Rams trade 2 future first rounders, a third rounder, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford

TheRealMcCoy

Rams made a run for Rodgers but the packers were adamant on not trading him. 

ive said it before.. I don’t think desean Watson is going anywhere. If he was he’d be a ram. I’d be willing to bet they tried to grab him and either he’s insanely expensive or he isn’t being traded. Overpaying a bit for stafford is looking better and better in my eyes. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Rams made a run for Rodgers but the packers were adamant on not trading him. 

ive said it before.. I don’t think desean Watson is going anywhere. If he was he’d be a ram. I’d be willing to bet they tried to grab him and either he’s insanely expensive or he isn’t being traded. Overpaying a bit for stafford is looking better and better in my eyes. 

I thought Rodgers was going to be a Ram. Would have been fun! 

7 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I thought Rodgers was going to be a Ram. Would have been fun! 

I didn’t buy into it too much but only because I didn’t think Green Bay would do it. That would have been A LOT of fun lol I’m definitely a big Rodgers fan. Probably an unpopular opinion. I know many dont like his personality and “diva” ways. 

Edited by MDY10

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

Wow.

Being a Bears fan I've seen a lot of Stafford over the years. Dude is a warrior, you'll love him.

I'm still kind of in shock at what ya'll gave up, though.

Most of us are still in shock. He’s definitely gritty and solid. Hopefully it all pans out. It’ll be cool to see what he can do in this offense. When he had that solid run game with Reggie bush ages ago they were tough to beat. 

I can’t believe how many people here are having a “the sky is falling” mentality over getting a significant upgrade at the games most important position. Of course we overpaid. He’s a Quarterback—you will ALWAYS overpay for a quarterback in one way or another. The guy is a very good QB and is also younger than most people realize—he’s only 32. He’s not gonna be on this team for just two years. This guy is gonna be a Ram and he wanted to be here too. That doesn’t get you excited? I wanted Jared Goff to be the guy—I REALLY wanted him to. But after five years, I’ve seen enough. He just doesn’t have “it.” Stafford does and I’m stoked to see what level he can bring this offense to. A QB who can throw this team on his back? When’s the last time we had someone who did that?

With all that said, I do still like Jared Goff especially as a person and I’ll always root for him unless we’re facing him. I don’t like that he took the entire brunt of the blame at the end he always took it on the chin. I hope he succeeds in Detroit 

Now the onus is on McVay too. You got your guy—no excuses.

• Like 1

You are too focus on the QB position. Yes it's an upgrade at this position but at what cost ? 

We are gonna lose some key player because we won't have the cap to resign them. 

It would be hard to upgrade the OL and LB position also. 

We are going to restruct some contract but we are already over 40M over the cap...it will be hard. 

It's not only Stafford, it's the whole team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flounch said:

You are too focus on the QB position. Yes it's an upgrade at this position but at what cost ? 

We are going to restruct some contract but we are already over 40M over the cap...it will be hard. 

The whole team is good. I keep hearing this every year. Yes the Rams are going to lose pieces but they always lose pieces but they find other pieces to replace the pieces they lost and they remain good. They lost Suh, Peters, Talib, Weddle, Littleton, Joyner, Fowler Jr. all on the defensive side of the ball and they ended this season with the best defense in the league. You worried  about Rams losing coaches. They lost both their coordinators last offseason and replaced them during a pandemic and still was successful. Biggest one was losing Wade and replacing him with Staley and again the Rams defense got better. So at some point you have to feel the FO and McVay knows what they are doing when finding players and coaches to continue to help this team win and not just win in the regular season but win in the playoffs.

They lost Saffold, Sullivan, Gurley, and Cooks and at the end of the season they had a top 12 offense with a top 10 rushing game. The issue the Rams had with Goff. McVay didn’t believe Goff could consistently make the plays to help the offense go from good to great consistently to go into Lambeau and win. Stafford is the perfect match for McVay system. Everyone who KNOWS FOOTBALL said as such. Even the haters of the Rams imo like Skip Bayless said he love this move by the Rams. He said next season they will be the biggest threat to the Bucs. He mentioned how both Arians and ARod said how underrated Stafford is. My best friend hate the Rams as a Saints fan first and a Niners fan second. He said he think this was a great move for the Rams. He thinks the Rams can make a run now with Stafford to a potential Superbowl. Nick Wright said it could be Rams v Chiefs in the Superbowl in 2022 like it should’ve been in 2018. I wouldn’t say Nick was a hater he actually loves McVay he just wasn’t sold on Goff as QB. So I can see why he might be all in on them moving forward with Stafford. But Dan Orlovsky, I listened to the guys who do the football work over at CBSSports like they all love this move for the Rams. They think it’s an absolute no brainer and think minimum Rams get back to the divisional round of the playoffs this season with Stafford. 

