounds in years 2010-2018:

Jahvid Best (RB) - 1st Round, 2010
Titus Young (WR) - 2nd round, 2011
Mikel Leshoure (RB) - 2nd round, 2011
Ryan Broyles (WR) - 2nd Round, 2012
Eric Ebron (TE) - 1st Round, 2014
Ameer Abdullah (RB) - 2nd Round, 2015

That list is super embarrassing. (And doesn't, of course, include the other draft busts.)

I don’t care if it was a straight up trade. It’s the fact that we traded 2 first for a aging QB. That’s not smart team management at all. You’re putting all your chips on all scenarios being perfect. This is a imperfect game/world! This is so freaking scary! 

Our stock is being heavily shorted volatility  is 900000% 

HOLD THE FREAKING LINE! 

Anything short of 14-3 (13-3) is a huge disappointment. Let’s really see if Goff held our team back. It was BS because those first 2 years It was Goff and the O carrying us. Now that the D had its first great year! We’re wasting their primes? Lmao..

God the squad being injured really fffed us up. Had we won that GB or been healthy the outcome could have been so much different.