Edited by stl4life07

3 hours ago, Flounch said:

That's my thing. I wanted to see how Goff matured in his late 20s, but that's all unknown and could've gone either way.

The thing that's not up for debate is that the Rams still need to upgrade their IOL, need to get a deep threat, need to address the LB, and need to replace JJIII and Floyd. Yes we have in house candidates for both (especially JJIII), but anyone saying there won't be a huge drop off is crazy. Losing an extra 8M and those draft picks will make it even harder to get this stuff done. 

And some will say "we can restructure Donald or Ramsey". Well yeah, but we could've done that anyway. 

3 hours ago, Flounch said:

The one thing I will say is that we don’t yet know what the Salary Cap is for 2020. So yes we are over, how much over becomes the real question. ($40m is just the most we will be)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

I can’t believe how many people here are having a “the sky is falling” mentality over getting a significant upgrade at the games most important position. Of course we overpaid. He’s a Quarterback—you will ALWAYS overpay for a quarterback in one way or another. The guy is a very good QB and is also younger than most people realize—he’s only 32. He’s not gonna be on this team for just two years. This guy is gonna be a Ram and he wanted to be here too. That doesn’t get you excited? I wanted Jared Goff to be the guy—I REALLY wanted him to. But after five years, I’ve seen enough. He just doesn’t have “it.” Stafford does and I’m stoked to see what level he can bring this offense to. A QB who can throw this team on his back? When’s the last time we had someone who did that?

With all that said, I do still like Jared Goff especially as a person and I’ll always root for him unless we’re facing him. I don’t like that he took the entire brunt of the blame at the end he always took it on the chin. I hope he succeeds in Detroit 

Now the onus is on McVay too. You got your guy—no excuses.

To me it is not the sky is falling but more about utilization of resources. We paid Goff top dollar to then sell him at his lowest point. It is bad business. The counter which I'd agree is it is worse business to continue playing a bad QB. I think for me personally it comes down to 1.) I still had hope in Goff and 2.) I'm not that high on Stafford. 

Look at Stafford's first 5 years. If the Lions put him on the market then his value would be similar to Goff's. People have beaten the point into the ground but the notion that Goff is not going to improve is foolish. It might be true but there's so many examples of that not being the case. So I'm not sure what McVay/Snead are doing that they felt comfortable September 2019 of giving Goff the deal they did to sell 10 cents on the dollar 17 months later. Obviously McVay watched back the Lions, Bears, and SB from 2018 repeatedly. We didn't have to pay Goff after the 2018 season, were there not enough concerns from the tape to table discussions if Goff's representatives were pushing for that much guaranteed money?

But I agree with the last point. This is on McVay. If this turns out terribly a lot of people will be fired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

The one thing I will say is that we don’t yet know what the Salary Cap is for 2020. So yes we are over, how much over becomes the real question. ($40m is just the most we will be)

From things I've seen, by restructuring some contracts and extending Stafford we could be anywhere from 21 Mil - 35 Mil under the cap. There's a lot of flexibility. Snead even said there are situations they get both JJIII and Floyd back...Not counting on either but just something to consider.

18 minutes ago, LARams91 said:

From things I've seen, by restructuring some contracts and extending Stafford we could be anywhere from 21 Mil - 35 Mil under the cap. There's a lot of flexibility. Snead even said there are situations they get both JJIII and Floyd back...Not counting on either but just something to consider.

We can do a lot of things with the cap but that money just doesn't disappear it gets kicked down the road to be accounted for in later years. It would provide relief this year but it would just be messing up future years. Unfortunately the way this front office and McVay do business and hand out high end contracts it's become necessary to mess up future years. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

We can do a lot of things with the cap but that money just doesn't disappear it gets kicked down the road to be accounted for in later years. It would provide relief this year but it would just be messing up future years. Unfortunately the way this front office and McVay do business and hand out high end contracts it's become necessary to mess up future years. 

Yea but in those years the assumption would be we would have way more space because we (in theory) aren't in the midst of a pandemic. Just like this year we got an artificial drop, we will receive a corresponding increase.